Guest staying at present - a few red flags

Nick1866
Level 4
Limerick, Ireland

Guest staying at present - a few red flags

Hi folks,

I had a guest stay with me for three days last week, and she was due to also stay at mine from June 8 to 28.

On her first night here she brought a couple of friends/relatives to inspect the room. I thought nothing of it, as she said she is moving back to the area, and wanted a bit of peace of mind.

She left her gear in the room, but she has not spent a single night here. From what I understand, she has been staying in a local hotel with a friend of hers.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt, and we met last night, and I helped her with her CV - she is hoping to secure a job in Limerick. She asked me on Friday if she could add a friend to her upcoming stay, and I agreed she could, if she wanted to alter the booking on Airbnb.

When I met her last night, I asked her about it again, and she did a bit of a U-turn, and insisted she wants to plough her own furrow as it were. We agreed to remain in touch ahead of her second stay with me from Tuesday.

This afternoon, I received a notification from Airbnb telling me the reservation had been cancelled. I contacted her about it, and she insisted this never happened.

Even when I provided a screen grab of the email, she said she had not cancelled, and told me she had set up a new profile on Airbnb. Now she is hoping to meet me later

She appears to have changed tack again and is wondering if her friend can stay after all. She is angling after staying two months, even though I have previously told her I have another guest checking in on June 28.

As I said before, she has not slept one night here, despite paying for a three-night reservation. The only times she has been here is to seek help from me with her CV.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but am struggling a bit here. Prior to her arrival, she seemed a bit 'all over the place', and this is a theme which has continued somewhat into her stay when she has asked me if she can use my computer to do online questionnaires and job hunts.

I am helping her as much as I could, but there are limits to what I can do. I am providing accommodation - not a job search facility.

When a guest hardly uses the accommodation they paid for, it rings all sorts of alarm bells. Am I being too sensitive here? Something doesn't' smell right.

17 Replies 17
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nick1866 My advice is ‘never’  ignore your instincts. Red flags rarely lie. 

Thanks Colleen.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

This is very interesting. Do you suppose the profile change is a tactic to get out of Airbnb for this next booking, and angle to book with you direct, thereby avoiding the Airbnb fee?

Honestly would not surprise me - If I had a euro for every guest who has asked to book off-platform... well you know the rest of that phrase, I am sure.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

A guest who changes their mind, deletes their profile and creates a new one does NOT NEED TO STAY.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nick1866  Absolutely do not allow her to book long term. 

And sounds like she should be paying someone for the kind of help you've been giving her for free. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nick1866  it reminds me of an article I've read recently about a reason why some guests never show up. I don't remember details anymore but they just needed an address for some kind of fraud. I tried to find it but couldn't. I don't say that's the case with your guest but it came to my mind...

@Branka-and-Silvia0 , the one I saw was that they book in order to use it as a shipping address -- they will just meet the courier outside the listing, never setting foot inside the listing. They are being shipped the cash that others in the racket have convinced innocent fraud victims to send. 

Never heard of them asking for CV advice, though. 😉

Thanks for the update, @Nick1866 . Hope you update again if you get any answers. 

@Lawrene0 

yes, that one

Nick1866
Level 4
Limerick, Ireland

UPDATE: Guest returned, insisted on trying to pay using the card of a friend, and on an alternative profile. Security did not pass.

She said her credit card is empty and she came to Ireland with 3,000eur cash in her pocket only.

Did another volte-face and said she is not keen for her friend to stay after all. She has gone out partying and not come home.

But her friend Paolo rang the bell at 1am local time looking for her.

Sheesh,

@Nick1866 She’s really proving that ‘red flags never lie’, lol.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Weirder than most of the weird ones we've been getting lately, but in same category. 

Funny stuff going on out there 🤨

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Nick1866 ,you've been very generous with your time and skills. Sounds to me as if she's just using your place as an address for her job hunt. Follow your instincts or you may get shafted.

Thanks for all the support guys - she left this morning.

Frankly, I'm happy to forego the €270 I may have got for her staying the rest of month if I can retain my sanity!

- Nick