Guest thinking of cancelling part way through their stay

Guest thinking of cancelling part way through their stay

I have a guest that is seriously considering cancelling due to her work adventure not working out. She has no problem with the Airbnb, it is her job that apparently she is not fond of doing.  She has been staying here since Sept 4th and is booked until Oct 31.

How does one handle this?

Thank you.

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Priscilla150 

It is a "long term stay", so when she cancels she will not be refunded the next,  not used,  30 nights

It is up  to you if you want to refund her some of that (by using the resolution centre)

I  do reguraly "long term stays". I useally use the shorten option ("change reservation") if there is a problem (My guests are moslty students, for them is losing 30 nights a lot of money). The advantage of shortening is (if it is done by host) that the host can change manually the calculated price in the change form to one he/she thinks is a fair deal. After acceptance by the guest the remaining dates are available again and also the guest will receive part of the Airbnb Guest Service Costs back.

best regards,

Emiel

Thank you for that information Emiel.  I didn't know I could handle it this way.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Priscilla150 is your guests expecting a refund? Had she rented an apartment for a year she would be expected to follow through with the terms of her lease or make further arrangements with the landlord. Should the long term cancellation policy really be any different?

I don't know.  She is not here right now, but is on her way.  I plan on letting her lead the conversation to see exactly where she is coming from at this time. Then I will add in my opinion.

Very good points.  Thank you.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Priscilla150 I personally get the guest to cancel. If I can rebook the room, then I manually credit the guest. I don’t think it’s good karma to get paid twice for the same thing. If I can’t re-rent the room however then the guest loses out, I mean ultimately, they should have chosen a booking with a cancellation policy that met their own personal needs.

I agree with you that it isn't the right thing to do to accept money twice for the same space and dates.  That would not sit well with me either.  Your idea is a good one as well in the fact that I would only refund what if I was able to re-rent the room.  I have much to think about.

Thank you.

@Priscilla150 @Matt682 

Pretty much what Matt said. It’s another way to provide a service that under promises and over delivers. More often that not, these things have worked out better than the original (rebooked at non discount rate for more, credited 1st guest, filled a need for 2nd guest, had some left over, win x 3)

Leave the choice with your guest to roll the dice or keep their booking.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Priscilla150 

I agree. If you can rebook the room, refund the part that you get rebooked. Otherwise, unfortunately, the guest loses the cost of the next 30 nights. It should not be on you that her work plans changed.

Yes, very good point.  Thank you.

My guest is claiming extenuating circumstances due to all of the fires here in Oregon. 

That choice was made just this morning after she looked at her other choices to cancel her booking.  I don't blame her for wanting to leave Oregon and this smoke filled area.  But again, that notion was only explained to me this morning.  Consequently she is getting a full refund for what she has paid beyond the one week that she has stayed.

Thanks everyone.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Priscilla150  I really hope you write an honest review for this guest. Blocking a host's calendar for 2 months and then deciding to leave after a week simply because she didn't like the job she came to do and then trying to find any way she could to get out of the rest of her booking with a full refund for the other 7 weeks she booked is really self-centered, rude and disrespectful, regardless of the fires.

It does sadden my heart, but I will just need to make the best of it.  Thank you for your verbal support.