Guest walked in our private bedroom at 5:30 in the morning.

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Guest walked in our private bedroom at 5:30 in the morning.

Hi my guest walked into our master bedroom that I share with my girlfriend at 5:30 in the morning. I was getting up for work and unlocked our bedroom door and went downstairs and by chance I went back upstairs to get something. When I get back in the room and close the door suddenly the guest walks in turns on the lights and just stared at me. And I said you're in the wrong room and he half awake sort of said oh I'm so sorry. My girlfriend pulled the blanket over her and said that she was really glad I was there. Had I not been there or if one of us was undressed or something I would have been pissed.

The guest is checking out today anyways. Should I mention this in his review or not?

24 Replies 24
Deirdre2
Level 10
Louisville, KY

It sounds like the guest was half asleep and went into the wrong room after using the bathroom.  Seems like a harmless thing that happens when you share a house. 

It was reverse. He went into our room trying to get into the bathroom. Deidre, if you were naked and I accidentally walked in on you that would just be harmless right? I disagree.

Well, if I was doing a homeshare style of hosting I would not be naked with an unlocked door.

So, you are aware that he thought he was going to the bathroom and accidently entered your room instead and are asking for advice?  To say what?  "Guest accidently walked into my bedroom instead of bathroom"?    Sure, I guess, though it seems pointless.  

If what you are asking is should you post something like "guest barged into my room at 530am terrifying girlfriend!", that seems grossly unfair.

Deidre, none of your advice has been helpful.

Not helpful? So sorry to disappoint you by failing to be outraged that a guest stumbled into the wrong room at 530am.  Your expectation that you will like all advice offerred seems unrealistic.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Just in case.....  put a big sign "BATHROOM" on the bathroom door 🙂

Thank you for your advice branka.

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I wouldn't mention it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jay235,

Great to meet you. 

Aw, I bet that was a bit of a surprise, first thing in the morning.

It does sounds as if it was an honest mistake by your guest though and he was apologetic. As @Branka-and-Silvia0 mentioned, perhaps a friendly Bathroom sign might just do the trick, especially if there are a few different doors to pick from.

I hope the rest of his stay went well with you.

Hope this helps.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I would mention this. This type of person is a heavy risk. ..If the host was assaulted in some way there would be a different tune being sung. It is no longer a mistake when the guest is just standing there knowing it isn't their room. Likewise, in a review it will warn people of the behavior.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Its never comfortable to feel like your privacy was invaded, but I think you have to have some empathy for your guest who is in a new/unfamiliar place and evidently got turned around. Do you really think he was being malicious or had ill intent? It doesn't read that way to me. It sounds like it was early and he got confused about the layout of rooms.

It's bound to happen again, so take steps to save innocent guests from your anger.

Maybe you paint the bathroom door RED or put a "private" sign on your door.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

I have had guests wonder into the wrong room at silly 0' clock in the morning, everybody naturally assumed it was a mistake, including my full time female lodger.

I think my Airbnb guest was more embarressed at breakfast about the incident ... but it was an accident so no problem.

So @Jay0 I think you need to relax, chalk it up to experience and move on, your guest did not have untoward intent, he just forgot which room was the bathroom.

I think @Branka0 has had a wonderful idea for you to implement.

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Thanks for your feedback. I will implement the signage. One more thing I want to mention is that when the guest entered our bedroom he just stood there like a deer in the headlights. And I was like...you probably should go back to your room or whatever. It was like he didn't get it. If I went to the wrong room I would have just been like oh crap and left. But it was like i had to tell the guy...cuz he just stood there looking at me like he was stupid or something. It was like he was stoned or something.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

You'll run into all sorts of people when hosting. Try not to judge everyone based on your normal. You don't know who has suffered a stroke, who worked a second shift, or who just flew in from overseas.

I have one friend who is hardly verbal first thing in the morning. She's brilliant during waking hours, but if she stumbled into the wrong room after using the toilet she'd probably stare at you blankly while information tried to make it to her sleepy brain. You'd definitely wonder if she was a few fries short of a happy meal.

Take a deep breath. Be kind.