Guest review posted even though I did not write a review of the guest

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Guest review posted even though I did not write a review of the guest

In the Airbnb help file on reviews it says "You have 14 days after checkout to write a review for a trip. Reviews will be posted once both the host and guest complete a review.."

A guest had written a review of their stay. 

I did not write a review of the guest.

I get an email from Airbnb saying "Now that the review period is over, we’ve posted [the guest's] review to your Airbnb profile.
While it’s too late to write a review of your own, you can send your feedback to [the guest] using your Airbnb message thread."

I thought neither one of us would end up with a review since it says "Reviews will be posted once both the host and guest complete a review."

Was I understanding how reviews work incorrectly or has the policy changed?

2 Replies 2
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Susie0. Oh my. What a basic bit of information that every single host must know! All submitted reviews are published after 14 days; earlier if both parties submit a review. This is not new. This has always been the policy, and the policy verbage has confused many hosts before you.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Susie0It's always been like this. Otherwise you could avoid reviews from guests you think are going to give you  a bad review. What it means is that after 14 days the reviews get published regardless of who has completed one. If you both do one they get published on creation of the second parties review.