Guest stealing items

Cheryl130
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Guest stealing items

I am new to Airbnb and have just hosted my very first guest in a fully self contained home. We went over and above to host this particular guest and find now that the guest has stolen a desk lamp (of all things). It's only worth $6, but nevertheless, I would have expected better of an older couple who had good reviews. I am wondering how the deposit works with Airbnb if they were. for example, to steal the television set.  Are such items covered by the Airbnb insurance policy? How much is the insurance excess if I make a claim? How long have I got after the guest checks out to make a claim? Does Airbnb hold onto the guest's deposit for 'X' number of days unless I make a claim in the meantime?

41 Replies 41

I think Lisa is right about finding the lamp, it's surprising to me that even though people are there for a few days they have to redecorate. If you look around you will probably find it next to a bed or someplace where a person may do some reading. 

And soap, tp, coffee k-cups, and first aid supplies top my list of things that disappear. I guess people don't consider that stealing.  And since it's not worth making a big deal of it there isn't really anything you can do except think of it as it goes with the territory.

Marie909
Level 2
Covington, GA

Hi I am a new host myself. I think if you’re not home 24/7 you shouldn’t be hosting for Airbnb guests. Having said that you cannot tell me you’re going to hand your home key to a stranger and not checking on him or her. If you do that you set your home to being trashed and vandalized. I am a self employed in my home, that didn’t prevent people from stealing towels, a decorative bottle and keys that was for other rooms that they were not staying in. I ended up changing the front entrance lock and some other rooms lock. Because if someone tried to steal keys, they probably have something fishy in their agenda about your home. 

Of course she denied that she removed the key while I found her left over bottle of water on my desk where the keys were.

please invest in some surveillance video cameras. If they know you have them, they will be easy on their stealing but that doesn’t mean they won’t. 

Marie-Et-Simon0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Cheryl, the deposit isn’t really a deposit in Airbnb world. Google it and you’ll learn heaps.

IMO it is extremely important to have a proper insurance policy that covers your Airbnb hosting. And I mean a policy that you sign up for yourself. Don’t rely on Airbnb.

I had an issue with a guest, a serious issue I mean, ; )

@Marie-Et-Simon0 wrote:

Cheryl, the deposit isn’t really a deposit in Airbnb world. Google it and you’ll learn heaps.

IMO it is extremely important to have a proper insurance policy that covers your Airbnb hosting. And I mean a policy that you sign up for yourself. Don’t rely on Airbnb.

and Airbnb was 100% suportive finantially. But not sure if I was lucky or that there is an insurance. I still don't understand that aspect. In any case it has to be said that they were very understanding. Actually, also understanding on how to treat the whole situation and no only the money aspect. 

Olena15
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hello there, I was just looking for fellow hosts who have been in this predicament. This guest of mine posted a review almost immediately after check out, I reciprocated. Only to discover she had helped herself to some petty items from her room and the kitchen. Could not believe at first. A knife from a set, a clothes hanger., etc.. 

And nothing I can do. Just have a moan here. Is it how she made her stay a better value? 

Steven614
Level 4
West Palm Beach, FL

I just had a 4 day guest walk off with a creme brûlée torch. I dunno what the heck he was doing with my creme brûlée torch but he must have needed it to smoke something which I don’t allow any smoking of any sort and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t for a cigarette. But the torch was missing and I noticed it when I went o light a candle which is what I tend to use it for when not using it to turn sugar into that delicious hard shell that it is meant to be used for.  I did message the guest and worded it like perhaps the guest accidentally packed it but no one should have been touching my creme brûlée torch from my kitchen.  That’s just not cool.  In any case I’m not happy about this but since it is under 25 bucks I’m not planning now to bother with a claim.  

@Steven614   You have a private room listing which means you are there and the guest has some private space and some shared space.  Your pictures are confusing to me so I recommend you consider adding captions to the pictures which identify what is shared and what is private.  Also, you need to define what the guest access to the kitchen encompasses.  If you have items that the guest should not use, you might consider locking it up.  Usually if the host is right there theft is not a problem so I wonder how the guest might have been able to take something from a shared space.  When something like this happens, it is just icky, right?

Hi Linda  thanks for the input!  It was a younger man and late night. I guess perhaps I’m still learning the bits for this AirBnB stuff.  But I didn’t expect anything to get taken.  I’ve now loved one of the security cams to keep an eye on the kitchen as well. I will see about updating the photos as u suggest. Thanks a lot!!!! 

What a drag! Guest who do take things know you wont bother with a claim! I no longer put anything out that can be lifted that I care about and yes they do break things and either take them with or bury in the garbage. That was a 25.00 torch and it was not theirs to take! I have enjoyed being a host on airbnb but there should be a message from them about the home they are renting for a night being treated with respect and taking things will come with a bad review but in the meantime, I do it!

Ive read that there are some host who think they cant give a guest a bad review because airbnb wont like it...not true!  However if the guest dont leave you a review you cant respond either.  I now take pictures with the days date on the chalkboard on the fridge that shows the coffee center.

Good luck and dont leave anything they can take that you care about!

A Fellow host..

Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

My approach to hosting is that anything in the place is subject to being used, damaged, or taken.  Granted, my listing is an entire guest house, but we made a point to design the place somewhat minimalistically to reduce the amount of stuff that can be damaged or stolen.  It makes it very easy to inventory the place at a glance when doing a turnover.  One weird thing I noticed was that spoons kept disappearing.  I couldn't figure out why someone was taking spoons (well, I had one thought, but my guests didn't seem like those kind of guests), and then one day I figured out the hard way what was happening when I cleaned the garbage disposal - Guests were dropping silverware in the garbage disposal and damaging the silverware, so it would go into the trash without us being told.  My solution was to buy silverware from a restaurant supply where I can pick up one or two pieces as necessary.  

I know the situation in a private room listing is much different, but I always recommend avoiding clutter or extraneous items in the listing.

I did a more thorough inventory and this fella who took the creme brûlée torch also walked off with about 6 or so full sized dove soap bars. Absolutely ridiculous. I purchase these when I catch an amazon coupon which come up only rarely or at Costco so I pay under a buck a bar and considering the price I pay for the little tiny hotel sized bars I also leave these out for guests and ziplocs so they can, should they choose, take the bar home with them.  This fella took the remainder of a ten pack that was under the sink. It is just irritating that someone stole from my house  especially when I try to offer extras to people.  Anyway rant over.  

The simple answer is to get a soap and bodywash (some are also shampoo) and conditioner dispenser in your shower on your wall. Get one with high ratings that will stay on the wall. Its way cheaper and they have nice smelling choices. Nothing is being wasted or taken.

We had a brand new laptop stolen while two sets of guests were staying with us. I reached out to the guests for information. One responded the second I sent my message. The others never responded. The one who responded new nothing and then gave a poor review. Airbnb was of no help. You cannot have strangers in your home without their financial information. Airbnb will not protect you. $800 lost is a lot of bookings. This is our last year with Air.

Since your profile has no information about you or a listing, I gather you have already removed your listing.  However, I am surprised that guests had access to your laptop.  I always lock up important items if I am not present.  If you cannot provide proof of the theft by a particular guest, I would imagine you were also not able to report the theft to the police or to your home owner's insurance.  I am afraid you might have been a bit too casual and trusting for this business.  So sorry it was such an expensive lesson.

Katrina206
Level 2
West Chester, PA

I'm thinking of moving into my airbnb (it's vacant currently with furniture and items if no personal value). If I do this it will be emptied first - and I'd move all of my things into and stay next door when it's rented. Now in concerned about having my beloved items in the space 😞   even if they could be prosecuted - my things would still be long gone.