Guest wants to cancel, and I'm happy for him to cancel but I have strict 7 day cancellation policy

Stephen287
Level 1
Australia

Guest wants to cancel, and I'm happy for him to cancel but I have strict 7 day cancellation policy

Hi there, I desperately need some advice, i have a guest who wants to cancel and i'm happy for him to cancel because he thinks my place has a pool which it doesn't! There are no photos of a pool, however I do have another listing on the same acreage property which has a pool, and he's obviously mistaken one property for the other.  So i'm happy for him to cancel, he's very irate because i have a strict within 7 day cancellation policy of 50%.  I am happy to give him a full refund.  He wants me to pay him out full personally before his check in date so he doesn't have to go through airbnb.  I don't want to do that.  So question is, if he cancels from his end, loses 50% deposit, but do I receive the 50%, which I can then pass back onto him my half? Can I do that?

I'd really love your advice, many thanks in advance.

AS

10 Replies 10
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Stephen287. Yes, that's the best thing to do in this case - no returns in cash, refund through Airbnb and then send them more monies using the option "Send money." Otherwise, the guest might take the cash and still apply for a refund through Airbnb. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

@Marzena4, This is one solution, but it won't be the best solution. This way guest and host both loses money partially and causes hassle. As I explained below to @Stephen287 how to resolve this from my experience, best way is to call and get airbnb to cancel it penalty free without any charge for guest/host.

@Ryan59 If you read @Stephen287's post carefully, you will notice that the guest expects direct payment from the host. And that is what I was referring to. No payment outside Airbnb.

As for your solution you are not right with the following: Airbnb will not cancel the reservation FOR @Stephen287, but for the guest. It's quite a difference because it was the guest who didn't read the description.

Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

@Marzena4, You are right. But host (@Stephen287) is not obliged to send direct payment to the guest for their own fault of mesreading the description. And you are wrong about the cancellation, it will be cancellation from 'Airbnb' (not host/guest). Ofcourse guest wants to cancel and following the actual procedures, @Stephen287 will get his 50% share. But calling airbnb and explaing that he is willing to let this 50% go as a act of good will, airbnb will be honour that as he is willing to take no money from it. Just need to be clear on the phone that it stays penalty-free for both guest and host. As I said before, I have done this myself and was sent a gift by post from Airbnb HQ.

Now you are correct, @Ryan59, stating that it will be Airbnb's cancellation. Whether they waive their fees is another problem for the guest. But earlier you wrote "will cancel for you" referring to @Stephen287, who in no way should be the one initiating the cancellation, and your words suggested otherwise.

Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

@Marzena4, yes I meant airbnb will cancel it as 3rd party on behalf of @Stephen287 without any penalty or fees. 🙂 

On behalf of Stephen if he feels uncomfortable with the guest.

On behalf of the guest with Stephen's approval if the guest hasn't read the description. @Ryan59 😉

Hilde8
Level 3
Bundeena, Australia

I have done exactly that and guest and I were satisfied. 

Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephen287, I had similar situation once. Only way and the best way to solve this is to call airbnb customer support, explain them and say that the guest wants to cancel it and you do not want any part of the money for yourself. Airbnb will be happy to cancel it for you, it will NOT be liable for this or WON'T be penalised. So guest gets a full refund. In fact, they send me a lovely present (an airbnb yoga mattress) by post as act of good will. Number for airbnb in Australia is +61285203333
Best of luck and please let me know how you get along.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Stephen287

Would it be an option to transfer the guest to the property with a pool ?  

The guests needs to cancel in this case, it is his mistake.  You can offer an additional refund once you have received your 50% for example.  Guest will still have to pay the airbnb fees - only fair as it is his mistake and his alone.