Guest wants me to cancel their reservation

Heidi142
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

Guest wants me to cancel their reservation

I'll try to make a long story short: A guest has a reservation for one week over Thanksgiving. I messaged him about a change in circumstances at my listing, and offered him another, much bigger listing with a view for the same price, but due to allergies, he can't accept it. I said I'd find a way to make the original reservation work, but he replied that he'd rather just cancel, which is fine. 

Now he wants me to cancel the reservation, saying he's traveling abroad right now and can't log in to his Airbnb account. I have a moderate cancellation policy, so he is entitled to a full refund if he cancels from his end, but I don't want to cancel the reservation myself because I'll incur penalties from Airbnb. He's getting quite curt and insists that I cancel. What should I do? 

Thank you,

Heidi

12 Replies 12
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Heidi142

Airbnb help article on this topic is here

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/250/what-if-a-host-informs-me-that-the-listing-i-already-paid-fo...

The key part says - If you’re not okay with a switch or your host is asking you to switch without officially changing the reservation on Airbnb, ask the host to cancel your reservation so you can get a full refund or find another home that better accommodates your stay.

You can call airbnb to discuss the penalties before you cancel perhaps but I think if you have changed the goalposts, it is a consequence of that unless you have some special circumstances.

The guest is already entitled to a full refund at this point. And, although I suggested a change, when the guest informed me that would not work, I said I would be able to solve the issue and return to the original plan. They are still welcome to the original reservation. 

Since you are willing to honor the original reservation if he still wants to cancel I would leave that up to him to do. Maybe you can just say "Guests are always my first priority. I will honor your original reservation. I look forward to hosting you on __/__/__ . However, should you choose to cancel you can do that through AirBnB directly. Kindest regards, Heidi"

That way if he does stay things will not be hostile.

Good luck.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi all, @Heidi142@Vanessa-and-Kurt0@Elena87,  Allergies?

If this is the case, the reservation is OFF.  Right?

No fault, no penalty.

Best,

Kim

Not if she is honoring the 1st booking for him. Sounds like he didn't have allergy issues with that one, only the one she wanted to switch him to.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Heidi142 Hello...............if this guest can do all this communication with you ( I hope it is all through Airbnb messaging) then he can cancel himself. Sounds like he now doesn't want to stay in your place. Just write him that you have made everything fine as the initial booking was and HE will need to cancel. Assure him if he does this soon he will get a full refund. And wish him well. 

You don't need to keep worrying about this, I don't think. You have done your part. 

Just watch your calendar for when he cancels. 

Good luck and Happy Hosting,

Clara

@Heidi142

Sorry, don't assure him he will get a full refund as @Clara116 suggested. Moderate cancelation policy is  "The Airbnb service fee is refundable, up to 3 times per year, within 48 hours of booking" he will loose his service fee. Best to have AirBnB give him the financial details.

@Vanessa-and-Kurt0 @Heidi142  Ooops.....I was going on Heidi's info that the booking is at the end of November and so if that is wrong sorry, not trying to misguide anyone.  I will be more careful with my advice.  Best to all, Clara

@Clara116, No worries. As a general rule I never quote any financial stuff to guests when there is an issue. I am worried I will get it wrong or a policy has changed and I don't want to misrepresent. Even when I am pretty sure I still tell the guest just to call AirBnB and straighten it out.

Have a splendid day and happy hosting 🙂

@Vanessa-and-Kurt0 Thanks so much for your reply......how kind of you. Oh, I love to look at other host listings and yours are all really super lovely.  I especially like the close up on the towels and the light and fresh feel of all your rooms.  My husband and I are big kayaking enthuastist so I enjoyed seeing your photo of the kayakers....bet folks love that you suggest this. Best to you and thanks! 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I was asked once, replied that the system does not allow me to cancel their reservation for them.

David
Owen207
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Someone can call Airbnb and get a response? How do you do that? I've never been able to find a phone number that actually works (of course, COVID causes problems but...).