Guest wanting to invite other guest to stay the night with them while they are staying in our home.

Richard466
Level 2
Hong Kong

Guest wanting to invite other guest to stay the night with them while they are staying in our home.

Our house riules specify 'no visitors' as we have had problems in the past with strangers apearing in our home. What should I do?

9 Replies 9

@Richard466

I think with these things it depends on whether your guest really knows this "second guest" or they are just a "casual hookup". If they know them personally and they are friends then that is somewhat more acceptable and you could take their ID and feel a little more OK about it. " Casual Hookups" are somewhat different and I would advise your guest that, that, for insurance purposes is not permitted.

If there is any problem then AirBnb, will not entertain any complaint regarding someone who was not lised as a guest.

Richard466
Level 2
Hong Kong

Thanks Mike. The guest has offrered to give us a copy of her passport. I note your second point about Airbnb

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Richard466

Richard, you don't say whether you are prepared to accept another guest, you just say you have had problems in the past with 'visitors', so it is hard to advise you.

If you are prepared to accept another visitor as an official guest then I have to ask this. Is this stay currently in progess, or is it an upcoming stay? 

If the stay is in the process of taking place you can say that unregistered guests are not covered by Airbnb protection scheme and you cannot take the risk of having an unauthorised guest stay on the property.

If the stay is yet to take place the guest, on their confirmation form, is required to put the names of additional guests and their email address if they have one.

When this is done they become an Airbnb registered guest, and you can advise the guest this additional person would be welcome.

If you simply do not wish to host an additional guest tell the guest that it is against Airbnb's policy to host unregistered guest, you are a Superhost and do not wish to do anything that may jeapordise your standing in the company.

Cheers.....Rob 

I will get him to register the extra guest, then should be fine.

Thank you for the great advice.

Richard

Ann487
Level 4
Waterville, ME

I’m also having this problem with a current guest. Even though she is from out of state she apparently has a local boyfriend who stayed the night last night and she did not ask me. What can Airbnb help me to do in this situation? Thank you, Ann

@Ann487   You charge the same for 1 as 2 and no where in your listing do I see anything about no visitors. You need to address this issue ion your house rules. Here's mine. 

The person who reserves the property must be the person checking in and will be responsible for all other guests in the group. No additional visitors allowed on property without owners pre-approval.

Approval of any additional guests beyond amount stated at time of booking are subject to additional nightly fees, if accepted by owner.

Thanks Letti that is so helpful. I will follow your advice today and update my rules! Many thanks! Ann

Ann487
Level 4
Waterville, ME

So I called Airbnb RE: guest having boyfriend over without my knowledge. Customer rep. did say if person is not on the reservation Airbnb does not cover them liability wise. After some bad customer service advice RE: how the guest could change an ongoing reservation, I finally talked with a case manager who was able to change the guest’s ongoing reservation from one to two pple. That way if anything happens she will be liable. 

So much to learn!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I have a max of 4 guests typically, but have in my listing that I will sometimes accept up to 6.  I have had the occasional guest ask to have 5 or 6 total and in the cases I did not mind and have allowed it.  

However, when I go in to change the reservation to reflect the new number, it will not allow me to exceed the total of 4.  It seems a host should be able to override the max number of guests on our end to have an accurate count in case we need to make a claim in the situation @Robin4 mentioned. 

Am I missing something, or is there another way to manually change the reservation to exceed the number of guests typically allowed? 

Thanks!