Guest requesting money after host cancellation

Hailey17
Level 1
Medicine Hat, Canada

Guest requesting money after host cancellation

I am a host and We had a tragic death in the family which forced us to unfortunately have to cancel a 2 night reservation 10 days in advanced, also our first one we’ve ever had to cancel. Things happen that are beyond our control sometimes and we appreciate having our house for family to get together during this hard times since this is our primary home. The guest has requested we pay the extra he has to pay finding a new place ect, which whatever we’d be happy to pay but he keeps trying to give me his phone number and email address through the app but it’s block, which I wouldn’t feel comfortable giving him my mobile information anyways. I offered him a discount for his next stay. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what to do about this ? 

6 Replies 6
Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

You were under Extenuating circumstances and you should contact Airbnb to cancel on behalf of you. Never cancel any reservation under any circumstances whatsoever. Perhaps you should contact Airbnb now, the fastest response is their Twitter account AirbnbHelp. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Hailey17 I am very sorry for your loss.

Refer the guest to Airbnb support and leave it at that. Airbnb will help the guest to find alternative accomodation. The guest should have already received a full refund, which is what they're entitled to in this situation. I would not offer them any additional financial compensation. I also wouldn't contact the guest outside of Airbnb: keep everything within the messaging system so there's a proper record. Trying to contact you outside of the site seems sketchy: the rules against it are there for a reason.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

B7F96B01-AA32-4E73-B645-B3C4860FE775.jpeg

@Hailey17 call Airbnb

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Hailey17 nope, nope, nope. You can go into the message thread and flag/report/block this guest. Do it immediately. Condolences for your loss, this guest is unreasonable, do not entertain their nonsense any longer.

*Absolutely do not let this guest reserve with you at some time in the future (revenge review)

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Just say no, or say nothing, you can block them contacting you on the ABB system.

Hopefully you contacted ABB and got them to cancel as an extenuating circumstance.

David
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I love that!

"You have to pay me more, because you have the nicest and most inexpensive place around"

Shame on you

🙂