Guest wants to check in early and check out late

Guest wants to check in early and check out late

We have a guest requesting to book that wants to check in 4 hours early and check out 4 hours later than our check-in and check-out times. I’m annoyed by this request and my first reaction is to just say no. He’d get a total of 8 extra free hours at our place. But was wondering what you guys recommend out there. Should I entertain it for an extra fee? Or not even go there b/c it will lead to further bending or breaking of the rules? 

38 Replies 38

@Sally221 I like that motto! I'll take zero dollars for the night over a bad guest that pays double.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If there is one reality about hosting is that every host/guest is different, flexibility is often the order of the day in this business. Moreover, tone is also very relevant. My guest's come from as wide a global timetable from the Far East to Europe, and I am in between, which brings up an infinite combinations of requests based on very varied logistics and approach. So I go by my instincts with each case.

Asking others at large if 'X' request is reasonable is really impossible to guess 'correctly', with very limited  information about the guest or the host's reality. The one thing I do try to shoot for is not get into extra charges, since they already paid and in my personal experience it tends to infuse a money dimension to the stay that I rather not get into.

@David-and-Annie0  It was responsible of the guest to ask for favors like this in their initial request, rather than backing you into a corner at the last minute. What I would suggest is corresponding further before deciding whether to accept the booking. Write back to tell the guests how much flexibility you're able to offer and give them the chance to withdraw their request if your offer doesn't meet their needs. 

@David-and-Annie0 

I think it really depends..... I host only international guests and mostly longer-stays. I also never have same day check out/check in. If the request was because of flight times, I'd allow it without much thought.

I understand not all hosts are able to allow this, but if one knows WHY the guest needs an early check in /late check out, then it would be easier to decide whether to allow or suggest alternatives the guest could consider. 

As a frequent traveler myself, if the check out time is noon, but flight is 8pm and there isn't much one can do with 3~4 extra hours with luggage, my first thought would be to ask for a *complimentary (=free)* late check out or free luggage storage. If there aren't free options, next I'd look at options that cost money and decide what works best, all things considered. 

Asking in advance and being specific about times makes it seem like the guest just wants to know what options are available. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of a trip with nowhere to go for 4hrs. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0  Some hosts are able to offer a bag storage option but still keep to their usual changeover schedule. Guests usually appreciate this, but one downside is that those who arrive early and see the place before cleaning is finished will still sometimes rate you down on Cleanliness based on their first impression. 

For hosts who can't always offer this kind of flexibility, it's helpful to be able to direct guests to the nearest left-luggage facility. A seasoned traveler knows that they should either pack lightly or factor the burdens of their baggage into the trip plans, but some people just don't have the mindset for logistics. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@David-and-Annie0  You've been given great advice here already. For me, if I can accommodate an early check-in/late check-out I gladly do it at no extra charge. But that's an extra hour or so.....not 4 hours on both sides.

As it has been pointed out, that more than likely prevents you from booking the day before/after. If the request was a serious request (and not just to see how much they could get away with) and you can accommodate, I think charging a bit extra is fair, and they should see it as fair. And if they balk at an extra charge, they are not being reasonable.

Shanon8
Level 2
Wilsonville, OR

Pat271 How do you charge for the additional fee for early/late check in/out beyond a reasonable couple hours??

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Shanon8 Use the 'Resolution Centre'.

Where do I find the 'Resolution Centre"??

Thanks so much...I am a newbie at this!!!  Appreciate the help!!

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

Sam32
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

yes, If no new guest is checking in the same day I tell them ahead of time that "there is no check out time for you today, stay as long as you like". Yes, if I have the house ready from the night before I tell guest that they "can check in as early as they want". It doesn't cost me anything and I get better reviews.

Hi I have a similar dilemma, a guest (traveling solo) has asked if she can check in 3 hrs in advance and check out 5hrs later. The double room is at a really great  price, and she’s only staying one night. I don’t know what to make of this ...

she says she’s on her way to go pick up her kids and would like to stop over in my town to visit a friend here.....

Normally I’m happy to offer early and late check outs for free as long as they are reasonable & not inconvenient. 

But I can’t help feeling that her request is based on the fact she’s solo, and paying for a double room.  So she’s seeking some sort of compensation ? Maybe I’m wrong:/

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If she's coming to see a friend why can't she spend this time with them? @Catherine2458 

if accommodating her means you lose booking either side then say no.