Guest wants to cancel trip and we would like to offer a full refund, BUTTTT... please help!

Katie972
Level 2
Grandview Heights, OH

Guest wants to cancel trip and we would like to offer a full refund, BUTTTT... please help!

Hi everyone, 

Just as everyone else is reporting: Airbnb customer service is basically non responsive to hosts at this point so I am hoping one of your knowledgeable people can offer a work around. We have two issues currently:

1. Our custom minimum stay rules are flat out not working. We should have a four night minimum over holidays and yet, the airbnb booking calendar populates it as a three night minimum. I think this is a programming issue and I actually managed to muster a response from an airbnb rep after two plus weeks of emails/calls.

2. We have a guest that would like to cancel a trip next year. Based on our cancellation policy, the guest should automatically receive a refund less airbnb fees when she cancels. However, this is not happening. She sent me screen shots. With that being said, I can't cancel it without damaging our host score/superhost status. Can anyone think of a reasonable work around? If she (guest) cancels, can I refund her money by using the resolution center? Or, would I not receive the funds until her original check in date (next May)? I have a group that would like to book those dates so I am trying to resolve it myself. 

If anyone has any ideas on either issue, I would so appreciate it! I am debating pausing our listing on airbnb until these customer service issues get resolved. Its a nightmare for us as hosts and the guests.

Thank you!

Katie

45 Replies 45

I have a strict cancellation policy and thought I was doing the right thing by refunding my guest (first refund I have ever done) as I am sure I will rebook the cancelled dates. The message I received was the same as yours @Colleen253.  The 50% refund will come out of my next payout to pay my guest who cancelled. This is not encouraging me to refund cancellations again.