Guest ships 75 lbs of ammo to my office - Airbnb books him with another Host

Julene2
Level 3
IVGID, NV

Guest ships 75 lbs of ammo to my office - Airbnb books him with another Host

A confirmed guest from San Francisco asked to ship stuff to my address for arrival. I assumed it was ski gear as we are a ski resort in Nevada 4 hours from SF. I suggested he ship it to my office closeby. The first small 44 lb box arrived and I knew it wasn't ski stuff. So I inquired what it was, and why shipped. He replied it was "lead weights and old musket balls for an antique rifle". He also said it was "to save on shipping". My antennae went up. All this is documented on the platform chat correspondence BTW.

Yesterday a package arrives with a bunch of other packages to my office. My assistant opened them all as they are all addressed to me. Two packages contained the following;

From Target Sports USA

1 Case (25 boxes of 20) 30 lbs of
6.5 x 55 SWEDISH MAUSER AMMO

From Gun Mag Warehouse
RUGER BX-1 10 round magazine 3/pk Qty 2
ASC 7.62 Magazine 20- round magazine Qty 4
AK 47 KCI Qty 2

You read that right AK-47, Ruger and a Swedish Mauser (sniper rifle) ammo. 30 lbs++

I immediately call Airbnb to cancel the reservation and to report that the guest lied and what was sent. I spend over 6 hours explaining to different people the circumstances being assured that the "Trust and Safety" Team are investigating. No-one from this team or anywhere at Airbnb calls to ask for photos or shipping documents and verification of contents. NOBODY! I doubt if they called previous hosts to see if he has done this elsewhere.

Meanwhile, during this time the guest - whose name DOES NOT MATCH THE EMAILS ON THESE ORDER FORMS - is still contacting me through Airbnb to ask why I cancelled the reservation. Great safety Airbnb!

Last night I receive the following email from Airbnb:

[Private conversation hidden as per the community guidelines]

My questions:
1. How did they "confirm"? How do they know anything about this ammo? No-one there ever asked to "confirm" what I had in my possession!
2. Why believe the guest when there is written proof he lied about package contents?
3. Why rebook him with another host? Why is this man not permanently blocked from Airbnb?

Today the Washoe County Sheriff arrived to file a report on all those not "musket balls!" They informed me that the automatic weapon ammo was sent here because it is illegal in California. They told me to contact California Sheriff. Which I did. California told me to also report him to the ATF. Which I did. Three reports filed on this "guest" based on evidence of his clear intent to obtain illegal ammo across State lines.

The question law enforcement must now answer is what is he doing with this much ammo in 2 days? If this guy intends to transport this stuff across State lines, he is committing a crime. He lives in California. He needs to go home from Nevada. He booked for 2 nights (my minimum). Is he planning on using this ammo in 2 days in Nevada? Hello?! How much evidence does Airbnb require to protect Hosts?

And ... Airbnb did nothing. They re-booked him with another host.

Yay team! I sure feel safe.

14 Replies 14
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

And he used your name for shipping! wow!

I've seen other posts where guests used host's addresses for shipping marihuana etc... and that's why hosts do not allow guests to use their addresses for any kind of mail and postal delivery.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I look forward to the day someone ships a bit of marijuana to my house! There may not be much left by the time they arrive though 😉

@Susan17

do you feel lucky? 😄 LOL

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I certainly will if the postie knocks on my door with a big box of weed! 😉

Julene2
Level 3
IVGID, NV

Dobar Dan @Branka-and-Silvia0  - Lesson learned. For sure! It's general delivery at the Post Office from now on. The Nevada Sheriff escalated this and now the FBI has opened an investigation AND the US Postal Service. Everyone seems concerned, with the exception of Airbnb who shoved this guy onto some other unknowing host.

A simple search of his phone number and you can find he deals in guns and parts under every name but the one he uses on ABnB. Not illegal ( sadly) but he lied about what he was sending and why.  Apparently " saving on shipping" really means "can not get this legally in California". 

Here's another winning quote from the team " No need to worry since you reported this ...".   So says the rep in some far off call center. This gun nut has my home and work address! 

BTW - I LOVE CROATIA! And Zagreb. Hope to return. 

@Julene2

I am glad you enjoyed in Zagreb 🙂

So where is this package now? At sheriff's office? 🙂

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Julene2, what a terrible situation he and Airbnb have put you in. One would think if there was ONE situation where Airbnb would side with the host, it would be this one.  

I think it's a very good lesson learned about why we should not allow guests to ship things or use our addresses. I will certainly make sure I never do, after reading this. 

Julene2
Level 3
IVGID, NV

Ok update. Was interviewed by FBI.  Sent a letter to Chief Counsel, Head of PR and slew of folk at Corporate HQ. Finally got a call from ABnB staff in SF. Big apologies. I think at least someone there now sees they blew it. GunGuy is blocked on system while they investigate. Sent photos of packing list and ammo. 

You can imagine how much work I got done today! 

NV Sheriff can't take stuff as it's legal in NV. CA Sheriff can't because it's outside their juristiction. I can't transport or I'm trafficking. So...sent the stuff back via the 3 carriers used to ship 4 boxes. FedEx, UPS and USPS. Explained I didn't order it, and I don't want it. 

I am "dissapearing" from my office and home for next 4 days just to be safe. 

Thanks for support my fellow hosts! Like the saying goes; if you can't be a good example,  be a horrible warning! 

Consider yourselves warned! 🙂

So glad you’re safe. That’s a scary story and why it’s so problematic that Airbnb claims to vett these people then gives them our address. 

Keeping you in in our thoughts and fingers crossed that this is the last of it.

@Christine615  Yes, and now they've been telling some hosts that we aren't allowed to ask to see guest ID. There was a thread started on that the other day- the host got penalized for requesting ID.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julene2

I am glad to hear this story is over and I hope you were not penalized for cancelling this reservation 🙂

@Julene2 A tricky situation, very well handled by you. Well done, and stay safe. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julene2 OMG!  It's not just ensuring the host's safety they blew- what if he had intentions to commit some mass shooting? Wouldn't that be good PR for Airbnb when the whole story came out. 

Congrats on the way you handled it, gal- everytime Airbnb makes a highly inappropriate decision and gets raked over the coals for it big time, it will hopefully serve to make them more vigilant. 

May you stay safe.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

What a terrible story! Stay safe !