Guest requesting refund

Guest requesting refund

A guest requested a refund 3 weeks ago, I declined the request 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing since.  Can I assume that this has now gone away or could Airbnb still contact me about it.  How long after the request has been declined is it still live?

11 Replies 11
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Denise1174  Usually, refunds in favor of guests are resolved in a faster time, so I hope you can relax.

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

@Denise1174   I declined a refund request, had Customer Service find in my favor when the guest escalated it, and then 3 months later, without even contacting me, Customer Service reversed that decision and removed the funds from my subsequent payouts.   

I think it depends on how many times the guest contacts Customer Service and when/if they reach the arbitrary customer service representative who will side with them.

I don't seem to be able to find out if there is a limit?  When I decline, do you know how long the guest has to escalate it?

Brenda328

Thank you.   Now, that's what I'm worried about.  They are asking for 60% of what they paid, which is ridiculous.
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elena87  Okay, 60 day limit to "ask" for a refund. But the refund being paid seems to happen sometimes months after the request and a host suddenly finds they are being docked for the refund out of future payments.

@Denise1174  I wouldn't assume anything. And since Airbnb's customer service has dropped off a cliff, they are taking months to deal with things that in the past would have taken a matter of days or a week.

Mary4275
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

I just had the resolution center over ride my cancellation policy and Air bnb’s own policy and give a refund 6 weeks after I said no. Now I am trying to escalate it and no one will respond to me. 

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

@Denise1174  How did this work out, can you tell us?

Airbnb saw through their ridiculous claim and awarded them nothing.  They stayed with us last summer.

That was lucky!  Did they actually push the cancel button then, so they couldn't leave a review?

No.  They left the review before asking for the refund (the majority of which are lies).  This is what they said (sorry it is in French).  Below it is our reply. 

Nous avons rencontré de nombreux problèmes que nous avons soumis à Julie (concierge), qui en a solutionné quelques-uns et qui pour le reste nous a proposé un dédommagement financier à l'amiable moyennant une "évaluation 5 étoiles" selon ses termes. Voici la liste des dysfonctionnements : wifi aléatoire car simple répétiteur de la box des voisins, chaudière à réinitialiser en permanence et dont la dernière révision date de janvier 2014, climatisation annoncée mais de fait uniquement au rez-de-chaussée alors que les chambres à l'étage sont des fours et impossible de dormir fenêtres ouvertes à cause du bruit de la nationale à moins de 10 mètres, fuite d'eau au pied de la machine à laver le linge, vaisselle sale dans les placards, mites alimentaires et produits périmés, accès au local à vélo très difficile par les petites marches de la piscine, portillon de la piscine défectueux et non-sécurisé. Le jardin n'était pas entretenu et le jardinier est venu sans prévenir la veille de notre départ empêchant l'accès à la terrasse à l'heure du déjeuner, manifestement pour le bien être des locataires suivants. Ce logement est loué, en l'état, à un prix scandaleusement élevé.

Accuracy feedback:
Proximité de la nationale, wifi défaillante, climatisation seulement au rez de chaussée alors qu'annoncé pour le logement entier.

Cleanliness feedback:
Vaisselle sale, placards collants, local à machine à laver très sale, mites alimentaires.

Communication feedback:
Tentative de nous soudoyer moyennant une notation "5 étoiles" selon les termes de la concierge. Réponses lentes, tentatives d'amélioration de quelques-uns des problème soumis puis plus aucune nouvelle.

Location feedback:
Tout près de la nationale, chambres très bruyantes.

Value feedback:
Ce qui est cité ci-dessus et plus d'honnêteté dans l'annonce.

OUR REPLY
Please read our other reviews, our previous guest Romain left the house 6 hours before these guests arrived. Could it have deteriorated to this extent in 6 hours? Unfortunately, we were not able to cater for the needs of these guests. They were expecting luxury hotel accommodation with air con in every room. It is a shame they did not appreciate the charm of our beautiful, converted stables. Instead they actively searched for faults within the accommodation instead of recognising the array of facilities and amenities appreciated by our other guests this summer. During their stay they needlessly reset the wifi leading to a problem that took us 5 hours to sort out. The garden and pool maintenance must be done, and we try to be as quick and unobtrusive as possible. They asked for an outrageous amount of compensation of 1000€ or 60% of our pay-out. It is also worth mentioning that they were at the house during the heatwave and had all the doors and windows open during the day letting in the full afternoon heat instead of using the aircon!! No wonder it was too hot in the house!!