Guest used my property to pack weed for distribution

Miguel326
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Guest used my property to pack weed for distribution

Hello, I live in West Hollywood, CA. were airbnb has a lot of issues and they just recently approve hosts to have guest in a shared space, however i rent mine when im on vacation, i happened to rent mine last weekend and the guest used my property to pack weed, in commercial quantities, i report it to airbnb and they act like stupids and say they cant do anything, im scared of going to the police because if this people are involved in drug trafficking they are dangerous. Also my place was damaged since everything smells like weed, they check out in a rush because my landlord came to fix the toilet, which the guy knew prior his arrival, my landlord saw them carrying plenty of mailo boxes and envelopes (probably filled with marihuana); they also left lots of weed leftovers on the floor and my dog ate some before we realized, they left a candle burning to try to cover the smell. Airbnb is doing nothing about it, I didnt want to get the police involved because i am afraid but i am also very upset of the way airbnb acts, they have zero support towards us, they however profit by putting us in danger. Now I see the reason why Airbnb was banned in west hollywood, and next council meeting regardings this issue i will bring my experience, this is a very delicate issue and if it reaches the media we will see then if airbnb cares or not.

18 Replies 18
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Just to add five cents to what @Gerry-And-Rashid0 wrote, Airbnb wants to make money, @Miguel326. Its policy is aggressive, regulations vague, so some communities decided to act themselves. As you said.

Hosts must wary and double, triple or more check everything, including the guests' performance. The only way to survive without loss in this industry.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This whole incredible case sounds so absurd, it could only make sense to one already way off center, so that takes me out of the loop. Good luck.

Omg here’s comes the wolf of Airbnb-street, look dude I work in import and export and if you think you’re coming to teach me a lesson on how to deal with customer and how to prevent crime let me tell you I already learned that in college and in practice. I invite you to actually read and comprehend before coming with verbal diharrea. 

We had the same exact thing happen in our listing (which is in the other unit of our house)! Sorry that you had to go through this! 

In our case the guest booked under an id that was verified but was obviously not theirs which was very unsettling.  We contacted Airbnb and told them about the concerns for the safety of our self and future guests.  They reimbursed us for our locks to be changed and for a professional cleaning service. The support team wasn't very comforting in terms of advice on calling the police but I understand they were trying to cover their butts (and really if you are in a city you know the nearby gang culture better than they do).  Luckily our our neighbor/good friend is a professor of Criminal Justice and so we were able to consult him on what to do in regards to police (and the guests left some checks in the unit with their real names and contact info). 

Also, as a side note sorry to hear about your pup! Our two dogs got into something at a park a few months ago and we rushed them to the emergancy vet at 1:00 am thinking they were dying...imagine the relief when the emergancy vet started laughing at them and told us they were just suuuuuuuper high.  I went from sobbing to laughing at them within minutes. 

To keep this positive, I recommend focusing on moving forward.  What needs to be done to make sure you and future guests are safe and how can you filter out guest like this in the future.   We adjusted some of our instant booking policies and don't take same day bookings.