Guest "no call, no show"

Answered!

Guest "no call, no show"

Howdy.

I've recently had a guest who requested a booking for which I confirmed their stay. I followed up by asking the estimated arrival which was conveyed at a specific time to me in the evening. 2 1/2 hours after the agreed arrival, I followed up again with no response from the guest. The guest never showed up.

The next day, the guest messages me at noon stating they was a misunderstanding and they booked another room and were confused about the pricing. They've stayed at  other Airbnb properties as an added note. The guest is now stating they would like a refund or may call their bank for a charge back.

Any other hosts come across a situation similar? Any thoughts?

1 Best Answer
Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Roy,

This is a hard lesson to learn about NEVER CANCELING. Especialy with Guests who do not bother to communicate.  Unfortunately it happens a lot to Hosts that don't do the due diligence of learning about the terms of service and airbnb's contractual agreement before they post their listing.   If you only corresponded through the airbnb email platform there will be a record of your messages with your no show Guest. If that is the case you may be able to fix your cancelation.  Remember they were not courteous enough to return you message and did not even let you know they weren't coming, so it is on them not you

Linda posted some good advice and I hope you get it resolved.  To save yourself a lot of headaches in the future take the time to do some more reading on airbnb's terms of service.  I have a couple of hard and fast rules that have helped me along the way.  1.) Set firm, clear rules and then don't break my own rules.  2.) Don't break airbnb's rules and if I didn't know them, I learned them.  3.)  Always communicate through the airbnb email platform as it is for my protection as well as the Guests.  4.) I never let Guests dictate to me or try to get me to go around airbnb; I never take cash for anything that is a part of my  airbnb listing and business.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Hope everything works out and Happy Hosting.

Eloise

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

I find no shows more annoying than anything else, if somebody cancels at last minute, I may refund in part or in full , but for a no show, never.

David
Rob160
Level 2
Pooler, GA

I just had a guest never showed up! Here is a timeline of the events Saturday 4/22/17:

12:52 pm I called and texted him to ask him what time he planned on checking in.  He told me 5pm, I told him we will be going to the pool till 5-6pm and asked if that time will work? After contacting the guest on his cell phone him, he said that was fine and would coordinate with me when he was planning on leaving Tybee beach.

At 4:41pm I texted him stating that we were still at the pool and checking to see if they were heading to the house.  His response was, "Take your time we just reached the beach" at 4:43pm.  

At 6:00 - 6:15pm I get home. 

At 7:55pm I get an incoming call from him from someone stating that they dont know who this guy is, but he is drunk and passed out on Tybee.  This person asks me for my address which I did not give out, due to my 10 year old son staying with me, I dont want drunk people at my house.  Shortly after this call I send a message to him through Airbnb messenger stating that I have my son and if he is intoxicated, he is not welcome at my house and to let me know what is going on.

At 8:41pm I get an airbnb message from him that is blank.

At 11:30pm I get two missed calls which wake me up from him.  

From 1:02am - 2:04am he continues to harass me stating that I denied him entry and I wasn't on time.  However, I was at my house when I said I would be there and left a party early to meet with this guy and he was the one who didn’t show up.  
We-Love-Dubai-0
Level 3
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

That's awful! Obviously, he broke the rules of Airbnb and won't get a refund. You should get paid in full! 

I am awaiting my 3 guests at the moment. I have sent them a message yesterday and no reply.  Surely when you are in a foreign country you will stay in touch about your reservation. My listing states that arrivals are between 10:00 and 20:00.  I agree with no refunding. 

Cheap-Sleep0
Level 2
RVK, Iceland

Hey ROY,

you followed all the stupid rules on this stupid website! you confirmed with the guests and they even replied. 

so make sure you set your cancellation policy at strict. 

they just need to contact airbnb on their part if they are a no show.. because technically the no show should be paid for as your listing for the one room is not bookable by any other person in need!. 

so let them follow the rules and the stupid airbnb procedures and stop answering this **bleep** head... tell him to contact airbnb for a resolution. 

you have proof on the conversation and the confirmation which is all you need. 

you cannot do anything more so stop replying to him. He is just another ignorant nobody that thinks that the world owes him, for his dump stupid decisions, but you owe him **bleep**. he should be sorry for not talking to you prior.. ignore him. 

you dont owe him anything. and he has to know that. 

if you buy a flight ticket and dont show up or show up late. you loose your flight and your money. 

it is simple. 

you followed the rules and he has to follow the rules. let him deal with it. 

the money from his card or paypal goes to airbnb NOT you direct.. 

airbnb pays you...and monitors these payments. so no have nothing to worry about. 

peace.

takk 

Steve695
Level 3
Valparaiso, IN

Over the last 6 months to a year I have had some very scary experiences as a host due to air BN b's lack of verifying the guest and today had a guest request my room for tonight it said 3:00 p.m. check in then they said they wanted to be here at 1030I told them there was no way I could do that I would get it ready by one o'clock not getting a response after I have accepted their request

I asked if everything was OK and the guest said O never mind I don't need it anymore I call  Air bnb very frustrated and again got no support I have started recording my conversations with air BNB and when I told them that I was recording it they would not continue the phone call ......I tried and tried nicely to just ask what is air BN b's policy why will they not allow the host or the guest to record the call the same way they are recording the call and twice now air BNB has hung up on me

Don't get me wrong I love air BNB I've had great opportunities to stay places while on vacation but I have also had a couple of scary experiences I would not want any body to have to go through especially if they were a woman there allowing CO hosts who are not verified or attached to the account to be on their properties there's no safety for a guest that way

And they're allowing people to book roomsfor other people example I had a gentleman here over Christmas who was so drugged out he sat on my couch in my living room staring at the wall he mumbled he apologized he had a little too much to drink and later told me that he was on medication after further investigation I found out that his picture is on the account with his wife but his wife is the only one that has any information on the account air BNB needs to do their job please air BNB hosts and guests let's stand together and take care of this

It would not take much to secure the safety of a guest and to secure the safety of a host

I also had a guess stay here for 2 months We got to be friends she took me to dinner a couple of times even showed me a tattoo on her butt lol 🙂

Towards the end of her stay she asked about leaving early and would I refund her money because her and her ex husband are going to try and get back together 

I let her know that I have not been able to have the room up for rent so I would not be able to refund her money now let's take a look at what it actually cost her I was allowing her to have her own private room and basically a private bathroom it is shared but nobody ever used it I'm the only one that lives here .... She had stayed here already for over 2 months now and had paid   $450 a month Less than $15 A-day

I had another guest coming to my house about a week after she had talked to me about wanting to leave early and I had made arrangements to meet them and give him a key I had had a couple complaints from neighbors of people parking in front of their house so I definitely wanted to talk to this Guest

so that they understood where to park no confusion .....when I got home  He had already  Left

My current guest ....Decided without any permission of any kind to let the new guest in the house give them a key to my house.... I called the guest no answer so now I had to cancel my plans for the evening so that I could be there when the guest came back so the parking would not be a problem I was not happy with  My current guest for doing this I did not scream and yell but I was very Stern about it's not your house why wouldn't you ask me...  she kind of threw little fit 

now ook what happens

She leaves......I get a phone call from the police department she says I was verbal I abusive and she was scared lies lies lies

I get a call from air BNB reprimanding me and warning me about losing my ability to host without really investigating what had actually happened

Then I remembered she wanted to get out of the last couple weeks of her reservationow.... And causing me extreme stress on top of making false  Allegations to the police department ... Which after talking to me for about 3 minutes the officer said I really thought this was one of the weirdest stories I've heard how she could live in that house for over 2 months not have any problems and she  Told the police officer that I just started yowling and screaming at her for no reason which to clarify there was no yelling and screaming

So what does air BNB do they claim that she was uncomfortable so they give her a 50% refund

They got used by this girl and a cost me a couple $100 plus a huge amount of stress and the guess that was gonna stay also canceled because she called him...... Really air B and B you need to straighten up you've got a great platform but you're not representing the host or the guests properly

Freddy34
Level 2
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Same thing just happened to me. I feel like the refund shouldn't be the solution but im also concern that they have the option to post their review