Guest successfully extorts a refund

Oona0
Level 3
Hastings, United Kingdom

Guest successfully extorts a refund

I started hosting in June this year and it's been in the main a real pleasure, I have 25 positive reviews and until recently had a 5 star rating. All good until 3 weeks ago when I waived my 2 night minimum booking to offer a couple a single nights hire with extra early check in - at no extra charge - so they could attend a wedding.

The following day I received a bogus reservation request that turned out to be the guests girlfriend asking me to call a number ASAP. Airbnb redacted the number so I sent several messages asking what was wrong (thinking fire, medical emergency...) waiting and not hearing back, I wrote my number as words. Then received a call in which the guest said they had not stayed at the property but had returned in the morning for a shower but there was an issue with the boiler, I said I'll be there in 10mins but he said that he was a plumber and couldn't fix it and that they had left already - I then noticed that it was way after check out time.

I arrived at my accommodation and it took me 5 mins to restore water pressure and reset the boiler. The guests had eaten the food and drunk the beer and juice I left for them and by the looks of things had taken a shower.

The guest requested a refund which I refused as they contacted me after check out time, I explained that had they contacted me during their reservation I could have fixed the problem.Then the fireworks started. 

I received an obnoxious, ranting message, threatening to write a 'horrifc' review if i continued to refuse a refund. Then came the phone calls , initially from the guests phone, because his message was so aggressive I ignored the first 2 calls and blocked his number. Then his girlfriend started calling, on the third call I answered and explained I couldn't take her call as I was in the middle of teaching - to which she became aggressive and threatened to continue to call until I picked up. She called 27 times back to back until eventually I was able to block her number.

I was shaking and took time out from teaching to make a call to Airbnb and lodged a complaint and was assured that someone would contact me in 24-48 hours. I am still waiting - 3 weeks later.

During this time I received a message from a case worker stating the guest had requested a refund, I explained my complaint and asked him to look into the case and to not offer a refund until my complaint had been dealt with.

I have called Airbnb 6 times to find out if my complaint has been dealt with, today I was told that the guest had been sent a refund. I am utterly incensed that Airbnb chose to leave one party waiting for 3 weeks, to ignore my complaint, whilst refunding and therefore supporting an aggressive bully to successfully extort a refund and write a horrifc review full of untruths.

As a precaution I had the boiler serviced. I told the engineer what had happened and that the guest was a boiler engineer (according to his profile), he thought it very odd a boiler engineer was unable to do as I had done and just restore the water pressure and reset the boiler. Coincidence that a boiler that had never had any issues suddenly looses pressure whilst a boiler engineer is there.

The guests horrific review is still on my listing and I haven't received a booking since it was published. The guest knows my address, my property I felt so threatened I didn't want to write a truthful account of what happended in my review of him in case he decided to come back and cause damage or worse.

Needless to say I'm very disappointed in Airbnb's rewarding and enabling extortion and fraud.

42 Replies 42
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Oona0 You have great reviews overall and this review stands out as being false - the only mistake I think you make wass  to go into so much detail in your response: a simple =- these guests are only suitabn;e fpr jpte; accp,,pdatopm Also - trust your instincts - there was a reason you only ever did two nights minimum - good luck

@Gerry0 thank you, I wanted to counter each false issue he wrote about but I agree and have learned from my mistakes!

This guest wrote a long review and I think yours was a perfect reply of equal measure. It won't  show all of it unless someone clicks to read more, so not a problem. As a potential guest, it would be helpful for me to get a sense of both sides. Your other reviews show this is clearly an unusual situation. It won't be long before you shake this bad review. But the low stars could affect your listing placement.

I had something similar, over 400 5 star reviews then one (verifiably) crazy review.  Airbnb chose the guest's side without allowing me a single comment. I was so mad I got my own website and shifted my marketing and now do $7,000/month (about 60% of my business) outside Airbnb.  I used to be Airbnb's biggest fan but they are blowing it with customer service to hosts.

Oona0
Level 3
Hastings, United Kingdom

I feel the same and looked into booking.com, they're software is so awful after completing as listing I removed it! They charge a higher fee and as far as I could see they don't insure your property.

How do you manage your own marketing to get even close to Airbnb's global reach?

Dear Chelsea, Where do you market now?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Oona0,

I think most potential guests don't take the review very serious. It is clear the guest did not spent the night in the accomodation and probably wants a refund for that by making up stories. You probably regret having this guest given this 1 night stay option anyway. I think Airbnb should remove all review /comment regarding this incident, as there was simply no normal stay and guests also use personally attacking words towards you. It's a shame they provided a refund without exploring the case thorougly.

Best regards, Emiel

Oona0
Level 3
Hastings, United Kingdom

Hoping the review will be removed whenever my case is dealt with!

I agree!!  I had a similar situation myself but my was not as terrible as yours!!  That is very sad!!!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Oona0

I am dissapointed but not surprised. I've seen many similar stories so far 😞 This is scary.

I don't understand why Airbnb wants to keep bad guests and fraudsters and what they want to achieve.

I agree. Having had a similar experience, my opinion is that airbnb would rather keep guests content and happy for return business rather than protect their host community which has taken all the risk. 

The person I spoke with today said it’s better to refund as we want to live harmoniously! 🤯

@Oona0

Ye ye.. she is probably against divorce as well 😛

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Oona0

Would contacting the police or a neighbourhood watch,not be an option now, by telling them what happened and to be on the lookout for doortep scammers?