Guest wants a full refund, I want to refund if I get another booking. Can I do that?

Han24
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Guest wants a full refund, I want to refund if I get another booking. Can I do that?

This reservation will be my second one with airbnb. She messaged me in the system that her boyfriend just broke up with her and asked if she could have a full refund (so not a qualifying extenuating circumstance I don't think?) My policy is set to strict and it's just over two weeks out so she's due 50%. 

What I would like to offer her is a full refund if I can rebook the property. That seems like a win-win for both of us. I would need to guarantee her payment and free my calendar. Is there any way to do that?

I can't make a special offer since she's already booked. If she paid me the 50% and cancelled the reservation (not sure that's even possible) then she would just have to hope I honor the deal and give it back IF I book. Is that ok with airbnb? How would I collect and refund in this scenario?

17 Replies 17

@Han24 @@@I wouldn't want her to stay at my place at all. She doesn't care or take into account that it puts you in a bad situation. You are just following the rules set up and so should she (and you even go out of you way to help her out with offering her extra money if you rebook) She agreed on the terms when she booked. If it was me I would tell her that she is actually putting me in a bad situation and that I actually need the money. You are not a big hotel with a lot of rooms to rent out. I think she is an ass 🙂 

Han24
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Update: I offered her 50% off and she passed and said she "might" come with a friend. Which left me looking at getting half my revenue for the weekend and no review. So I messaged her back and said,

"I don’t want to hold you hostage so here’s a better solution.

You can cancel if you like and get 50% back and if I rebook I will send you the other 50% through the resolution center (I’m not sure what Airbnb will do about your booking fee).

The only caveat is that you cancel right away so it has a chance to re-book and so you still qualify for a refund."  

She canceled right away with that one and now it's just luck of the draw if I lose the 50% or get another full booking. I also raised the price b.c. it was ridiculously low.  

In hindsight I could have said if you think you'll cancel please do so right away so I don't end up with just your 50% non-refundable booking fee. But it's like I'm asking to get her money and then another guests money not sure how that would have gone over. Bottom line I just wanted to be done with it and open it up again and see what I get. I'm pretty sure it will book. 

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Han24 I would advice not to make any refund unless there is a real extenuating and in that case it's not one.Guests can create any type of excuses only to get a refund so do not fall such excuses.Good luck!!!