Guest who booked is sick

Steven18
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Guest who booked is sick

Greetings Airbnb community!

I have been hosting for several years now and this is the first time I've encountered this issue. For the privacy of those involved, the names have been changed. 

Karen booked a night at my Airbnb. Karen got sick. I reached out to Karen this morning to see what time she'll be arriving. Karen responded by saying 'I'm sick unfortunately however some friends of mine will be staying at your place instead of me and they'll be in touch shortly.'

Am I right in thinking this is kind of bogus? I live in the apartment with the Airbnb room so I prefer to know who will be staying with me. 

Cheers and thanks!

8 Replies 8
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Report to Airbnb immediately and ask them to cancel the reservation.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Scam...

Evelyn0
Level 10
Arkport, NY

Like other stated report to Airbnb and keep all communication to Karen via the platform. Let her know that you can't accept other people utilizing her booking since Airbnb doesn't allow for third party booking which is what this has become.

But contact Airbnb.

Pernille5
Level 2
kbh, Denmark

How do I report to Airbnb? My guest has been hospitalised and his mother has contacted me (by making a fake request of her own the days following). His mother was to have accompanied him, but they are now cancelling the whole trip.IF his mother can get into his account, I think they are just within the 5-day cancellation... but it will look bad on my wrap-sheet if I cancel the reservation... and what if there is something wrong with the whole matter? ...So HOW do I get in touch with airbnb?? It used to be easy, i've done it once before (6 yrs ago) but now all i find is pre-written general answers and this community? 

The only real answer I've found is to never make a change on a guests behalf. 

Please help. 

Pernille

@Pernille5 - the guest needs to cancel via Airbnb themselves.  Send the guest these links: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/169/how-do-i-cancel-my-reservation

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

On her reservation is a phone number for Airbnb - she can call them to cancel directly.  

if she doesn't have this: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M...

THANK YOU for a speedy reply! 

I've written to the mother of the guest, who does not have access to his account - and so she cannot cancel. I've let her know that she has to get in touch with Airbnb herself (and probably with her/his insurance company too). I read up on the cancellation policies, but this was sort of a special case. Be that as it may, I've done what I could. 

The links provided will not travel through the message board on a non-accepted request, so I suggested she went looking herself on the community sites. 

Thanks again, Pernille

(I do however miss the excellent drop-down menu that used to be... i had a case in 2012 (?) where my guest-to-be was being very offensive and rude, and I needed to get in touch with Airbnb pronto. The drop-down menu let me chose my state of concern, ranging from - if I remember correctly, "a little worried" to "completly panicked!" and the responstime from Airbnb was set accordingly). 

Pernille
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Use the search function on these forums or 2nd post Community Help for contacts.

Never cancel a booking yourself. You will be penalised.

If your guest is ill they need to cancel the booking through Airbnb by hitting the cancel booking button on their booking confirmation.

They will be refunded in line with your cancellation policy. It's the sort of thing they can claim for on their travel insurance.

Do have a read up on Airbnb Help centre about how cancellations work from both a host and a guest perspective.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

This is why you use Airbnb. Airbnb has  smart people who know how to deal with this situation.

They know more than you know about scams, extenuating conditions, detective work...

DO NOT CANCEL and do not "trade" the guests. Do not let the other people in your house.

Insist that guest cancel.

It will all work out. The worst is you may be out the money (but I don't think so)

BTW, contracts are valid even after death of either party! 

Do not feel badly and good luck.