Guest snores loudly nonstop past 2am Zzzz

Josephine6
Level 2
Northampton, United Kingdom

Guest snores loudly nonstop past 2am Zzzz

I had a guest arrive guest arrive for a 5 night stay.

Now on second night of being kept awake at 2am by thunderous loud snoring. My sleep, health & wellbeing, plus getting up st 7am for work is worth more than the under £20 nightly rate I'm getting.

My cancellation policy is strict & I need guest for find somewhere else preferably after work tomorrow. ( there are local alternatives at higher cost to guest as my listing is cheapest whilst WIDE awake in Northampton England 2.10am...

Please advise, thanks

22 Replies 22
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Earplugs?

Josephine6
Level 2

I wish earplugs worked 😞
Am sending guest email as it's 2.30am, that I will need to get AirBnb assistance/guidance & he look for alternative host for next few nights. There are other houses available within 5/10 minutes walk.

I have no issue refunding nights not stayed but whilst guest happily snores away - I'm getting sleep deprivation.

Thanks

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Josephine6

Yes, I think Airbnb intervention would be best in this case. I have been wondering what to do if I ever get a real snorer... esp. since it's a sensitive subject to bring up. But I think if I had somebody booked for 5 days who snored like that I'd still prefer addressing the subject with guest first before having Airbnb contacting them out of the blue. Seems more honest, though much harder.

I wonder it was very rude to mention in the review albeit nicely after otherwise praising them as guest  (if applicable)say that he was more suited to a better sound-proofed hotel room at night....

I have the same issue now none of us can sleep another 2 nights of this ! What did you do ? What do you reccomend I do ?

hes very obviously a heavy drinker as comes in at night very obviously drunk and drinking ! 

Josephine6
Level 2

Hi, 

was awful & no assistance/response from AirBnb.

i had to ask him to leave but said one more night possible if he couldn't find a late alternative.

I had no issue to refund the nights he didn't stay but then he had the nerve to ask for refund of 2 nights he had already slept (stating was inconvenience for hom to look elsewhere). He left room in revolting state due to an unfortunate flaking skin condition.

Gave me a 3* review in August that has even now stopped me from obtaining Superhost status as my score remains just under 80%  

See if you can get any assistance from AirBnb official staff as I can't imagine it appropriate or acceptable having to tolerate drunkeness or being subjected to sleep deprevation.

Good luck getting resolution Nathalie. 

Bao1
Level 2
California, United States

I put this in "The Space" section, hope it will work:

"

Four bedrooms, two baths, single family house peaceful residential living.  Our goal is to provide you with a 'fair value & no frills' private room that is comfortable, clean and safe! 
     Our wooden floor house with windows open in summer will gather dust every minute even if we vacuum hourly, so we cannot be so 'dust phobic' friendly 🙂
     California homes do not have thick brick walls due to earthquake rules, please have headphones for music or videos, and we cannot be so 'loud snoring' friendly either 🙂

"

Any other advice from hosts who have had this issue, please share. I wouldn't want to loose sleep!

Elizabeth589
Level 1
Santa Rosa, CA

I also just experienced a loud snore. She told me she forgot her CPAP machine. Is there anyone here the simili with how loud a CPAP machine is?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Some people snore, some really loudly.  My earplugs work just fine for that. I don't understand why people don't use them and then complain.

understand it bothers you....but in my opinion its rather rude to ask a snorer to leave. He paid, he is not misbehaving. He just has an issue

Mary-and-Col0
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

Sorry to say, you are the problem not your guest,  you can make the rule no loud snorers, set boundaries, its your home, its not rude or unkind to mention this.  If you are losing sleep and its making you ill and perhaps stressed at a guest in the house, then make sure this is one of your guidelines.

I am sure loud snorers are well aware of it, and should do something about it, perhaps wear nose plasters or not drink so much alcohol, it is selfish of them not to try and deal with the issue, there are gadgets out there for snoring problems. if a guest or yourself  were banging a drum or tv up loud something would be said. Just make it a rule 'no loud snorers  thankyou, or sound proof room. Its up to you to make the rules in your home.

As a guest in a Airbnb tract home,  I have the immediate unfortunate experience of being in a room next to a heavy snoring guest.  This guy is big and LOUD.  The first night of his snoring, gagging and snorting,  then chattering,  then sounding like wolverines fighting.  There is snoring and SNORING.  Ive been meaning to talk to him but he is elusive,  I mean to ask him if he is aware of the health risk and if not, then suggest a cpap may give him the rest he needs.   I myself have been known to snore, but my cpap resolves that.  It also drowns out most sounds, but not this guy,  I also have to use earbuds and play loud  white noise through them,  but still hear the wolverines.  I dont know how how long he will be here,  I was hoping, not long.

First time this has happened to me anywhere...... and I've shared housing many places starting with the military barracks.  As a host,  I will change my posting to include some sort of "minimize your snoring" clause.  

Emi1
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

Hi, I'm having the same isue with loud snoring from my Airbnb guest who booked for 9 nights. I think guests should notify their host about snoring prior to confirming the reservation. My bedroom is next to my guest, and she gave me no choice.

Earplugs is not an option, they come off and hurt my ears. The effort should not be on the host. Airbnb must remain a mutually pleasant experience. Either parties have a right to cancel. I will speak with my guest in the morning and suggest a cancellation/refund.

Aniesh3
Level 1
Castel Gandolfo, IT

Had a same problem. A person who booked for 3 nights, And at first day he makes a lot of trouble, with snoring. Two people who booked for 2 nights checked out at 5 Am.(Due to him) at 1st day.  now I want to cancel his reservation.should I, or any alternative.

Clare437
Level 2
United Kingdom

I have a loud snoring guest on his first of 14 nights.  I am very scared.  What did you do? Were AirBnB supportive?