Guest's profile picture is no longer visible + Instant book cancellation

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guest's profile picture is no longer visible + Instant book cancellation

I found out that guest's profile picture is no longer visible until you have a confirmed reservation (yes, even if you go to their profile). I understand that Airbnb wants to promote the anti-discrimination policy. However, they need to realize that we are not hotels. We share our house and open our house for our guests and our safety is important. I want to make sure that the person who makes the reservation is actually the one who is showing up on check-in day, etc. Also, host's profile picture IS visible to future guests at all times! I just made a reservation for my next trip and I was able to see my host's profile picture even before I made any reservation request/book the place/have a confirmed reservation.

I am also taking off instant booking feature from my listings as it does not really seem to matter other than giving problem because people do not read the listing in full, have a bad review yet still able to book, etc and when I want to cancel *unlimited* penalty-free as they say... it is not true, I can only do it for 3 times and after that I need to contact the customer service. Then they said "we will do a one-time corteousy to waive the penalty for this cancellation." No, it is not a one-time corteousy. This is how it supposed to be. Why do I need *permission* to cancel a guest who has negative review from his previous host? Why do I need to be pressured to open my house to anybody without thinking about my own safety?

I have been with Airbnb for 4+ years and it seems like they might share a different value now than what they used to have.

176 Replies 176

Same here girl groups that vist South Beach get totally wasted make a mess make up on everything false eyelashes everywhere price tags everywhere it just ridiculous! The worst is they show up and expect a hotel they dont read the listing details or houserules. Families that think their kids are adorable when they run around all night scream and leave handprints everywhere. I feel overall the quality of guest has rapidly gone down. People expect too much for 170 a night a hotel room this size would cost around 900 a night. 

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

@Kat17  Just count your lucky stars there were only Two of 'em....

https://youtu.be/9SOryJvTAGs

@Mark26  Hahaha! Yes! For sure. 

Hey, @Mark26

Thanks for that!

Just had to have a dance round the living room to "Love Shack" Remember it first time round ( 80s wasn't it? ) What fun! It's made my day !

Beverley68
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

If you share a bathroom you can specify gender 

If Airbnb has all the funds to fight Hotels against industry practices, can they do the same and fight these so called forces that's pushing this "no profile agenda"? Point is, it seems Airbnb is doing whatever it wants for its own benefits without regards to its community. 

I also don't agree with not seeing the picture of my guests before hand.

As a result I rejected 7 booking in one week already and I'm accepting far less than before as now I'm unflexible on the minimum 3 recommendations & and 3 positive reviews. In the past, I would sometime think it's ok to take the risk, not anymore.

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

I had this happen to me. I called airbnb they acted like it was a fluke. They contacted the guest and asked her if they could Send me her photo. She said yes and they aren't it to me via email. I informed them that I would never use instant book and woukd not rent to a "blue head" 

My requests are down and they seem to be mostly first timers where they ask a million questions then don't answer my questions. 

So many have false profiles it is disturbing

What is a "blue head?"

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

@Farah1, I'm curious about what information you believe you would get from the guest's picture which would be important to have before confirming the reservation ... am I missing something? I understand hosts still have access to information about guests reviews and ID confirmation.  Hosts still get access to the guest's picture once the booking is confirmed, so hosts still have the ability to check that the person showing up at the door.

Just the position they are standing in tells alot how they are dressed facial expression so much goes into how people represent themselves. I had a guest whos profile pic featured her behind in a revealing dress of course they came to hit the clubs were loud rude and obnoxious coming in at 5 am  i have had lots of guests with false information their identification should match where they live its becoming unnerving lately

I don't know about Farah, but to me oftentimes a picture says a thousand words. In the beginning, I took chances on the following, but would not today. 

The one of a good looking party girl with a drink in her hand from Las Vegas, let to two 'parents' arriving drunk as a skunk who collapsed on the bed upon arrival and their two young kids we had to entertain till their parents sober up hours later. The one of a sour-looking old lady turned out to be the one guest out of 300 who I wanted to strangle to this day; she was a genuine human ogre. The one of a young guy with his buddies in the background, let to two initially booking but slowly 4 more were added over time; during their stay one of my $1k canoes which they used and left untied, is now somewhere in Honduras (the next country south of us); plus the wicker furnishing ended up in the water during one of their parties.  The one of a 'cougar' which in reality was of a woman with medal all over her face turned out to be very aggresive and demanding, who arrived with equally-rough 5 others and were a battle from start to finish, constantly warning me that she would leave a bad review if didn't get her way, which I dared her to; she didn't leave one. The wild looking musician turned out to be a two-bit hustler trying not to pay for extra 'band' members. I got more, but trust the above examples would suffice to make the point.

Conversely, smilng pleasant looking people, regardless of color, persuation, physical attributes or planet membership in conjunction with an accompanying pleasant text exchange have turned out to be great guests. Those whose pictures are taken outdoors are my favorites because they are already 'there'. while those who just looked like walked out of Tiffany's (the air conditioning resort types) I am more cautious with. I rent a natural island in the Carribean.

I have never, ever called Airbnb about anything, I solve my own issues which are now to a non-existent point by being - 'selective'.

@Fred13 You had me at “I rent my own natural island”! Of course,  I had to look up your listing. Blown away! It sounds fantastic. I have already saved it to my wish list.

I understand you don’t usually involve Airbnb if there’s a problem, But I was that they gave us more protection as hosts.Can you share more about how to sniff out problem guests and avoid the problems??? I’d love to hear.

Being in business all my life, I think that Airbnb has better things to do than listen to my problems, and so do I. Via the description, which I am always tweaking, I try my best to screen guests ~before~ they even apply. A good guest or empty slot beats a nightmare anyday. Once guests arrive, I lead them, not the other way around. Anything, I mean any feature, that can cause a 'problem', I remove, for nothing 'has to be'. Any ridiculous expectation, I tackle head on as it comes up. The sweethearts I treat as loving angels, the toughies I addressed firmly, but always with a sense of humor. Don't be a 'Chibangee' (aka a painful guest) is ruled #1 in Bird Island, the guest love the entertainment, always wondering what is indeed a 'Chibangee'. LoL

Above all, staying in Bird Island is not a right, buit a priviledge, as is all our places.

I totally agree, Airbnb could stand to back its good hosts (like many here) strongly, since the general public can be abusive. Their main problem lies with the wide spectrum in competence of their case managers; all must be quick minded, understand what good business is and always be diplomatic; no silly, insecure fools allowed, not in that position. All hosts should approach Airbnb with cordiality and salesmanship, they are a business after all.  I have a good relationship with Airbnb, since in all media Bird Island receives,  which is monthly, is always associated with Airbnb. They been great.

Say Kat, be on the lookout for a whole new set of photos going up within a week, showing the new over-the-water cabana, which is a new surprise I have in store for coming guests.