Guest wants to pay for damaged item

Jeremy722
Level 2
Austin, TX

Guest wants to pay for damaged item

My last guest said they burnt one of our pans and they want to replace it.    I don't want to file a claim against them since they owned it and want to pay for it.    I'm unclear on how to handle the payment.   Can I just ask the guest to venmo me?   It's only $40.

Thanks

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeremy722  You don't have to file a claim to charge them through Airbnb. Just use the Request Money feature in the Resolution Center. They just accept it and Airbnb will process the payment. Or maybe the guest can use the Resolution center to "Send Money", I'm not sure about that.

If you and the guest are okay with Venmo, or whatever direct transfer method, that's okay, too, but communicate with them about it off platform, by phone or email.

Nice to read about guests who fess up and act responsibly. They do exist.

Yep,  we're 1 out of 3 on guests that own the damage.   Thanks for the info!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jeremy722 We have had various breakages/damage in our apartment. In our case most guests own up to the damage and, as a result, we just mend it/replace the item at no charge. $40 is perhaps on the high side to let go especially if the guest wants to pay though.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jeremy722 I've offered for them to just ship a new item to us... then there's no money changing hands, but the damage is remediated