Guest threatening to leave a bad review

Joe60
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Guest threatening to leave a bad review

Hi 

a recent guest claims they had a bad experience staying at my place and had threatened to leave a bad review unless I issue a partial refund! 

Will airbnb remove or block their review based on their messages? Otherwise I'll be forced to give them some money back 

8 Replies 8
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

This is extortion and it's strictly forbidden by airbnb.   Call them right now and let them know what the guest has said.  Go on record with your version of events.    Absolutely don't refund for this reason - if there is a legitimate issue that warrants a refund, that's different, but a guest cannot threaten you with a bad review unless they receive payment.  That's not how this works.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Let them leave the bad review they crave for and focus on working harder at making the other guests very happy to compensate. 

If your listing truely represents the reality of your place then there is no reason to issue a refund. 

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Joe60  Absolutely call Aibrnb immediately!  This is so unacceptable on so many levels.  This guests will be contacted by Airbnb, I can promise you that!  I was extorted once back in 2015, and the guests was stupid enough to put into writing....Airbnb took care of this guest and didn't allow them to leave THAT review.   (even though I deserved a 5 Star review).  This is the same guests who complained about the cost of airport plane food, so at check out (11:00am.), I prepared a surprise To-Go lunch  for both people in this booking AT NO CHARGE! They were spoiled rotten, but during their stay, they damaged some property, which they knew they did, as it was done in front of me and my husband, videos were made, photos were taken , and claim for $54 was sent at check out.  They threatened to leave a "false" bad review if I continued with my claim.  I not only got $54 back from their security deposit within 24 hours from Airbnb, they were removed from being able to book with any other host again.  Shame shame on them.  And shame on your guests.  Make sure to screen capture what they wrote asap.  Airbnb will ask you to send that to them. 

and CONGRATS on your hundreds of positive reviews.....  @Joe60  that's awesome!

IN CASE YOU DON"T HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER FOR AIRBNB - call 415-799-4377.  Amazing phone support Staff!!!

@Maria-Lurdes0  is 100% right too.  thanks for posting your reply.  🙂

@Lilian20  I would like to caution you on giving someone that advice.  When travelers violate the terms and conditions of Airbnb, it needs to be reported.  End of story. 

p.s.  By the way, Airbnb followed up with me to make sure I was ok, asked me if the amount was truly $54, as they thought I should get more, (I appreciated that but declined), and they reminded me that while these guests were new to Airbnb, they would not be the type of guests coming to our home as they were the exception.  They were right.....we have had such so many AMAZING guests since then! I was recommended to raise my rates, which I did.  I can totally understand why I was recommended to do that by Airbnb.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Joe60
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Thanks guys and @Momi0 thanks, I used to care about my guests but now it just biz. My hippie days are gone, people are nasty. 

I contacted airbnb and looks like they have my back 🙂 

@Joe60 Be sure all this extortion conversation is on Airbnb messages, not by text, phone or conversation.  That way, the extortion is recorded for Airbnb to see. 

If it is not, I would send him a messages saying, "just to confirm, if I give you $x you will not leave a negative review?". 

Once Airbnb has this kind of proof, all you will need to do if he leaves you a bad review is flag it for Trust and Safety to review and remove. 

It's always a good idea to keep communication on Airbnb!!

@Clare0. Although wanting to get the proof on the Airbnb platform I would not write your suggested statement/question to a guest.  The guest could turn it right around and say that the Host is extorting THEM!!!

I wish I had seen this thread earlier! My guests threatened to write me a bad review and I'm quite new to Airbnb and didn't know what to do so have them a refund and only charged for the one night that he stayed. I have let him book during the same day and check in early and apparently found the house unclean although we have never had complaints about this and have always gotten 5 stars with the cleanliness of the house. I would've  contacted Airbnb to ask for advice if I wasn't doing my college exams. 

I had a feeling he knew what he was doing as he was texting and calling me privately which I wasn't very comfortable with in the first place. I'll remember to do all contacts through Airbnb from now on!

@Joe60  @Christian-Rey0  @Kelly58  @Clare0  @Momi0 

Thanks Joe and to all (first) responders.

This is the type of information that is so valuable for hosts, especially newer hosts like myself.

I just learned so much and that is why I check in here often -- to learn from the community.

Valuable lessons here.