Guest uses space to meet clients for cuddle therapy sessions

Cristina728
Level 2
Pittsboro, NC

Guest uses space to meet clients for cuddle therapy sessions

Hi all,

We recently had a guest stay at our guest house that used it for meeting many clients and providing cuddle therapy.

We've now changed our listing to specify vacation use only, as her clients were coming in late into the evening and she wanted the bed changed to make her work easier. Since we had no idea who these people were or any control over how many clients she let into the house while she was there, we declined her request to stay again next month.

We've provided amenities for everyday travelers to work easily from our space but this was a new one on us.  Anyone else have something similar happen?

Thanks,

Cristina

15 Replies 15
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

i would have asked the guest to stop running her businesses fro your Airbnb. If she wasn't willing to do this. I would have asked Airbnb to cancel her booking.

i do hope you left a honest review, thumbs down so she can't IB other hosts property. 

You can also block her account so she can't book with you.

Strangely, this person is actually a superhost as well.  She seemed to be doing this many times before at other host's places, so I wondered if this was a common thing.  

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Cristina728, cuddle therapy, really? What will people think of next? First of all, what is she thinking running her business from your home? Secondly, your house rules state that additional people aren't allowed. Thirdly, she has put you at increased risk by inviting people even SHE doesn't know to your home. Fourthly, it is not your responsibility to change the sheets every day to accommodate HER business. I can't believe you gave her such a positive review.

Thanks for the validation. I’m still kinda new to hosting so I thought since she’s a super host herself that this may be more common than I thought. Still felt wrong though ... glad I said no to her next visit. 

@Cristina728, I wouldn't think it is very common at all - never seen anything else like this on the forum. Also, in my experience, I haven't found other hosts to necessarily make great guests - some do, of course, but it definitely isn't a given!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cristina728

cuddle therapy?!?? I had to goo gle what the hell is it 😄 😄 😄 o my god....

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I just did the same! Oh my goodness, don’t think this therapy  form me. Anyway as a host how do you know how far these cuddles go and how sure can you be your guest is not running  brothel from your house. Hahaha!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Operating a business in your home? No way... no how! Never ever! Reason to get Airbnb to cancel her booking.

Consider blocking her from rebooking, and report her activity to Airbnb. Did they sign a separate terms of agreement with you to operate the business on your premise? Whose public liability? Did she operate under her personal business certificate of currency?

Call me old fashioned, but from a security, work, health and safety perspective: TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

I kind of like/approve of the general idea of Cuddle Therapy - however - she is running a business whose insurance would doubtless be invalid in someone else's setting - she's violating your rules - she's expecting more than any guest would (daily sheet changes for no extra cost) - she's exposing your place in a way that is a security risk to you - all without your clear permission.   If you'd have had an open arrangment and accepted this ahead that might be one thing (though insurance still an issue) but it's just not OK to run a business out of someone else's home like that, whatever the business is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cristina728  Thank you for your post.  After 3 years of participating in the CC, this is a new one!  Without passing judgement about cuddle therapy, as other hosts have pointed out, running a business out of your home is a no-no.  While Super Host status does carry some weight, do not assume the host is all that knowledgable as the status is a a statistical rating, not always an endorsement of the host's judgement.

You might not want to state vacation use only as there are many other legit reasons, such as work or education, that would bring people to your area.  

Kanani2
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

It's one thing to set up your computer and do some work from the house. It's another to run a business or a practice, advertise your services or reach out to your client base online, and book people to come by.  You have to be very clear that the place is for residence-use only, and that if they need a place to run their business, you'd be "happy to provide several work-sharing places in town."  
She's putting all of the hosts whose homes she rents for her business at a huge risk, if anything happens -and that could run the gamut from theft to assault. Leave her a review that reflects her practice. Doesn't matter if she's a Superhost or not --she's running roughshod on the owners whose places she rents.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

IMO it's not that she's charging people to come visit her that is the problem but that she is running a troupe of STRANGERS through your home. Would that be ok with you even if she wasn't charging money?

You don't need to re-write your rules. She broke your original rules, just enforce those and don't let her come back.

Teddy10
Level 1
San Jose, CA

I believe this is what’s happening with a current guest of ours. She is only here for “the day” but we have already seen multiple “clients” come and go... and she hasn’t put much clothing on to see them out or accept new ones. We have children so instantly we’re taken aback at what was going on. I’m just unsure of the edicate ir the rules about asking her what’s going on or kicking her out if necessary... 

she friendly, but maybe even too friendly... 

@Cristina728 & @Teddy10, can you both be 100%  sure they are not soliciting? Soliciting can take place in nice apartments and suburban homes, any time of day or night.... by normal everyday people.

Liability? Legality of having /running a brothel out of your premises?

I haven’t got time to check if both of you have NO soliciting or illegal activity in your house rules.. 

Best check and act...