Guest wants to cancel trip and we would like to offer a full refund, BUTTTT... please help!

Katie972
Level 2
Grandview Heights, OH

Guest wants to cancel trip and we would like to offer a full refund, BUTTTT... please help!

Hi everyone, 

Just as everyone else is reporting: Airbnb customer service is basically non responsive to hosts at this point so I am hoping one of your knowledgeable people can offer a work around. We have two issues currently:

1. Our custom minimum stay rules are flat out not working. We should have a four night minimum over holidays and yet, the airbnb booking calendar populates it as a three night minimum. I think this is a programming issue and I actually managed to muster a response from an airbnb rep after two plus weeks of emails/calls.

2. We have a guest that would like to cancel a trip next year. Based on our cancellation policy, the guest should automatically receive a refund less airbnb fees when she cancels. However, this is not happening. She sent me screen shots. With that being said, I can't cancel it without damaging our host score/superhost status. Can anyone think of a reasonable work around? If she (guest) cancels, can I refund her money by using the resolution center? Or, would I not receive the funds until her original check in date (next May)? I have a group that would like to book those dates so I am trying to resolve it myself. 

If anyone has any ideas on either issue, I would so appreciate it! I am debating pausing our listing on airbnb until these customer service issues get resolved. Its a nightmare for us as hosts and the guests.

Thank you!

Katie

45 Replies 45
Fathi15
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Hi Katie, 
You're right, the payout comes only  24 hrs after the original check-in date. I am not sure if changing the reservation dates closer to anytime now, and then cancelling will give you an earlier refund? 
Just my 2 cents!

Katie972
Level 2
Grandview Heights, OH

This is an interesting idea! I would have to wait until mid September to find an open day on our calendar to navigate it, but good idea. Thank you!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Katie972 

Your listing shows now the "strict" cancellation policy. If this was also the case when the guest made the booking, they are entitled to 50% refund (assuming they cancel not within 48 hours of booking)  If they cancel and you want to give more refund afterwards, you have to use the resolution centre. Te extra refund will be deducted from the upcoming (remaining) payout.

Regarding min. stay set by rules: be sure there are no conflicting options set. For example: If i want to book in november, i see a minimum stay of 4 nights. If i want to book in december, i see 3 nights minimum.

Is that correct ?

Best regards,

Emiel

Katie972
Level 2
Grandview Heights, OH

Hi Emiel! Thanks for your response. She was within the 48 hours initially... at this point, we are past that, but we have been trying to resolve it for a week plus. 

For the resolution center, if I process a refund, would the guest be automatically refunded or would she have to wait until the original check in date? I'm fine with it coming out of our future payouts, but I want to make sure that she receives her money now (not next summer).

For the calendar rules, our November holiday rule is populating on the booking calendar properly and showing a four night minimum stay over Thanksgiving. However, we have a similar rule set for the week of Christmas and it is showing a three night minimum. We have a three night minimum year round and four night minimum over holidays. There are no conflicting rules 😞 I am thinking it must be a programming/coding issue.

@Katie972 Regarding the minimum stay - You have a 4-night min on the 23rd, 24th, 25th, and 26th of December but not the 22nd. Check your rule sets and make sure the 22nd is set to the correct minimum night stay.

Hi Emilia,

Our rule is set as: "During December 20, 2020 - December 26, 2020, guests stay for a minimum of 4 nights." However, when you go to the booking calendar, it does not properly reflect that. I appreciate any and all thoughts/ideas on this though 🙂

Thank you!

Katie

@Katie972  so are you saying the original attempt to cancel failed, and now the grace period has passed? Do you know why it failed?

Re: "For the resolution center, if I process a refund, would the guest be automatically refunded or would she have to wait until the original check in date? I'm fine with it coming out of our future payouts, but I want to make sure that she receives her money now (not next summer)."

If the guest cancels again, successfully this time, Airbnb will refund 50% and then you'll get the option to 'refund in full'. You will be taken to the resolution center to do this. Airbnb will take the remaining amount out of your next payout and then in May, on the original reservation date, you will be paid that amount back.

Hi Colleen,

Correct. She attempted to cancel within 48 hours and the system was only refunding her a very small portion of what she initially paid. She sent screen shots and it was not refunding her properly. 

If I instruct her to cancel fully, will I receive a prompt to refund her in full automatically? We have not personally received any funds from her as their reservation is not until May 2021, but airbnb does have the funds. Will airbnb refund her now if I process through the resolution center? Or will she not receive funds back until May 2021?

Thank you!

Katie

Katie972
Level 2
Grandview Heights, OH

I was reading on another forum that someone suggested that the guest could receive a full refund if they indicated the were "uncomfortable with the host," but I worried how that would impact our host score.

I also wondered what would happen if I changed the guest trip amount to $0 and then she cancelled. Would she receive a refund now?

@Katie972 No, do not do that. The could come back to bite you. When the guest cancels you will get a notification asking if you want to be generous and issue them a full refund. You will click yes issue full refund and then follow the prompts to do so. You do not have the money yet so Airbnb will issue the refund on their end once you authorize it. 

Thanks for your insights, Emilia. I wasn't keen on either of those options, but also would like my calendar to be back open so I can accept the new booking. So, to be clear... if I instruct the guest to cancel, I will receive an automatic email from airbnb asking if I would like to fully refund them. I can then refund their stay through the resolution center and the guest will be refunded in the near future?

My hesitation is that I don't want this guests money tied up until May 2021. We have another group that wants to book for a longer stay so its really a win win for us as the host. 

@Katie972 I am 99% confident that once you release the funds (offer a full refund) Airbnb will give them back to the guest. But honestly, even if I am wrong, whether she cancels or not the guest's money is still held up. It is in Airbnb's hands. I understand you are trying to be a concerned and caring host but the payment processing is between Airbnb and the guest. 

Thanks for your insights. I feel the same way about it, but want to be fully transparent with the guests since customer service is so lagged/non-existent right now. I'm hoping by doing it this way the process will be automated and everything can be resolved sans customer service reps.  I'll give it a go and report back on whether it works. Thanks again, Katie

@Katie972 "if I instruct the guest to cancel, I will receive an automatic email from airbnb asking if I would like to fully refund them. I can then refund their stay through the resolution center and the guest will be refunded in the near future?"

Yes, but be aware that Airbnb makes YOU pay by taking the funds from your next payout. You won't be reimbursed until the original check in date. I just went through this with a guest myself.