Guest wants to check in early and check out late

Guest wants to check in early and check out late

We have a guest requesting to book that wants to check in 4 hours early and check out 4 hours later than our check-in and check-out times. I’m annoyed by this request and my first reaction is to just say no. He’d get a total of 8 extra free hours at our place. But was wondering what you guys recommend out there. Should I entertain it for an extra fee? Or not even go there b/c it will lead to further bending or breaking of the rules? 

38 Replies 38
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I try to accommodate 1 or 2 hours before or after if there are no guests checking out or in on those days.  For checkout, if the guest requests more than an hour or 2, and if no one else  books the check-out date, I offer for them to stay as long as they want that day at 1/2 the room rate.

For both check-in and check-out, I also try not to stress my housekeeper, e.g. I won’t allow an early check-in at 1 if the housekeeper is cleaning at 11.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@David-and-Annie0,

I have a similar policy as @Pat271.  If the space is available, I will accommodate a gratis early check-in or late checkout for up to two hours (that's total time, not two hours each).  Anything longer than that, I inform the guest that there is a $20-25 fee.  We do also offer free luggage drop off.  Often times, when they find out that there is a cost for the request, the guest decides to do some other activity before checking in or after checkout.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

A normal situation. Accept it, if your calendar is free. I have such a requests all the time.

Think about some additional charge. 10% is reasonable for my area.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@David-and-Annie0  I’ve had guests take me up on the 1/2 day charge. It really helps them out a lot when they have small kids and an evening flight home.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@David-and-Annie0  If your cleaners are okay with any changes in their schedule, I would probably allow it. This, in addition to requesting a discount of any kind (bc that's what this really is....) is the kind of thing that I  *always* mention in my review of the guest  Suzy was a wonderful guest and we were happy to accommodate her request to stay an extra 8 hours because of her late flight. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It may be because they need to leave their luggage because they be busy with some social function, etc. If so and not to hard on you, why not? A surcharge would be fair, to you.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If it doesn't mess with your schedule, and the place is free, why not. Will cutting your nose off despite your face make you feel like you've 'won'? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0,

I think the irritation at receiving these types of requests is the guests are already getting good value for money, and then they ask for something extra without also either offering to pay or at least inquiring if there is a fee.  Sometimes it seems like the guests are trying to squeeze the last bit of juice from the fruit, or have a sense of entitlement that their request should be granted, and at no cost.

This discussion is about early check-in and late checkout requests.  We could have a whole other conversation about guests sending messages stating their arrival and departure times which are  significantly outside of the hosts listed hours.  Or the guest who never responded to multiple inquiries from the host for arrival time, then is put off when they arrive early and the room isn't ready or the host isn't onsite to let them in.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Each host knows how far they're comfortable being pushed @Debra300, and as a keen traveller myself, I know arrival/departure flights are often out of sync with check-in times. I'll always be very respectful in the way I ask and, if it's a 'no', so be it.

Likewise, I get plenty of Australians/Kiwis who arrive on very early flights and I always try to  accommodate if a) they ask nicely (as they mostly do) and b) it doesn't put me out.

Entitled guests, nope. Nice ones, yep. But I'm not about to nickel-and-dime somebody for letting somebody in earlier and/or checking out later if it fits with my schedule.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0,

I agree with you.  I generally allow guests an hour or two leeway if they've asked nicely, and it fits the room availability and our schedules.

However, the OP stated that the guest requested 8 hours additional stay.  For me, that extra time would cost more than a few nickels and dimes in electricity costs to run the AC during peak hours.  Most of the requests received are from the shoestring budget guests who didn't want to pay for taxis or take tours during their stay, and don't want to go to a restaurant or bar, shop or sightsee along the way to/from the airport/marina, because it will cost them money. 

@Gordon0   Asking for an extra free 8 hours is pretty cheeky.  When there are no guests coming AND when we have felt people were very good guests we have on occasion let them stay a few hours past check out, but I would never agree to this in advance.  While we have flexible check in times and do all we can to accommodate guests including letting them get keys and drop off their bags before checking in, I doubt we would ever agree to a 4 hours earlier timeframe.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Yes, depending on the guest, and how nicely they ask, it can be irritating. 

Nonetheless, if they ask nicely, we're always happy to try to accommodate guest schedules.

It's usually an early flight or late flight (or both) that compels them to ask. If we have the availability and it's not extra work, we don't mind, and don't ask for additional compensation (again, depending on the guest's attitude). But sometimes, we just can't accommodate their odd schedule, so I'll tell them. Nicely. 

And not to be repetitive (again), but things like this go a long way towards receiving glowing reviews. Well, from reasonable guests, anyway. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Perhaps you could make the guest aware of the value of the request once you determine you can accommodate.  Eight hours is one third of a 24 hour stay and thus the fee could be 1/3 of the nightly rate.  Rather than charging, you could respond with, "You are requesting an additional stay of 8 hours which is one third of booked day, thus $X usual fee.  However, in the spirit of these concerning times, I will be waiving that fee and look forward to your enjoying my home and my area."

Just a thought.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

The worst guests we ever had, asked to check in early, I explained I could arrange it for her to come 1 hour early & she was calling & wanting to arrive whilst the previous guests were still having breakfast, yikes!  They  should have stayed at a cheap hotel. If someone asks nicely, realizing it is  not something they are entitled to, that's one thing. If you know you are not going to have another booking overlapping , that's another. Does someone arriving 4 hours early & leaving 4 hours late essentially prevent you booking the day before and the day after? My motto is "A bad guest is worse than no guest"