Guest reviews: they are asked to list what amenities you offered. What is the point???

Guest reviews: they are asked to list what amenities you offered. What is the point???

I have had less and less reviews from the guests this summer. I was a bit puzzled, but as I travelled as an Airbnb guest myself, I understood why. In the review I was asked if there was a washing machine, a coffee maker, hair dryer.... I got mad at having to click through all these things, and I am an active host and thus more motivated than most!!!

If Airbnb wants to check whether the host really provided these things, they could send in the gendarmerie! A guest feels annoyed at having to verify that a dozen different services were provided. "What am I, a surveyor?" was my thought. I almost stopped filling the review to the end, but then did it because the host was sweet and I wanted to give her good points.

Basically, if some item was promised, not provided and important to the guest, it comes up in the review. No need to make the guest go through a checklist.

Is there a way we hosts could influence this questionnaire? It is unfair to exept the guest to fill in lengthy questionnaires about the availability of shampoo or tea. That is the job of Airbnb. If Airbnb makes it so cumbersome to make a simple review, they should not be surprised that less reviews get written.

59 Replies 59

@Karina-Каринa0

Karina, I find Asians are my best review givers, it is middle/late age Caucasian guests who are choosing to remain silent in the review process!

And it was not that way 2 years ago, as others have said, everyone left a review.....I never gave it a thought, the reviews just kept coming and all was good in Gods world!

Karina, I am a 'hands on' host! I live on the property in the main residence and I do get the chance to speak with guests. I am really afraid for the future because every experienced guest I talk to complains about the review system. The comments are along the lines of...."I know, I booked here I knew what it was and I loved my stay, but the listing does not have a swimming pool, there are corners that need painting, an induction hotplate might have been a nice touch...I can't in all honesty say it was a 5 star experience! But I loved the cheese plate, I loved the electric bed, the filtered air system was wonderful for my pollen alergy, first time in years my nose hasn't run at this time of year! So I don't want criticise you...... so maybe it's best if I don't say anything at all"!!

So, I don't know that short attention spans are really the answer, I think the guest just wants to keep the ship upright on the Airbnb ocean as they see it!

Cheers.....Rob

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4

I don’t want you take this the wrong way....but some delusion is creeping in.

The guest either thinks it’s 5 star or less.

If there is flaking paint dotted about the place, and there is no induction hot plate and so on and so forth, the guest perhaps may think it does not fulfil all their dreams and expectations garnered from the description of the accommodation before the booking process.

Its got tidily squat to do with the guest not wanting to rock the boat of the good ship Air bnb......simply put they cannot be bothered, they’ve paid you...end of.

Your listing is a commodity, the cheapest around and it suited their requirements at the time of booking.....let’s not delude ourselves now, that the majority of guests not leaving reviews do so, because they don’t want to upset us hosts......the simple fact is they can’t be arsed to make the effort.

Hi @Karina-Каринa0

I agree with you about less reviews, my shy guests this season have been mostly the Americans and one Belgian couple!....they must be wanting to keep a low profile for some reason or other!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

There is no point, because processes already existed for guests to complain about hosts who misrepresented their listing, they could mention it in reviews, or in the worst case, they could request to be relocated and report the host.

Asking guests to answer all of those questions is just foolish and lazy on the part of airbnb.  It also seems clear it was created when they were going to mandate a list of amenities and then changed that policy but let the new review in place.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark116

It’s not foolish or lazy on the part of air bnb...it’s the guests who do not write reviews and it’s the hosts who do not write honest reviews about their guests.

Air bnb is checking out whether the hosts ARE providing the amenities they say are being provided by the host...

There is a large element of trust in being an air bnb host.....and there is also a large element of trust in being a guest in a total strangers home!

The review process is important to both guest and host, but sadly a lot of folk can’t be bothered on both sides of the community.

James1147
Level 2
Bendigo, Australia

Hi guys, I'm a co-host and managing the listing for a friend as I've previously been a Superhost with a property I've since sold. In my previous listing I maintained 5-star status and kept my SH status till I sold the property and unlisted. I am therefore now devastated for my friend that a guest has just dropped our (up till now) 5-star status down to 4, when they didn't even stay here - they booked it for some work colleagues. She actually messaged me before booking and said she had a budget to work within and that if I was to send her a special offer within her budget, then she would book. I accepted her terms and sent the special offer so she definitely got 'Value for Money'. I also turned myself inside-out to make sure their stay was perfect, meeting them at the property (not normally needed as it's self-checkin), leaving treats, messaging them throughout the stay to ensure they had everything they needed, responding to any requests super promptly, etc etc. I now can't believe that she gave only 4 stars for "Value for money" when she got it for way less than normal at her request, gave less stars for 'Check In' - she wasn't here and as previously stated, I couldn't have done any more to make things smoother for them. It just doesn't seem fair that this now affects our overall rating. Shouldn't there be some recourse with Airbnb and don't they realise that with some people you just can't please them and they see the review process as a means to get their jollies off by upsetting hosts that have tried to go the extra mile. Sorry, rant over. 

What does Level 2 vs Level 10 mean?

@Susan-and-Michael0  It just means some of us like to talk more than others lol. You go up in levels with posts and replies to posts. 

Susan-and-Michael0
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

Now I understand why I have been getting shorter, seemingly more terse host reviews - the new review questions are too time-consuming and irritating when you’re traveling. I have felt overburdened by the endless questionnaire as an AIRBNB guest. I have also been aggressively instructed to give 5 * reviews to hosts, which I would never do as a host. 

Hi @Susan0 & Micheal

Your post is interesting.

Just curious.....Where have you aggressively been instructed to give 5* reviews for hosts ?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There are so many problems with this.

I agree that it's unlikely to be a coincidence that so many hosts have reported a decline in their review rate since these changes were brought into place. I have also noticed mine has dropped and I can't think of any other obvious reason for it.

Many people do have short attention spans these days, they are busy, have better things to do (especially if they are still travelling). So many guests can't be bothered to read listings/house rules/messages, even when it is for their own benefit, so what makes Airbnb think they will take the time to fill in lots of questions after their stay, when their minds have already moved on?

How many times have you seen one of those boxes pop up on your screen asking for feedback, when all you wanted to do was make a purchase/enquiry? How many times do you think, "Yes, I'll fill it in. It can't take more than a few minutes," versus "I really don't have time for this right now. I have more important things to do."?

Also, this whole ticking the amenities thing concerns me. Although on the surface it seems logical enough, I am not sure how many guests notice/remember accurately everything that was/wasn't available. They are going to make mistakes and may say things weren't there when they actually were, even if you mentioned these things to them.

In my experience, many guests don't read/take in really important things on the listing. How can you expect these guests to correctly remember the facilities that were offered without them having to go back and check the listing, which they're not going to do? Then, many guests don't pay that much attention during a welcome tour. They may be tired. They may be thinking, I don't need this or that, so I'm not interested.

My guest who checked in last night arrived late evening after a long day at work and needed to get up again at 6am. She didn't want to see anything other than her bedroom and where to shower, not even tea/coffee facilities. Is she going to remember if I had salt and pepper or not? I doubt it. Is she the kind of person who believes she has time to fill out loads of questions in a review. Unlikely.

Airbnb need to make it quick and easy for guests. When people are travelling, whether for business or leisure, their minds are elsewhere. Unless they are particularly picky guests, they are not going to notice every little detail. If they are critical/demanding/entitled, they are more likely to expect things that weren't advertised, find fault and make inaccurate statements in reviews.

Recently I had guests that complained we were out of coffee and sugar when they themselves had moved those things to a different cupboard. They expected breakfast, even though it's not included in the listing. The coffee maker wasn't to their liking. They expected a waste disposal unit in the sink. They took my personal toiletries from a cupboard even though I had provided them with those things already. Airbnb, don't encourage these people!!

Airbnb deciding to measure Superhosts on their review rate is ridiculous in the first place, as it's something clearly beyond our control. Making the review process more complicated for guests means achieving that review rate is even more stressful.

Sorry for the long rant, but the review process was already seriously flawed and now it hasn't gotten a whole lot worse.

Huma, what an analytic article, enjoyed reading it 🙂 My thoughts exactly.

There is one additional problem: if leavind a review is cumbersome by current social media -addicted standards, then those who do leave a review may be the ones with a grudge!

That way, reviews would not show the true level of a listing, but be tilted towards those guests who wrote long rants about this or that not being the way they expected.

If you think you have a review with a grudge you as the host, can always reply back with a justified  response.

Emma, yes.. but it does not change the review stars..

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Karina-Каринa0 Apparently guests are now serving as unwitting 'spies' for Airbnb. I guess this new and very cumbersome 10 page review system was more cost effective than hiring several hundred thousand private detectives to go out to our listings, pretending to be guests, so as to report back to Airbnb if we are lying about our listings or not.

Yes, indeed. We are a 'community based on trust', all right.