Guest wants to request reservation shortened last minute - will cancellation fee apply?

Jessica14
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Guest wants to request reservation shortened last minute - will cancellation fee apply?

Hello Community!

We have a guest coming in for a reservation that's set to start in 4 days. They sent a change request asking to shorten their reservation. We have a strict cancellation policy. If we accept the change does that mean that they won't be charged for the cancellation? 

I found in the forum that if they didn't show up at all, or left early they would be charged under the policy...but I can't figure out if I accept the change does that mean that they will not be charged? I want them to have a good experience so I'd consider waiving the fee. I just want to understand if that's my option or not. 

Thank you!

13 Replies 13
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Jessica14,

No they would not be charged a cancellation fee as they are only modifying their reservation.  That is why you have to approve it.  

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thank you that makes sense. Since they are asking to modify the reservation below our minimum stay I think I'm going to ask them as a compromise to change it to the minimum stay. That way we're still letting them out of the cancellation policy but also not incuring the extra costs of a stay below our minimum. 

Thanks again!

Hello, what happens when a guest wants to add a night to the booking (a listing with strict cancellation policy)?

Hi @Family-Andreou-Leonida0,

If you are able to accommodate, you can alter the reservation with the new dates and the guest can either accept or reject.  If they accept, the new dates take effect.  They will still have the strict cancellation policy in place, you are just modifying the dates.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Yes I know that, and when I try to change the dates and send the guest new dates the sum to pay is more than the extra night the guest requests. So the guest doesnt accept the alteration sent by me. When he himself tries to change and add one extra night, he also gets a significantly higher sum to pay for the entire stay, and he refuses then to change the dates but just told me he will pay cash (which is not acceptable, airbnb will penalize me as host).

Hi @Family-Andreou-Leonida0,

I have done this before and you should be able to change the rate.  I am not sure why they make the extra night so high but I was able to change the cost.

UPDATE: I just tried it with my current guest and yes, all you have to do is figure out the total new cost and enter it into the box.  Of course, I did not alter my current guest's reservation but did test it and it works.

Dave

David

Thanks but you also use 'strict' cancelling policy?

Guest says when he tries to add one more night to the booking he is asked to pay 150 euro more when the price for one night is 15 euro minus 15% because he books more than a 7 days.

Even when I try to do it for the guest (alter the booking and add one night), he gets to pay 30 euro and not 15 euro.

Maybe I miss something still.

Ah yes! So sorry, my MISTAKE.

When I do the alteration I missed the box where I can write in any sum I want actually instead of accepting the automatic bill by Airbnb.

Thank you Dave for your valueable help and ...patience!

But im still at loss why the guest reported to me he has to pay 150 euro extra for just one night more in the booking.

Yes @Family-Andreou-Leonida0, I think you are missing something.  I have "moderate" cancellation policy set but this has nothing to do with altering a reservation.  Maybe take a look at my Community Help Guide on this topic: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Change-Price-Number-of-Guests-Check-in-or-Check-out-...

Once again, you will need to figure out the cost of the entire stay, with cleaning fees (if you have) but do not add in Airbnb's fees.  You enter that price in the box.  Airbnb will then send him/her the alteration request with their 6-12% fee added to the amount you changed the stay to.  

Dave

David

You dont have to approve it, you can decline a request.

Camille7
Level 1
West Park, NY

need at least 7 days notice in hopes to rebook!!

Yes there's no hope we'll be able to rebook the days at this point unfortunately....but I don't want to offer them nothing and have unhappy guests in the house either. 

Andra3
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I have a guest who has requested to shorten their stay for the second time, the first time I did so without any issues however now I'm not inclined to do so again given it's getting nearer the booking and I will struggle to fill up the space and really beginning to feel messed about.

Will my strict cancellation policy cover this effectively cancellation of days that they are now requesting?

Thanks for any help!!