Guest snores loudly nonstop past 2am Zzzz

Josephine6
Level 2
Northampton, United Kingdom

Guest snores loudly nonstop past 2am Zzzz

I had a guest arrive guest arrive for a 5 night stay.

Now on second night of being kept awake at 2am by thunderous loud snoring. My sleep, health & wellbeing, plus getting up st 7am for work is worth more than the under £20 nightly rate I'm getting.

My cancellation policy is strict & I need guest for find somewhere else preferably after work tomorrow. ( there are local alternatives at higher cost to guest as my listing is cheapest whilst WIDE awake in Northampton England 2.10am...

Please advise, thanks

22 Replies 22

@Clare437  Scared of what? Why is someone with a snoring problem frightening? 

Use some earplugs so you can't hear him. That's what I do when I have guests who snore loudly.

How rude of you to comment in such a way.  I hope for their sake that you are more polite to your guests.  

'Scared' was a joke - it's something that people with a sense of humour do, nothing you need to worry about clearly. 

I'm concerned about not sleeping tonight, as it is my birthday tomorrow.  Concerned also about the effect of my daughter waking up multiple times in the night (3 so far and it is 10.30) will have on her day and days going forward, but most concerned at the longevity of this booking, and that I am going to have to address it.  If it were a couple of nights, I might ignore it, but I don't think that I can live with this for weeks without the sleep depravation taking a toll on me and my young daughter.

I have a big work day tomorrow, then BD stuff, and could really do without a snorer keeping me awake today of all days.

Re: earplugs, I don't have any.  My daughter wouldn't wear them.  When I worked in music festivals, I found that they fell out of my ears, as do 'in the ear' earbuds as soon as I move my jaw, which is why I don't use them. 

I wonder if anyone has any advice about anti-snoring devices.  Do they work?

@Clare437  It wasn't at all obvious that you were joking- I have a healthy sense of humor and sarcasm, thank you very much. And there wasn't anything impolite about my response. What is impolite is calling into question how I deal with my guests when you know nothing about me or my listing and obviously didn't bother to look at the reviews guests leave me before making such a comnent.

Had you explained the situation to start with, I might have had a different response. I also used to be bamboozled as to people wore earplugs, as they would also fall out of my ears and not block sound. Then a nurse friend of mine I mentioned it to got her tool to look in my ears, and said it was because my ear canal was on a weird angle. I then learned how to put those bullet-shaped soft earplugs in so they stayed in place and did totally block out sound. It was a welcome revelation, as I'm a light sleeper.

Not sure what anti-snoring devices you are referring to- something used by the snorer, or something to block you and your daughter being able to hear it?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

You just need the proper tools.

(But be prepared for a bad review from the guest)

Emiel1_1-1637189126085.png

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Josephine6 I see a review that seems to be from this person, but yours does not indicate anything about being disruptive at night, nor the condition of the room upon check out. Any reason for that? Future hosts may want to know. 

If any hosts have an issue with loud snoring in a shared space, my friend who hosts in a home share has the following in her house rules:

"This is a home share situation. Any guests who are disruptive or noisy during our quiet hours (11pm to 7am) will be asked to find an accommodation more suitable to their needs. Please be respectful of your fellow guests."

She has had to ask those with loud snoring and night terrors/sleepwalking to leave and has been upheld by ABB as she had the behaviors in her house rules. 

She had a concern that guests with these medical conditions may file a complaint of discrimination and consulted with an attorney in her area. She was told that as long as she does not deny booking to them based on the condition prior to arrival, she is in the clear. I would check with the laws in your area if you share a home and make sure you are on the right side of things. Snoring terribly is very common (I want to smother my poor husband at times who is an epic snorer) so I would imagine this is not the last time you will run into this. People who snore truly should not be booking shared places with strangers. 

Jeff761
Level 3
Bristol, PA

Install weather stripping on their door and yours, top and sides.  Bottom too if needed.  $20-40 or so should solve the problem. 

@Jeff761  Good tip, but that doesn't necessarily work. The sound can come right through the door itself or the wall. There is a door into the bathroom from my guest room, the bathroom itself, and another door on the other side of the bathroom that leads into my room, and even if I stuff a towel under my door, and hang something over my door, I can still hear the couple of mega snorer guests I've had  loud and clear.

Sound uses air to transmit.  The seemingly minor thin cracks around a door allow a great deal of sound to freely travel. 

Sealing all of them with inexpensive rubber, silicone or foam weather stripping makes a big difference.   

A few towels will not accomplish the same thing.