Guest was cancelled and refunded by ABB because I asked for an ID

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guest was cancelled and refunded by ABB because I asked for an ID

I know there have been a number of discussions about getting and not getting IDs from guests and in some countries there is a government form to fill out. City of Chicago has a vague blurb in it’s ordinance and most of the time I feel that if Airbnb verified the guest, I have complied. I only ask for ID in certain circumstances. I had a booking from a guest who in later exchange told me he was going clubbing and then brining to quote him “friends and females” to the house. He told me there would not be more than the maximum number of people I allow. I told him everyone needs to be added to the reservation or I need to see an ID at check in. I did not know what else to do to stop him. Technically, he is telling me all this in advance and not just showing up with extra people and technically he can book for whomever we wants up to my capacity.  He of course did not want (or even could not) comply and I offered he cancelled. He never did. I did not hear from him after that and he did not get the door code (I have self-check in). I did not volunteer it to him but he did not ask for it either, so technically I never denied entry. As I saw it, he was a no show. On the second day of the reservation, I got a message from ABB that he was cancelled and full refund given. Yes, I am happy that he never stayed. However, my calendar remained blocked, he could have still stayed if he followed my house rules, I have a strict cancellation policy. ABB told me I was not allowed to ask for an ID and that is why he was refunded. I looked the terms of service up and down and asked them  to point out what grounds they used for the decision but so far it is just a BS back and forth with a rep.

43 Replies 43
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Inna22.

What a load of BS for Airbnb to not want to HIGHLIGHT SAFETY for everyone - hosts and guests alike! Carbon monoxide sensor alarms are now front and centre, so why not peoples  faces?

I  ask for Govt ID with my instant bookings, and have asked for it and personal facial profile images in my house rules. I make no apologies and will continue to keep my family safe.

This issue is ongoing and WILL NOT GO AWAY...

HOSTS HAVE THE RIGHT to know who enters their home or property actually matches the booking guest. Especially when I’m opening the driveway gate for them at 2-3am in the morning! How can I tell if it is the original booking guest or a third party without it?

SOLUTION:

1. In the interest of seciurity and safety > AIRBNB will return to asking all persons, hosts and guests alike, to have a frontal facial image for their profile image. (I don’t care if the whole family is in it, as long as the booking guest is recognisable and  matches government ID  for facial recognition.)

2. Hosts have a grace period of two weeks to comply with the changes.

3. Guests without a full face profile image, must update the image PRIOR to the next booking, for a transaction to proceed. (No floppy hats and sunglasses. No mobile phones in front of their facial features....)

WHY? ......... Am I dreaming?

“Airbnb recognises and cares about our global village community. They seek to improve this process through implementing best practises with safety and security for all its members, and sees them as core principles,  complimenting their values and mission.”

💤💤💤💤🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Inna22  I wonder if the CS rep gave you the real reason the cancellation was allowed.  Asking for a government ID is allowed.  Why your dates were blocked is the real mystery.  Are you being charged with a host cancellation?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Linda108

the dates were blocked because he sat on the reservation. It was not cancelled until it was almost over. They are saying it is an Airbnb cancellation, so not the host or the guest. They keep saying the ID is the reason 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  This policy is going to get someone killed eventually, and I'm not joking.  If people are coerced to allow total strangers into their homes, and let's be honest, airbnb doesn't vet anyone or do any kind of criminal background check, with no profile picture and no ability to check ID upon arrival, it is only a matter of time before there is a tragedy.  

@Inna22

This is just crazy.

So now ABB expects us to let total strangers with no verifications, no ID, not on the guest list, any random stranger the guest picks up on the street or in a bar is allowed free and full access to our homes?!?!? WTF~

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Jessica-and-Henry0 exactly. Or not get paid

@Inna0you did everything right EXCEPT letting this no good res clog up your calendar. We can’t wait & assume that guests will straighten up and behave better OR that abb will pay us when guests are bad. 

Abb has shown over and over that they won’t pay when guests don’t stay, no matter the reason. We have to be the ones to proactively clear our calendars when this nonsense comes up. 

At least you didn’t get this guy’s afterparty at your house!

It’s not happening! It won’t happen! I don’t allow extras... no way, no how!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22

one thing is for sure - this guest was up to something ... and he addmited he wants to invite people etc.... so he refused to show his ID for a reason - he didn't want to be held responsible if something goes wrong. So , by asking him his ID you prevented problems and damage and this is the purpose of asking for ID.

Yes, it is wrong how ABB CS rep handled this refund, it is against Airbnb cancellation policy and it is bad business practice... but... at least your home is not vandalized and you prevented possible damage.

Keep asking for ID

I've seen video on You tube ,  filmed byTV station where the house was totaly destroyed when ABB guest throw a trash party. At the end of a video one policeman said : "I don't undestand how people give the keys of their homes to TOTAL STRANGERS. ! "

Well, I don't undestand it either.

As someone here said : "Somebody will get killed "  and then I supose  ID identification will become mandatory everywhere.

In Croatia it was always mandatory and I am glad it is.

@Inna22,

Unfortunately the CS rep answer is right: since you didn't wrote in your house rules that you ask for ID on check-in and/or that all guests needs to be included in the reservation, even if you informed guests about in your description, you can't impose it neither ask Airbnb to enforce it.

Only house rules are legally considered as additional clauses to the contract between hosts and guests as guests need to accept them to book.

I had been in a similar situation 2 years ago with the same consequences (not paid, calendar blocked). I was lucky to be in contact with a CS rep who gave me a clear explanation and a solution. I have a sentence in my house rules that inform guests about: "according to the French law, you could be required to show your ID upon check-in".

4 month ago I had a 2 nights reservation for which, since the 1st communication, guests didn't want to verify neither show his ID upon check-in. I messaged him various times he would not be allowed to check-in if he doesn't want to do it. On arrival he refused, I phoned CS who phoned back to the guest who still refused. Reservation was immediately cancelled on guest behalf, my calendar had been unblocked, my moderate cancellation policy was applied (been paid 75%). He was allowed to review his stay but 2 days after his profile had been deleted before.

The scary part of this is that this guy now knows where you live. People are vengeful and nasty sometimes. He paid 75% of your nightly fee and wasn't allowed to stay. I'm sure some less than rational people would have come back a little later and slashed your tires or do something to get even. You dodge a bullet. The next time this happens it might not go so well for you. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Inna22 this is really not cool at all to read. Sorry you had this jerk and his antics pulled and poor service and dealings on your hosting.

I think perhaps - I can be WAY Wrong here??? but on your listings you write: 

City of Chicago requires hosts to identify all guests. Each guest should either be added to the reservation or present ID at check in.

I think this might be where they ABB somehow got you! You write either / OR .....I would change that language and write: 

All Guests will be asked to show ID upon check in!

I had a young guest that arrived without his girlfriend - looked 15 yrs old - obviously nervous and lying to me when I asked about where girlfriend was?? She was actually at the local crack house/ motel 6, really true, I had a family member that resided there untill we found her. When I asked for his ID and snapped a photo of it - oh he got really afraid -  and I  went to my place (house in front)  and called ABB - they said unless it was written on listing I could not check ID. I had it written. The CS wanted to refund him - that was her immediate approach - I said no way - and it was obvious girlfriend was a hooker, he was lying and I was NOT going to have my place trashed and used as a drug, sex stop for the local hookers and young military in town. I also had said to him you have already paid for my place - and he said "That's no problem"....so that's what got me my monies for the rental. But CS was really wanting to refund him - that was rediculous for sure. I stayed cool - BUT was flaming mad with CS. 

So maybe your writing on the listing should change ?? just a thought, just a guess like alot of stuff on here.

Best to you Inna and happy hosting, Clara

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Inna22,

@Olivier291and @Clara116 are right, put it into Your houserules:

• Government ID required for check in

Then this stipulation in the airbnb TOS applies:

• 8.1.2 Upon receipt of a booking confirmation from Airbnb,
    a legally binding agreement is formed between you and your Host,
    subject to any additional terms and conditions of the Host that apply, …........

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ute42 @Olivier291I do not want to make it stronger terms because I do not want to turn away all my self-check in guests. The point I was making with this guest is that I wanted an ID from all guests stepping into the house. I host a lot of girl trips and if they see that each one needs to be connecting with me at check in, they might go elsewhere as it might be a logistical nightmare for both sides. The rep did finally notice that I have my current language in the listing and did not say it was not good enough. She is reviewing the case. Whatever that means