Guest rating, bad reviews and free riders

Mathieu49
Level 2
Thailand

Guest rating, bad reviews and free riders

Hi, 

Not sure this is the right audience here, however I'd like to share my experience and suggestions. Do you notice too guests "quality" has become worse and worse? I have been hosting for some time in Thailand, super host but I have just been hit lately with some really consecutive bad guests ("free riders"). I never raised as much as deposit claims (pretty much one per booking) or have so much trouble as lately so it made me wonder what has happened to the people or Airbnb in general.

My last guest made me wonder. How can someone be so bad with his reviews. How can his experience be so bad while all others enjoyed very much. It reminded me someone who eat his meal in full at the restaurant but would complain about the food when receiving the bill. They seem to all follow the same pattern, speak very little english, first timers, consumings 3x more utilities and having somehow a lot of small complain or needs to fullfill and expecting hotel services like regular cleaning, bed sheets and towel changes or plenty of spares. I have used these information in my listing to discourage such people, let's see the results.

My suggestion is the review and the rating of the guest should be upgraded and shared between hosts. That guest in question had a lots of complain ranging from how to setup wifi on a TV to expecting, irrelevant crack on the floor or even asking me to help him to change his currency. He always tried to play the nice guy, at the end said his stay went ok but unleashed everything on his review and trust me that was awful. It almost damaged all my work in providing afforadble accomadation to many people and just make me wantto quit and put my places on long term rental as let's face it, as Airbnb is built there is no future for hosting without losing money at long term compared to normal rental. His reviews had some basis but all of it was so much exagerated to the point it was far from the truth or realistic.

I did write myself a good review to him as I had no reason to not to. He was being difficult but it might happen sometimes people struggle to settle down. However post reviews I would not recommand this guest to any other hosts as it confirmed he was not someone reasonable (at all). He is likely to behave the same and keeps abusing the system unless he realises he has to book an expensive hotel or a luxury listing that he will never do anyway.

Other very similar profile, they were being very arrogant and not impressed at first at check in, they changed completely their attitude at check out; I understood why; there kid messed up the whole bed linen and mistaken doors with coloring papers; none of these were even attempted to be cleaned up.

For those I had no reason to publicly not recommand them. Things happens and they should be allow to keep enjoying Airbnb listings. However post review, guests will always show their true colors, I would certainly not recommand a few or just would love to simply tag them as not nice or comprehensible people. As a host I would like to host nice and sympathic people in my home and not just making money from it.

On the other hand I had guests so nice and lovely, even a good review on their profile didn't make them stand out from the crowd. For some, for instance, they were behaving so much like their own home, even improving my place. When I received the electricity bill later I even wanted to offer them a discount on utilities they over paid. However that didnt make much sense economically due to "free riders".

Just wondering what you guys think and how can we raise this sort of improvements to Airbnb so hosts gets more tools to host people they like without failing in the discrimination and having to raise stupidly prices to keep renewing furniture or decoration to cater to the free riders. I think the simplest suggestion is to be able to receive a feedback from the hosts post reviews and be able to share it between hosts. Allowing a feedback on utilities spend also is useful. I would like also also to be able to know if it was a dispute during a resolution with this guest.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Yes absolutely agree with your comments. Same happened with me and frustrated to point of delisted. People forget to be appreciative so we should give attention to guest review then decline next time.

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

I posted something recently under 'Review Blackmail.'  I get guests exactly like this sometimes.  They are often the most work, then complain fiercely about something that was clearly marked in listing.  Sometimes they make up a bunch of extra stuff because they are upset I didn't provide the smallest extra thing.  Airbnb literally does nothing about it, even when I'm explicitly covering their back, like when I decline to do cheaper offsite bookings.

I have budget listings, cheapest listings in a hundred miles, I recently had each of the following:

Guest left bad review because I didn't provide extra towels for her two day stay.  She said my place was dirty, smelly, full of mold, and best part, she said I would RETALIATE against any guest who mentioned any critisism or review: I never even left her a review, let alone a bad one.  Guests are seeing the word 'Retaliate' and I haven't seen a private room booked since.  Another guest read the review after, thought it was funny, and went into my back room and took out ten towels for her one day stay and through them all over room.

I have early checkout at my bunk listings because there is no parking after 7am(they are $17/night).  I had a guest ask me to confirm that checkout was really at 7am.  When I did confirm, he one starred me for the parking(specifically mentions that my listings 'sucks' because of parking).  No point in being able to set a checkout time if it lowers rating when people demand soemthing different and don't get it.  How silly.

My personal favorite right now: had a guest book for a week, enjoy his stay, and request to book for another month off-site to get it cheaper and cut out Airbnb from profit.  I don't like cash bookings and would rather not cheat Airbnb, so I declined to give him any discount and encouraged him to use sight... listing marked down for being 'Too Expensive!'

Especially when there are messages from these guests confirming why they did what they did and other reviews from current guests showing the property is in great shape, clearly showing the reviews are retaliatory for not providing 'freebies,' I think it's horrible Airbnb just lets these slide...

Yep, one person said said that my carpet was not clean, guess what, I do not have carpet, it is wood floor, I could not understand why would she write such a lie. lol

Andreas236
Level 1
Limassol, Cyprus

I had the same experience. Everything was stated was absolutely false! Airbnb must find a way to delete these reviews.

Mrs--Donna0
Level 3
Baltimore, MD

They now have us just where they want us, so now they are slacking. Just like big businesses, can hardly get someone on the phone, it is getting bad. I agree

I think the simplest suggestion is to be able to receive a feedback from the hosts post reviews and be able to share it between hosts. Maybe if you can get to talk to a true decision makers, it can happen. Yes the other thing, is that you cannot find out what their review says until you write yours and post it. The system is set up mainly for the guest, **bleep** the host.

Jamie350
Level 2
Seoul, South Korea

Hosts should make a site that we gather lists of those bad guests to filter them using Airbnbs. I also recently had bad guests. This group booked for two weeks. After 3 days later she checked in, she wanted to check out 4 days earlier and asked the refund policy. Although I didn't have to give any refund, I favored her 30% refund for canceling 4 days. She seemed happy with it but suddenly from the next day she inspected every corner of the house and try to find the faults, some small molds under the wallpaper, dirt .on the high windows frame, dirty cup hidden in a cupboard by previous guests and asked to be moved out with full refund. I didn't want to argue with her any further so I asked her to find the place to move asap then we will give a full refund. She only checked out as her original request(4 days earlier check out) saying her kid and husband loves the location of the place. While her staying, she asked more toilet papers and cleaning products so we provide them the very next day. 

We did everything we could however she left me with two-star rating with long bad review saying the pictures are old one and misleading (the pictures were updated last month), tissue and laundry detergent were not provided (I have a proof pictures by our cleaning team before her check in), moldy walls (I inspected house thoroughly after her check out as if her message was true, we need to block the reservation and renovate the house, but I didn't see any serious mold issue) 

Our house rating was 4.97 before her rating. Now it degraded to 4.6. 

As you know no matter how many 5 star ratings you received, one time bad rating makes all the efforts meaningless. Airbnb rating system really sucks. They expect the hosts to give 5-star hotel service at the lowest price possible. How can we improve this review and rating system with Airbnb?

We have had three of the worst guest stays ever over the last month. Left our place an awful mess, sink full of dirty water, piles of trash, etc. I noted that they had very good reviews and am confused by this. How do others rate poor guest stays?

Either because hosts using a cleaning service and just leave standard positive reviews or some hosts can't be bothered to leave an honest review.

Please make sure you mark them down and leave an honest review @Claudia-and-David1