Guest unplugs security cams that are disclosed in listing

Lorren0
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

Guest unplugs security cams that are disclosed in listing

We have security cams at our home that we AirBnB. Some college age guests arrived and within 5 minutes disconnected the cams, but only after they texted me to ask why there is a locked door upstairs. To say the least this made us extremely nervous about their intent.

If they would have read the listing, they would have noticed that we have our bedroom door, a closet under the stairs and a liquor cabinet locked because we live there and these are where our personal items are located.   

I waited 24 hours to let them know they needed to plug back in the cams that were disclosed in the listing. I even called to speak with the gal who rented our home and her boyfriend answered the phone and proceeded to give me a ration of s**t about the cams, they are illegal, they are being recorded...etc. He wanted to Facetime with me so I could see they are not having a party with people there. I declined and asked them to plug the cams back in.

Airbnb got involved and they finally plugged them back in but they are so askew that we cannot view anything on our deck where the entrance to the front door is located.

Neighbors texted me to let me know they have more than the two people (paid only for two guests) at the house. 

The guest called me back and stated that she wanted a free night or a substantial discount because this cam thing ruined their night (at that point they had been there two nights and have one more to go.)

She even went as far as to say that they will write a bad review if I don't give her a discount.

At this point, my husband and I just want them out of the house before they do any damage to the home.

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Thanks in advance,

Lorren

17 Replies 17
Michael4466
Level 2
Arroyo Grande, CA

I feel surveillance cameras are generally creepy if they’re watching areas where guests are hanging out (not just the “personal spaces” of inside the home); an exception would be a camera at an entrance. (I write this while currently guesting in a cabin that has 3 surveillance cameras around the decking where we hang out and eat- this has removed much of the privacy (they weren’t mentioned in the listing, btw, which violates Airbnb policy). So I can understand the guests in the situation above feeling uncomfortable and it’s too bad they were jerks to begin with (and didn’t read your listing) and had their jerkiness raised several notches by the cameras.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Michael4466  In the case we are discussing all cameras were fully disclosed. So if a guest doesn't like where the cameras are situated they don't have to book.

If the camera's were not disclosed on your booking and you aren't comfortable staying there as a result you can ask the host to switch them off/ask Airbnb to cancel the booking and help you find alternative accommodation.

Hosts have camera's outside so they can ensure only those who have booked and paid stay/use the listing and to ensure any house rules around late night noise etc are abided by. Sadly there are some guests who break these house rules disturbing neighbours and the wider community. I know of one host who had guests letting off fireworks at 1.00 a.m. from the poolside area. If she didn't have CCTV she would not have known this dangerous activity was happening and be able to shut it down.

There is no reason for a guest to feel uncomfortable about outside camera's that are clearly noted on the listing before they book.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

We have doorbell and deck camera. Both disclosed in our listing. We turn off the deck camera once the stay begins.