Guest's profile picture is no longer visible + Instant book cancellation

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guest's profile picture is no longer visible + Instant book cancellation

I found out that guest's profile picture is no longer visible until you have a confirmed reservation (yes, even if you go to their profile). I understand that Airbnb wants to promote the anti-discrimination policy. However, they need to realize that we are not hotels. We share our house and open our house for our guests and our safety is important. I want to make sure that the person who makes the reservation is actually the one who is showing up on check-in day, etc. Also, host's profile picture IS visible to future guests at all times! I just made a reservation for my next trip and I was able to see my host's profile picture even before I made any reservation request/book the place/have a confirmed reservation.

I am also taking off instant booking feature from my listings as it does not really seem to matter other than giving problem because people do not read the listing in full, have a bad review yet still able to book, etc and when I want to cancel *unlimited* penalty-free as they say... it is not true, I can only do it for 3 times and after that I need to contact the customer service. Then they said "we will do a one-time corteousy to waive the penalty for this cancellation." No, it is not a one-time corteousy. This is how it supposed to be. Why do I need *permission* to cancel a guest who has negative review from his previous host? Why do I need to be pressured to open my house to anybody without thinking about my own safety?

I have been with Airbnb for 4+ years and it seems like they might share a different value now than what they used to have.

176 Replies 176
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Understand that Airbnb is being 'pushed' by forces that want to achieve certain social goals and in the process it does put them into some absurd positions or changes. I am sure Airbnb wishes it wasn't caught in the middle of this whole conflicting quagmire. In time, as a host you will be talking to a mere 'Number', not even a name, so as not to give the host any opportunity to 'discriminate' and then Airbnb would be devoid of any discriminatory liability. It is indeed confusing times.

@Fred13 @Farah1. Not liking THAT at all. While I’d be the first against racial or religious discrimination, as a host I DO want to have a say as to who gets to share my private home. Last weekend I had two young people who I’m not even sure were legal use my house as a love shack for 3 Days. Never again. I also had a man stay here for a week on business —my only 3-Star review. He got the same hospitality every other guest has received, but apparently was expecting something more. So he sulked and left a lukewarm review. Made me realize that I don’t want to rent to men traveling alone or allow stays of more than a few days (personal preference). Is Airbnb going to force me to do otherwise? 

@Kat17

I'm hosting my first male guest and have decided to stick to female guests from now on. While I totally understand there are individual differences not related to sex, there are some clear differences between men and women that I have noticed personally and I believe it's my right as a homeowner and host to have a say in who sleeps in my home. Simple as that. Guests get to choose where and with whom they want to stay based on host profiles and listing descriptions. As a host I want the same options as any guest would have. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Your last line says it all! Couldn’t agree more. 

@Farah1, as to Airbnb trying to prevent discrimination, why Would anyone want to stay with a host who would discriminate against them if they have a chance? I would imagine only an unpleasant experience awaits if you have a host that doesn’t like “your kind”. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 @Farah1 I am a new host in own live-in apartment, and have had a multi-month request from a 'no photo', no reviews, no surname guest, who is a male and is asking to book on behalf of his male partner, both of whom aren't English and live abroad. As I am inexperienced in this, I am very interested to know what advice you'd give me on this booking and which problems you've encountered from male guests that I should be concerned about. I have specified strictly no-smoking, no guests, no parties, and one other food specification I have, in my ad. When I asked the booker to ask his boyfriend to make his own booking, he ignored this question, and just answered my question about the occupancy, saying it's only for the boyfriend (I think he doesn't speak English). This worries me as a) how will he communicate with me b) the cultural difference between him and a woman sharing the flat c) reluctance to answer questions and give any details. Is the issue with men the mess they leave, bathroom use etc or more behavioural, please? thanks

Hi J

I would not be comfortable committing to sharing a flat with someone for a single night if they refused to give their name. I would certainly not commit to weeks or months with someone you've never met. You can decline anyone whose booking makes you feel uneasy. If someone else is doing the booking your guest will not have provided i.d.

Err on the side of caution, especially if you are living alone. There are plenty of verified guests out there with reviews you can check. 

Since instabook I no longer get requests from guests with reviews, pictue, profile, or verified ID. I am now caling airbnb each time asking for info and complaining. They keep acting lik e the no picture us a because of a glitch or the person not supplying photo. Airbnb has 0 respect for hosts. 

that is so interesting.  i thought it was just me who started noticing that all of these new requests are from new users without any reviews either.  each time i've called Abnb, they've acted like they had no idea of any policy change.  one even told me to delete the app and reinstall it.
it would have been nice if Abnb sent a notice to all hosts explaining the policy change.

we're just cannon fodder...

@J72

You should contact Airbnb and tell them this is a 3rd party booking but the guest is ignoring you and not cancelling. Airbnb does not allow 3rd party bookings so you can get this cancelled with no penalty.

I do understand that these observations may be individual characteristics (not related to the sex of the person) but still..... I can't help but think being a male does have *some* effect.

- Leaves lights on all the time - even during the day with the sunlight flooding in, he keeps turning on all the lights every where in the house and never turns them off.

- Dishes are never washed or rinsed properly. Food bits are left stuck on plates or you can smell/feel dishwashing liquid still on the cup.

- Leaves used cups on the kitchen counter or table - not in the sink.

- Does teeny tiny loads of laundry every 3~4 days (we have a 16kg top load washer), and leaves all this clothes and underwear on the drying rack until it's time to hang his next load. (technically, I allow up to 2 loads per week...... and he acts like if he doesn't use up his 2 load quota, he's loosing out or something)

- Uses our good fluffy GUEST towels as extra bath mats.

- Always leaves the curtains caught in the window (does not bother to check and make sure curtain is NOT caught in the window when closing the window)

- Took our good fluffy guest towel with him when he went on a weekend trip with friends (without asking first) and brought it back all smelly and ragged.

- Talks about wanting to "share" food or a meal with us (hosts) but never contributes to the meal in any way. (It happened 2~3 times and Henry & I have decided to keep our distance after the first month.) What he actually means is, he will sit at the table like a dinner guest and expects to be waited on and served a home cooked meal or will wait for Henry or I to pay for and dish out whatever delivery we get. He doesn't even offer to help set or clear the table, not to mention paying for his share. After he's done eating he will say "thanks for dinner" get up and just go to his room, leaving Henry (or both of us) to clear the table and do the dishes.

- SNOOPS. Henry says he can hear the guest opening and looking thru our cupboard and pantry. (Henry is super sensitive.) Most of our guests are long term and we always say to the guest during the check-in tour (and after), if you need something, anything, please ASK instead of going thru our drawers and cupboards trying to find it on your own. Stuff we thought you might need are here (in a specific drawer) and here (shelf), but if you don't see it here, please ask us and we will find it and provide it.

In general, it feels like the guest just lacks common sense, decency and manners. He's not really violating or outright breaking any house rules, but is the type of person that makes you think, "Do I really need to add a house rule about (1) not turning on or leaving lights on during the DAY? (2) properly rinsing off liquid soap from the dishes and cups? (3) making sure the curtain is not left caught in the window? (4) about common decency?!?!?!?!?!

as a superhost in NYC for six years now, i am also finding this new policy a poor decision by Abnb for so many reasons.  the relationship between Abnb, hosts and guests should be a mutually rewarding opportunity, beneficial for everyone. one of the reasons our relationship with Abnb has been so wonderfully rewarding all these years is BECAUSE we felt their site and system allowed us full disclosure as to who was inquiring about staying in our home.  since these changes occurred, they are forcing hosts to now be intrusive and pry by asking the 'right' questions.  surely, this is going to cause unforeseen problems, but i'm guessing if the site continues in this direction, they can say good-bye to long time users who aren't pleased with the changes.

in answer to your specific concern, based on experience, i don't accept requests wherein i don't share good, open communication.   i'm not saying that this will always be a decision you will regret, as there's as good a chance that you are just not communicating on the same level of understanding. however, it is your home that you are opening to others, and you should feel a connection to inquirers before welcoming them.  i would never agree to third party bookings, unless you had all sorts of full disclosure about both the inquirer and the intended guest. as for your other concern - i have no opinion on male v female guests.

DO NOT ACCEPT BOOKINGS ON BEHALF OF OTHER PEOPLE.

Tell them they will have to cancel and their friend must complete their own profile to verify their identity.

Do not allow this sloppy AirBnB practice. We should all be checking government issued photo ID at the door as well.

Language: In a pinch you can communicate with short and simple sentences with google translate.

Men vs. Women: haven't noticed a big difference in cleanliness or following the rules. More hair everywhere and longer in the bathroom for girls. I've noticed that men make more complaints/requests and hang around the shared spaces more.

No second hand bookings for me. Never. You are left holding the bag in so many ways if something goes wonky.

@Kat17 @Jessica-and-Henry0 

when we start hosting I expected that male guests will be more "problematic" then women, that young guests will be worse than older guests and families...

But it turns out I was totally wrong. Families with kids were a disaster and young male groups were all great. 

But we are off site hosts... it is not the same when you host someone in your home.