Guest sneaking in pet

Lauren170
Level 1
Cedar Key, FL

Guest sneaking in pet

We are in the middle of our first AirBNB guests visit. We have a separate guest cottage that the guests have sole control over except for "housekeeping", (emptying trash, collecting / washing towels, etc). It is expressly laid out in the "House Rules" that these short interruptions will occur on Day 2 of their stay and every other day thereafter.

We have an express NO PETS policy. (I am fatally allergic to cats and cannot even be in the same  building with them.)

Our guests are two females and they have a lot of "stuff". When I went to go collect towels, one met me at the door with the towels. I thought she was being nice. I reminded her that I still needed to collect trash and vaccume.

After they left for the day, I went in to empty the trash and vaccume. I found a bowl of water on the floor. (Like down for a pet).

I hadn't thought anything of it, but they have been parking right up at the door to the cabin (in spite of asking them to park in a specific location). Now I believe they are parking at the door so they can get a pet in and out without us seeing.

What do I do???  What recourse do I have?

7 Replies 7
Maggie93
Level 2
Martinez, CA

Check out cancellations. If they are violating your house rules you do have a right to terminate the agreement I think. Maybe ask "How do I ask a guest to leave for breaking the rules"? You won't lose all your money.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lauren170 but, except a bowl of water you didn't find any hair and didn't get allergy? 

My allergies did act up but I didn't find any hair because I didn't go through anything. I was only in there to empty the trash and vaccume and did not want to violate their privacy.

Though there is no reason to have a bowl of water on the floor unless they have a pet.

Maggie93
Level 2
Martinez, CA

Hi Lauren

I finally found the number for Airbnb and called them because that is a good question. 

To get number:

Go into Help Community Search   Put question "How do I contact Airbnb"  Scroll down to "Contact Airbnb A Community Help Guide"

Read all the way down and you will find a list of Airbnb phone numbers world wide. Use the 800 #

Take photo's or viseo of vilation. Call Airbnb with name of guest.They will contact guestn and acertain what is going on. You will be able to proceed then. They may suggest asking them to leave, or pay a cleaning damage fee or you can ask for sone refund I think.

Always ask for a cleaning fee on your listing ad a deposit. You can then afford to have the room professionally cleaned before next guest!

Good luck...........hint. Maybe go out to their car when a guest arrives to "help with bags" ad check no animals.

Maggie

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi, @Lauren170, the first thhhing I would do is ask the guests very frankly if they were keeping a pet because you noticed a water dish on the floor as you were vacuuming. Most people will be honest. If they say "no", I would explain that you are extremely allergic, so it is a good thing there is no pet there. See what their actions and responses are. Remind them again of where they are supposed to park, ask them not to park by he front door. And the next time they park, try to be outside so you can say "hi" in a friendly way, all the while trying to look for the pet. If you know they broke your house rules, there are things you can do, but first you must establish whether the rules were broken or not.

As host, we shouldnt have to stand and justify our house rules.  We have them in place for very good reason.  If a guest is suspicious of breaking a rule, I will confront them at the onset.  No means no.  I have no hesitation to call Airbnb and they usually deal direct with the guest and ask them to leave if I cant get results.

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

I have a no pet policy in place too.  I worry all the time about future guests with allergies and so our guest quarters are with a separate furnace system to ensure that our resident cats cant creat any issues.  For 27 years we have only had one guest leave and that is because she saw the cats and freaked out.  But I have had many guests ask and I have refused and many other guests who have tried to sneak in their dogs.  It's really difficult not to be caught.  Guests DO park too close to their entrance and evidence of floor dishes (even found in the sink to clean) are a red flag.  

I stayed in the gardens outside of the "Carriage House" for five hours one day...right beside the car with the dog in it.  The guest said she was taking over to her friend's to stay....but five hours????  It was a nice summer day and thankfully not a hot one.  I did enjoy the gardening but it was taking it's toll...and way to long to waste time.  But I stayed there until the guest came out and took the dog away  (dont know where and didnt care).  This guest was to pay upon arrival and didnt.  Every day for six days I asked and finally one day she left*$(%#@.  And the credit card on hold for security was denied.  Gotta love this business????

FYI I have a full proof way to eliminate the issues.  Works every time.  I tell the potential guests that I have two resident siamese cats (which I do) who are outdoor cats and territorial.  I also say that they are very tempermental and we try to keep them away from guests as much as we can.  We tell them that it is at their own risk if the cats attack their pet...even though we are very consciencous at keeping these pets away from any guests and their accommodations.  Amazing how many guests agree not to bring their pets.  (and FYI these are the two friendliest critters on this planet and obedient like dogs.  When I call, they come and I tuck them away out of site )