Guest stealing items

Cheryl130
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Guest stealing items

I am new to Airbnb and have just hosted my very first guest in a fully self contained home. We went over and above to host this particular guest and find now that the guest has stolen a desk lamp (of all things). It's only worth $6, but nevertheless, I would have expected better of an older couple who had good reviews. I am wondering how the deposit works with Airbnb if they were. for example, to steal the television set.  Are such items covered by the Airbnb insurance policy? How much is the insurance excess if I make a claim? How long have I got after the guest checks out to make a claim? Does Airbnb hold onto the guest's deposit for 'X' number of days unless I make a claim in the meantime?

41 Replies 41
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It is important for all hosts to understand both the security deposit  and the host protection, @Cheryl130.  Having stated that, I wonder how many of us really understand insurance.  Anyway, don't sweat the little stuff ($6 lamps) but understand the process for the big ticket items.  Like all insurance (including security deposit) you need proof it was the actions of the guest that caused ALL the damage.  Sometimes it is very clear, but sometimes there are normal wear and tear aspects to the damage.  

Loss as opposed to damage requires that the loss or theft be provably attributed to the guest.  

All this is difficult and many of us have a new respect for the job of a prosecuting attorney.  

That you are not clear about the security deposit indicates you might benefit from reviewing some of the hosting articles in the Help Center about hosting basic.  Security deposit is not collected by Air BNB.   Instead Air BB just reserves the ability to access the credit card used to pay for the reservation should there be a claim.

Good luck!!

Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Cheryl130 Hi there. What a bummer that you've experienced this. We've been hosting for over 4 years and have had our share of similar issues. However, don't be discouraged. For the most part, we love hosting and are grateful for the support we receive from Airbnb should situations like these arise.

Best of luck!

Deb

Automate your Airbnb messages with Aviva IQ

Carianne1
Level 3
Wakefield, Canada

Good day! We are also somewhat new to AirBnb. We have encountered a couple of hiccups along the way as well. We recently had a family steal a bar of soap (no biggy!), a large towel and a very nice bathrobe. We have a hot tub on our property, and I thought it would be nice to offer bathrobes for our guests so that they can get in and out comfortably.

What is frustrating, is that many hosts like me, go out of our way to create a beautiful experience for our guests and they turn around and do something like this.

As well, just yesterday, the guest left our house in a disgusting mess and had dogs in - even thought we have a "no-pet allowed" policy.... my daughter is allergic! Not impressed.

Any thoughts would be very nice!

Take care.

@Carianne1 Steal a bar of soap? I know you said no biggie, but I wouldn't consider that stealing. Were you planning to leave out a used bar of soap for the next guest? I'd assume a bar of soap is personal, and that if I had used it, I was free to take it.

As for the robe, towel and dog, totally uncool of the guests. 

Hi Sarah, I always offer a free bar of soap for those who forget this important detail! However, I kept extra bars of soap (new ones for other guests) in the bathroom drawer. This one couple took the new bars (that were in the drawer).

I also notice that if you leave extra rolls of toilet paper and/or paper towel - that people actually misuse and/or take them with you. I had a guest who used/took over 10 rolls of toilet paper over a 2-day stay!

Crazy!

@Carianne1, Okay, I get it now, sorry I misunderstood, but it wasn't clear.  Other hosts have learned (and sounds like you have, too) not to leave out more than you figure the guests will need for the length of their stay, just telling them if they run out, to let you know. It would really take a lot of balls to ask for 10 extra rolls of toilet paper!

@Carianne1  You have a couple of different issues.  One is the claim of theft and another is a claim that the guest disregarded your rules.  Theft or loss is handled through the Resolution Center with a claim.  Look at the Help Center article as to how this process works.  You need to have approached the guest with the loss first and if the guest agrees they "inadvertantly" took the items, you just need to establish a claim amount and request security deposit payment.

Disreguard of rules is handled in the review process.  Unless you are claiming damage by the dog that have monetary consequences, you give a thumbs down review for the guest not respecting your listing and bringing a dog to your space.  Good luck!!

I recently had a similar issue. A couple of guest took an extra 10-15 full bars of soap I had put away in a drawer for future guest. They stayed for 1 night. I contacted airbnb and left them a 1 star review. Stealing is stealing no matter how big or small. They would have probably stolen more items outside the room if it weren't for me being present during their entire stay. Petty thieves. 

@Carianne0. We have come to the conclusion that it is normal for people to take things like extra toilet paper, soap, towels. With people from all walks of life, there is no telling what they are going to do. I stocked our listing with extra toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, etc, and two of the guests that we have had ended up taking all the extra with them. I have learned to leave one extra roll of toilet paper, and one extra of everything else instead of a lot!  I actually had a guest that left our bathtub full of muddy water. Nothing surprises me about people! We have also found that guests will book for two people and end up bringing more than what they said!

Your comments, remind me of a situation I experienced about 5 years ago.

I had a locum- vet (female) enquire about staying for 12 weeks.  We negotiated the weekly tariff and everything was going along fine.  Then after about 4 weeks, I encountered a ‘second’ person strolling on the back yard.  This person, turned out to the boyfriend of the single guest staying in the accommodation. He had recently landed in Aust., from the United Kingdom.  The original guest was so sneaky and untruthful about what she intended all along.  ( ie Two people staying for the negotiated tariff for one person.  
I challenged the guest. She wouldn’t talk about it. The result - at the end of week was the guest ( & boyfriend) moved out!   I was pleased to see the back of them!  But it just shows you, people will do anything to exploit AirBnb hosts..  It was in the early days of my AirBnb hosting, and was a good learning experience.

all the best!

Allison,

Level 10,

Australia

Me too and PLEASE pardon the sarcastic tone but how can a bar of soap even be noticed as missing let alone considered stolen!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I’ll bet you ten bucks that desk lamp is somewhere else in your house. People move things inexplicably and take (or leave) things by accident. I’ve never had any theft. A desk lamp? Message them and ask if they know where it is.

Or sometimes people accidentally break something, then put it out in the garbage and never mention it. A friend had a maid like that- really klutzy, broke something almost every time she cleaned. My friend said she really wouldn't have minded if the woman had just said- oh, sorry, I broke a glass (mirror, vase,etc.) today, but instead she tried to bury the evidence in the bottom of the garbage can.

I am just new to this and our second group was a wreck-I had a statue on the fireplace  mantel and when i came to clean - after what had apparently been a party - i realized it was gone—texted them and the said it was moved so they could take pictures- we finally found it hidden in a plant!  They broke a vase, left trash, beer bottles food etc and wet towels everywhere-  I was upset enough to not want to host again! Not sure I can go through this anymore. I did not have a security deposit request before but i do now.