Guest trashed my home and Airbnb Disappears

Adam321
Level 2
Florida, United States

Guest trashed my home and Airbnb Disappears

In nearly 3 years of hosting, we never had a bad experience with our guests, until a couple of weeks ago. This group of college girls stayed for one night and left our home trashed, and also destroyed our shower door. It was pretty bad.

Following procedures set forth by Airbnb, I first tried requesting $400 from the guest to cover damages. Of course, she waited until the last possible day to answer, stating that she had no idea what I was talking about and that our shower door was already damaged. In other words, she lied about the mess and then lied about the shower door in order to avoid paying. 

So, following procedure, I escalated the claim to Airbnb and filed a claim with my insurance policy (even though my policy doesn't cover liability claims).  After a day or two, I received an email from a representative using the name "Mercy" with a list of requests:

1.  A complete list of items claimed and the value of each

2. For damage to any item or structure:
    - Detailed overview/full length photos showing entire size of the shower and the tub with the damage
    - Detailed overview/full length photos showing brand/model of the shower and the tub 
    - Official repair estimate, invoice, or online link showing replacement cost for the shower and the tub
    - Professional incident report describing the cause of damage to shower and why your guest is liable

*Note: We advocate for the lesser cost of repair or replacement in all instances.

- A plumber's invoice with an incident report describing how the issue arose and why the guest is liable
    - Details about your home insurance; have you made a claim and, if so, what has been the outcome? 
    - Whether you provided instructions to your guests during check-in regarding your plumbing

I was given 7 days to comply with all the demands on the list. Although it was difficult, and the damage had nothing to do with plumbing, I was able to comply with everything on the list within the time period requested. I tried asking for an extra day to get more than one quote (contractors are hard to convince to come out for a free quote), but "Mercy" would show no mercy and insisted that I comply with the 7 day deadline.

It's been nearly 6 days as of this writing, and I have not heard a single word from "Mercy" or anyone else at Airbnb, despite requests for any kind of response or acknowledment that the items requested had been received. Nothing, not even a "we're working on it" reply. 

Has something happened at Airbnb HQ that we should be worried about?

9 Replies 9
Anthony379
Level 1
Cottonwood Heights, UT

I'm interested did you have a positive outcome here?

Hi Anthony, I've heard nothing at all from Airbnb, despite multiple emails and a separate support request. I'm beginning to wonder if they have gone out of business and just left the automated system up and running.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Wow. I'm seriously considering not hosting again. "Mercy" told me, "Moving forward, per Airbnb's terms of Service we are unable to pay for Host labor time." So I really hope the couple in Texas get the reimbursed funds they deserve, although I doubt they will. Airbnb has made me feel like I've done something wrong, and I have to keep telling myself that these people trashed MY home, not the other way around.

Aurora62
Level 7
Groningen, Netherlands

@Adam321 did this get solved?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

fyi, also, the host guarantee terms require a police report for all claims over ~$300.

Good luck getting your local police department to think that is a good use of their time

Do the police in Austin somehow not follow the same rules as police in the rest of the United States?

If I call the local PD and report property damage,  I don't expect to be treated with the priority of a stabbing,  I don't expect an actual investigation,  but I do expect someone to show up and to be able to file a report.

David2875
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I had a guest stay in my home & when he was due to leave he sent me a text saying the mattress on the bed in the master bedroom had “ sank”.

i thought he meant the mattress had a dip in it because it is a few years old but when I returned to my apartment I found the slats on my handmade bed broken...

i immediatley contacted Airbnb & a week later am still waiting for a resolution despite the fact that I am severely ill & now have no bed to sleep on.

when I phone Airbnb I am told that I have a new case worker but they cannot transfer the call to them.

i did receive a E-mail yesterday saying that they needed evidence that my bed was homemade whether it could be repaired or not & more photographic evidence of the damage-basically all the stuff they had originally asked for & I had already supplied!

i literally do not know ever to do next-at the moment I’m sleeping on my sofa & this is contributing to my ill health...

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This is why you should shoot video of the room before each guest. Make sure and include footage of yourself stating the date, time and who is due to arrive. I also have a "Welcome [name]" post it note on the entry door which I include in my video.