Guest stole cash from my wife's purse

Mo42
Level 1
Boston, MA

Guest stole cash from my wife's purse

My wife left her purse on the coach with her wallet in it. Next day when we woke up. We both were shocked after we found out that one of the guest went through her purse and wallet, and stold the cash we had inside of the wallet. It was exactly  $115. We were not sure which guest did this since I had two rooms with guests in it. I reported the incident to Airbnb, but since then I haven't hear back from Airbnb. Any advice of what I should do next?

5 Replies 5

@Mo42

I think unless you report this to the police, Airbnb will not get involved in any way. This is just my opinion.........but based on stories we hear from other guests, this seems to be the case when theft or burglery is involved.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I agree a Police matter.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Mo0

I agree definitely a police matter.

Airbnb won't take action in cases where you are unsure about which guest has taken the money/damaged goods/behaved badly and in any case I don't believe they cover cash.

I have to say I wouldn't be leaving valuables including cash lying around when I have guests. Should always be kept in a locked room.

All you can do is speak to each guest in a calm manner (you need to be a 100 per cent it wasn't mislaid) and say unfortunately some money has disappeared from your wife's purse and that you will need to contact the police.

A difficult one, as you wouldn't want anyone in your house who is stealing from you.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Mo42  Unless you are willing to file a police report and accuse your guests of stealing, I suggest you and your wife chalk this up to an expensive lesson learned.  If you do accuse your guests, be prepared for scathing reviews that would have a very negative impact on your business.  Of course how do you review the guests, right?  Very difficult situation to be in.  Don't envy you at all.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It is a Pandora's Box best not be opened; take it as a learning experience, and in the future lock all things because your have ~strangers~ staying in your house.