Guest profile pictures removed

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Guest profile pictures removed

I have been an Airbnb host for many years, but am very concerned to find just now that profile pictures of potential guests are now not being displayed until a booking is confirmed. For me and I am sure many other hosts who welcome guests into our homes it is vitally important to be able to see what a guest is like and make a judgement about their suitability for accommodation within ones home where there may also be children. I am VERY concerned about this decision that seems to encourage 'incognito' travelling, and I cannot continue to offer accommodation unless hosts are able to see a good clear and recognisable profile picture of potential guests BEFORE we accept a new booking.

Withdrawing profile pictures makes selecting our guests a lottery, and takes away from us the ability to exercise choice. This is not what I regard as responsible hosting. I have always valued the vetting process provided by Airbnb but have many times expressed my concern that so many guests seem to seek accommodation with avatar profile images. In my opinion this is an insult to the hospitality offered by hosts. This new decision to hide all profile pictures of guests until after acceptance is not acceptable, because it encourages this incognito invasion of a hosts private home.

250 Replies 250
John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Hi Laura, and think you for writing to share your views on this importnat subject.  Very concerned to read that you have had problems with guests in the past. A number of other people have written to me privately to tell me about similar experiences. It seems that we must all be on guard and sceptical of all potential new guests.  But I can say that all the guests I have allowed have been perfect and many have become very good friends.

But you raise another issue which is how difficult is seems to be to actually report an incident or get help from a real person - as opposed to a chatting community.  I get the impression that Airbnb has designed the web site so as to prevent direct person to person communication.  I don't think it was like this many years ago when I did have lots of questions and I found I could speak to a real person very quickly.

I am busy right now butI will report more on this issue when I have drafted a formal letter sumarising all the oints made on this debate.  I may also do a BBC interview about the matter next week. John

Just as clarification I am survivor of different person and in another state, not a guess and I been try to make some money by renting place but my batter can be checking for me and if I can’t see the picture I am risk of accepting my batter, he may cancel of course or I can cancel also but the problem is that if that happen I may have to move to another state again.

also some stakers for maybe some of us, again also for female living along.

but I did have one experiences with one guest that I never report because he exchanged his attitude, he started to flirt with me and the experience was not nice but soonest I spoke to him about me having a boyfriend, I

pretent I didn’t understood his flirting and I told him in writing I just want to let you know so you don’t get surprised my boyfriend sometimes comes here and in that case I would introduced to you but sometimes comes without let me know, soonest sent that text to him, he exchange his attitude and become respectful but of course he didn’t do a bad or good review, because maybe he just wanted to flirt.

so we are in risk cause some ppl are their intention, I used to have single picture but for this news I felt obligated to exchange one with three ppl and also to block instant booking and is not right what we have to do for this exchange, please keep me posted cause I am lil scare of this exchange.

Chris694
Level 3
New York, NY

John I couldn’t agree more. I’ve been hosting for many years and this is an extremely tone deaf and out of touch move by Airbnb. Further tilting the scales away from hosts. It’s shameful for Airbnb to do this especially in light of the many documented horror stories of guests trashing homes and Airbnb leaving the hosts high and dry. 

Agreed. Really, whithout hosts, what is AirBnB. we're treated as if we don't really matter, like it's all about the guests, but the supply of guests is clearly greater than the supply of hosts, hence hosts are the backbone of their financial model.

It sure doesn't feel that way.

Here is how you can bypass Airbnb's stupid police and view hidden profile photos: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-View-Hidden-Profile-Photos/m-p/919440#M228298

We just had an enquiry today about a 7 month rental. No profile photo, one verification. A student, asking me to commit to a $16,500 contract!

Really?

Have I discriminated by outright rejecting the request? No.

Age? Don't care. Race? Don't know. Sex? Androygenes name provided.

My rejection is based on a cost benefit analysis, and the likelyhood of the situation going sideways. I elected to forego the "big money, longer term" rental bsed on the information I had available. (one verification, no reviews)

AirBnB is taking away one of the things I use to make that decision. (the photo)

How about if AirBnB does some proper screening, and not consider the guest posting a picture as "one verification", ESPECIALLY IF I CAN'T SEE THE PHOTO!

I am responsible for either determining if I accept or reject the request, but where does a proper vetting process fit in. I cannot do that with the information I have available. And what of proper "Gov't ID" documentation verification? We've read about people photographing the back of a ceral box as "gov't ID". 

This instills little confidence. 

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Hi Ralph and ChristinA,
Thank you for your excellent message which absolutely highligts the issues that we all now face with this ill considered new policy.  I have started looking at alternative to Airbnb and it seems 'Home stay' could be a better alternative.

In the next few weeks I will prepare a strong letter to the directors of Airbnb summarising all the issues people have told me - and I am very grateful for many private messages with some horrific stories.

I will publish my letter here so others can read it and send their own letters in support.

John N

Russell63
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

you can add that i am more likely to decline offers now. It's my home and in 4 years everything has been fine. I value seeing a face, it helps me decide if my loft is a good fit for the person. Surely they need to hide hosts faces now? Though i suspect they won't as it will affect bookings. I wonder if they actualy asked hosts about this idea? Probably not....

Sylvia308
Level 2
Madrid, ES

Exactly what I was looking for the first time I look for advice at airbnb community. I was totaly shocked about this new policy and your works express exactly what I was thinking. Hope it gets somewhere.

Julia-and-Giovanni0
Level 3
Montefioralle, Italy

I have only just found about this new Airbnb policy today, having cancelled an instant booking yesterday because the guest had no profile picture (note - you can only cancel instant bookings 3 times in a year before being heavily penalised).

I understand that this is some sort of anti-discrimination measure, but as a host I feel discriminated against - I show a photo of myself and I am sure that people make decisions based on that as well as the reviews and the description of my place.

As of today I have changed my profile to include my companion’s name as well as mine and am using a picture of both of us  - luckily I have the option to do this.  I am often alone in my isolated house where I rent out a room and am aware of my vulnerability when welcoming strangers into my home.

I admit that, yes, a profile picture of potential guests allows me to make a judgement as to whether I feel comfortable with them. Of course the guest  could be using a picture of a pot plant of a comic book character (I would not accept their request), but 99% of my 350 or so guests have used actual pictures of themselves and this has lent a certain familiarity when I have met them in person.

I once positively discriminated in favour of a guest who had a few bad reviews on the basis of her photo - and she turned out to be an excellent guest.

I want to have that choice to decide, not have the Airbnb corporation impose its mis-guided decisions based on superficial political correctness on me.

(I would also be very grateful if Airbnb would have a word with Brian Chesky about his man-spreading habit, but that's another discussion topic....) 

Enrico204
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb New rule

I have hosted over 2000 guest and have over 800 enthusiastic reviews and I have never declined a request based on someone’s look but I have always requested guests (specially those new to Airbnb) to add a picture to their profile before accepting the request. This is because I want to see who I let into my own home.

The Oxford Dictionary states:
Discrimination =
1. The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
2. Recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and one other.

It may well be another case when you rent a whole flat but, in my view, the whole point here is that when it comes to your own home, where you live with your family, it is a basic human right to be able to choose who we let in , i.e. to “discriminate” .

It is not a crime. It is not unfair.

We choose our friends, correct? That is a form of “discrimination”.
We choose our spouses correct? That is a form of “discrimination”.
We choose who we let into our own homes. It is one of our fundamental rights.

It is not my case but if I do not feel comfortable having person into my own home who has a sexual orientation different from mine , I should and I do have all the rights not to have them as guests in my own home.

If a single lady is not feeling comfortable with hosting men in her own home, she should be allowed to choose, to “discriminate” this without receiving a subliminal message that maybe she is being unjust or prejudicial. It is within her human rights to decide who she lets into her own home.

If someone does not like to have men with a beard around because they awaken sad memories of the deceased grandad, one should be free to exercise the right to choose (discriminate) not to let them into their own homes.
How do you do this without seeing a picture ?

One may decline a request not as an unfair and prejudicial treatment but as a measure of self respect.
If my ex had red long hair. I may be painfully reminded of her/him if I host a lady/man with long red hair.

I actually believe that it is a fundamental human right violation to deny the choice to “discriminate “ who we let into our own homes. It could be argued that it goes against article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights which states:
“1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right “

According the laws of most western Countries, not even the police, with the exception of emergency situations, can enter your home without your permission unless with a Court order.

Does Airbnb have more powers than a Court ?

There have been changes imposed on us that are already unfair and heavy to swallow. Take the 48 hrs penalty free cancellation policy.
If the guest can cancel penalty free why should the host not have the same right? Is it me or is this a one way street? How fair is it?

It must be said that we are not forced to be hosts and we can leave whenever we want to. The truth is that Airbnb is a private business and therefore it is not democratic. We have the choice between: take it all as it is, or, leave it all as it is. Unfortunately, because out there there is no real alternative, Airbnb has the upper hand. It is their business, they decide. Full stop.

There is a possibility, a small possibility, that if enough of us write and complain they might actually listen.
Am I being naïve?

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Thank you Enrio for your breath-taking legal and logical analysis of the situation we all face!  I am VERY grateful to you for the clarity you bring.  
I have been busy with other things recenty, but soon want to draft a message to the directors of Airbnb sumarising the views expressed by hosts on this matter.  Can I quote parts of your message?

The next problem is how can such a letter be presented to the attention of the three (?) major partner directors of the company?  Can anyone give guidnce on this?  It seems that like many other internet companies it is very difficult to actually communicate with the senior officers.

John

Allan147
Level 3
Brisbane City, Australia

I understand reddit is a really good place to gain support and get help from a community when trying to go public about many issues 

Do you have any links?

Well said Enrico.