Guest request for refund

Gulf-Sun-Villas0
Level 2
Saint Pete Beach, FL

Guest request for refund

I have a guest that's staying in a 1 bd/1 bath unit for 6 nights.  They indicated that they only have 3 guests (2 adults and 1 child) when she booked, then sent me a message 2 days prior to arrival that they have a 9 month old and whether it's ok for the baby to stay there.  I told them that we do not provide infant ameneties (sleep cots, cot sheets, high chair, etc...) as I had listed the unit "Not suitable for kids under 2.  They said that it's ok, they will supply.  In the course of the communication, they said that they also have a 4 yr old.  I asked them to update the guest booking but they said that they couldn't on their end.

So after they arrived the first afternoon, they contacted me and said that the refrigerator setting was turned on "off or the lowest setting" and was not cold but the freezer is cold.  They had purchased some groceries and was able to use the freezer portion to keep some items cold.  In the meantime, I had called my maintenance guy and tried to troubleshoot the issue and contacted my cleaner who was there as late as 2pm to ask whether he noticed anything suspicious when he cleaned the unit.  Cleaner said that he thought that the unit was working properly when he cleaned it because it "sweat" while he was cleaning, indicating that it was cold but I was not going to argue with the guest on the coldness.

It was too late to get the maintenance guy over that evening so the guest used the freezer on lowest setting to keep items cold for the first evening.

The very next day, I did some research and bought a full sized fridge but appliance store wouldn't be able to deliver it until next week due to their delivery schedule and Memorial Day weekend.  In the meantime, I went ahead and bought a 4.3 cu. ft. hotel sized fridge (the largest off the shelf one that was available) and had it up in the unit for them to use by 1:30pm the very next day.

The guest contacted Airbnb and "mentioned that you have provided a mini fridge that is not going to fit for a family of 4."  I replied back and told Airbnb that the guest indicated in their booking that they are 2 adults and 1 child and not 4 guests.  I have made provisions to mitigate the broken fridge and have even bought a small one for them to use since the full size one won't be delivered until later.  They can also use the freezer portion to keep items cold.

Airbnb just sent me a message this evening saying "your guest has sent us sufficient document that will support her claim about the fridge. Basically since the small fridge was not the one that is supposed to be part of the amenity, guest could be refunded 20-25% of accommodation fee.  Your guest is planning to ask for refund, can you confirm to me the refund you could consider ?"

What if any refund should I provide?  I think I have done everything possible to accommodate the situation.  The fridge is not full size but it's a standard size that one would find in standard hotel rooms.  

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gulf-Sun-Villas0   I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0 's approach- they didn't list or pay for the correct number of guests. so in fact, they owe you $.  I'd say something to that effect to them,-okay, I was going to put in the extra guest charge, but instead, we can just call it even on the fridge issue.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Gulf-Sun-Villas0  I may be exaggerating but let's hope they don't have any kind of accident with the 9month old whilst staying in your place. They'll be suing you for not having the correct facilities, yet agreeing for them to bring the toddler.