Guest's profile picture is no longer visible + Instant book cancellation

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guest's profile picture is no longer visible + Instant book cancellation

I found out that guest's profile picture is no longer visible until you have a confirmed reservation (yes, even if you go to their profile). I understand that Airbnb wants to promote the anti-discrimination policy. However, they need to realize that we are not hotels. We share our house and open our house for our guests and our safety is important. I want to make sure that the person who makes the reservation is actually the one who is showing up on check-in day, etc. Also, host's profile picture IS visible to future guests at all times! I just made a reservation for my next trip and I was able to see my host's profile picture even before I made any reservation request/book the place/have a confirmed reservation.

I am also taking off instant booking feature from my listings as it does not really seem to matter other than giving problem because people do not read the listing in full, have a bad review yet still able to book, etc and when I want to cancel *unlimited* penalty-free as they say... it is not true, I can only do it for 3 times and after that I need to contact the customer service. Then they said "we will do a one-time corteousy to waive the penalty for this cancellation." No, it is not a one-time corteousy. This is how it supposed to be. Why do I need *permission* to cancel a guest who has negative review from his previous host? Why do I need to be pressured to open my house to anybody without thinking about my own safety?

I have been with Airbnb for 4+ years and it seems like they might share a different value now than what they used to have.

176 Replies 176

as a superhost in NYC for six years now, i am also finding this new policy a poor decision by Abnb for so many reasons.  the relationship between Abnb, hosts and guests should be a mutually rewarding opportunity, beneficial for everyone. one of the reasons our relationship with Abnb has been so wonderfully rewarding all these years is BECAUSE we felt their site and system allowed us full disclosure as to who was inquiring about staying in our home.  since these changes occurred, they are forcing hosts to now be intrusive and pry by asking the 'right' questions.  surely, this is going to cause unforeseen problems, but i'm guessing if the site continues in this direction, they can say good-bye to long time users who aren't pleased with the changes.

in answer to your specific concern, based on experience, i don't accept requests wherein i don't share good, open communication.   i'm not saying that this will always be a decision you will regret, as there's as good a chance that you are just not communicating on the same level of understanding. however, it is your home that you are opening to others, and you should feel a connection to inquirers before welcoming them.  i would never agree to third party bookings, unless you had all sorts of full disclosure about both the inquirer and the intended guest. as for your other concern - i have no opinion on male v female guests.

DO NOT ACCEPT BOOKINGS ON BEHALF OF OTHER PEOPLE.

Tell them they will have to cancel and their friend must complete their own profile to verify their identity.

Do not allow this sloppy AirBnB practice. We should all be checking government issued photo ID at the door as well.

Language: In a pinch you can communicate with short and simple sentences with google translate.

Men vs. Women: haven't noticed a big difference in cleanliness or following the rules. More hair everywhere and longer in the bathroom for girls. I've noticed that men make more complaints/requests and hang around the shared spaces more.

No second hand bookings for me. Never. You are left holding the bag in so many ways if something goes wonky.

@Kat17 @Jessica-and-Henry0 

when we start hosting I expected that male guests will be more "problematic" then women, that young guests will be worse than older guests and families...

But it turns out I was totally wrong. Families with kids were a disaster and young male groups were all great. 

But we are off site hosts... it is not the same when you host someone in your home.

Same here girl groups that vist South Beach get totally wasted make a mess make up on everything false eyelashes everywhere price tags everywhere it just ridiculous! The worst is they show up and expect a hotel they dont read the listing details or houserules. Families that think their kids are adorable when they run around all night scream and leave handprints everywhere. I feel overall the quality of guest has rapidly gone down. People expect too much for 170 a night a hotel room this size would cost around 900 a night. 

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

@Kat17  Just count your lucky stars there were only Two of 'em....

https://youtu.be/9SOryJvTAGs

@Mark26  Hahaha! Yes! For sure. 

Hey, @Mark26

Thanks for that!

Just had to have a dance round the living room to "Love Shack" Remember it first time round ( 80s wasn't it? ) What fun! It's made my day !

Beverley68
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

If you share a bathroom you can specify gender 

If Airbnb has all the funds to fight Hotels against industry practices, can they do the same and fight these so called forces that's pushing this "no profile agenda"? Point is, it seems Airbnb is doing whatever it wants for its own benefits without regards to its community. 

I also don't agree with not seeing the picture of my guests before hand.

As a result I rejected 7 booking in one week already and I'm accepting far less than before as now I'm unflexible on the minimum 3 recommendations & and 3 positive reviews. In the past, I would sometime think it's ok to take the risk, not anymore.

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

I had this happen to me. I called airbnb they acted like it was a fluke. They contacted the guest and asked her if they could Send me her photo. She said yes and they aren't it to me via email. I informed them that I would never use instant book and woukd not rent to a "blue head" 

My requests are down and they seem to be mostly first timers where they ask a million questions then don't answer my questions. 

So many have false profiles it is disturbing

What is a "blue head?"

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

@Farah1, I'm curious about what information you believe you would get from the guest's picture which would be important to have before confirming the reservation ... am I missing something? I understand hosts still have access to information about guests reviews and ID confirmation.  Hosts still get access to the guest's picture once the booking is confirmed, so hosts still have the ability to check that the person showing up at the door.