Guest who breaks rules and sneak in extra guests should not get to leave a review.

Raquel24
Level 10
Gibsons, Canada

Guest who breaks rules and sneak in extra guests should not get to leave a review.

I am a super host with over 146 - 5 star reviews and I cannot understand how a guest who breaks the rules, disrespects your home, sneaks in extra guests and leaves past check out time, is allowed to leave a review.  If a guest breaks the rules they should not be able to leave a review.  

58 Replies 58
Telisa-and-Jim0
Level 1
East Hampton, NY

We caught a guest on our security camera (outdoors and noted in listing) saying they’d “blow us up in the review” because we told them their extra guests had to leave (violation of house rules and town code)!  So frustrating. Airbnb wrote to us that they would not be permitted to write a review and now are backtracking. 

Yasmin88
Level 2
Largs Bay, Australia

Can you please clarify what your concern is with respect to disrespectful guests leaving a review? Is it the potential of receiving a bad review from them after you leave them a bad review?  If this is the case I wouldn't worry about that affecting your listing. If you are polite and honest in your review of them, whatever they say will not match up with other positive reviews other guests have left you. Also other people can view the reviews of that guest to see what they are like as a guest. If they see your bad review of them, and possibly from others, it will be obvious what type of people they are. Other guests are more likely to believe 145 positive host reviews over one negative host review and they will work out that that guest was a bad apple- which everyone knows the possibilities of that occurring.

Transperancy is key on both sides, otherwise one side has the authority over the other. In the end it will be obvious to other potential guests what occurred and who is likely to be in the right.

Also, don't be afraid to give honest negative reviews, just make sure to keep it polite. Never lie about the conduct of a guest to protect your review rating because it won't make much difference to you and you will be doing the right thing in warning other potential hosts.

@Yasmin88 

The issue is this: A guest books for 4 people in a listing capable of accommodating 10, with a no smoking policy and pets not allowed... Booking for 4 is far cheaper than for 10 so the guest hopes to get away with bringing 10 guests for the price of 4. One guest brings a dog and a number of the other guests smoke in the bedrooms and leave damage. When any of these issues are raised with the guest, and perhaps the extra charges for the other guests are mentioned or even charged for, an otherwise open and friendly guest decides to protect their position by becoming confrontational, denying such actions might have happened and then may even concoct some unmentioned reason why the accommodation is unsuitable for them.

All the host is doing is enforcing the rules of accommodation that the guest has agreed to. 

Your point to hosts "Never lie about the conduct of a guest"  is good advice to hosts, but this is more the sort of thing which guests do all the time in these such circumstances... lying about hosts.. and it is the avoidance of this which is sought. Guests being honest andnot breaking rules would be the most simple and optimal solution.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 I don't think anyone disagrees about what the guest did wrong. Perhaps as a consequence of my upbringing in a "civilized society," where even the most treacherous criminals have the right to testify on their own behalf and entitlement to legal defense, I believe that a dodgy rule-breaking guest - who is presumably going to be exposed as such in their host's review - should still get the chance to present their side of the story.

That is a matter of principle, not a misunderstanding of what the issue is or some kind of failure to be properly educated on how civilization works.

Guest tell their side of the story to who, the public? Airbnb supposed to be the middle man but unfortunately it is not quite so. With all of their policy and stuff. Many host felt the blunt force like myself. You maybe one of the fortunate host ; however, read more in this community center and you will understand the bigger picture. I personally allways do what is right as a guest, and if I make a mistake I accept and do what is necessary.  This is the reason why I am expecting similar from all of my guests.  

@Anonymous 

I believe that a dodgy rule-breaking guest - who is presumably going to be exposed as such in their host's review - should still get the chance to present their side of the story.

They would anyway. 

I wasn't questioning your education, only trying to draw on a similar situation and I'm not saying that the host controls the upper hand. Evidence can still directly be exchanged with Airbnb, so both parties get their evidence heard for Airbnb to judge. Because of the confrontation skewing the reviews (potentially in both directions) neither would provide a review but there would be some allocated judgement instead.

It would still be evidence based, and in the event of strong opinions or evidence from both parties a neutral review marker could be used. It would work the same way on the guests behalf too if needed.

Kate873
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I completely agree with you! A lady was supposed to check into my place. On the morning of check in, she TOLD me she was bringing an extra guest and I declined. She then asked me THREE times and tried to make me feel guilty because her friend had no where to stay. I politely declined. She pushed and pushed. Air bnb customer care had my back, I could cancel as I felt uncomfortable (she clearly doesn’t want to play by my rules). I cancelled with no penalties made. The guest then made a really nasty review!!! Not explaining any of the events that occurred. How is this fair air bnb?! 

There is potential to have it removed. Apparently if the guest never actually stayed in your home and they make claims of the home, there is potential to have it removed. Also, if there is anything overly derogatory, that is another opportunity. Just scan through the review and see if you can pick out something to point out to airbnb for removal.

I think having a private button for hosts to honestly review a guest is useful. It’s similar to a landlord’s report  when you vet long term tenants in a traditional lease.

We had a bad experience this weekend but because they have local families we hesitated on leaving a review. We are new hosts and know that they will retaliate even though they clearly  broke the rules and we almost called the cops.

We’ve only been hosting for a month and have worked hard to get the multiple 5 star reviews but we considered if Airbnb hosting was worth it for a sec bec of this lack of protection for hosts in a retaliatory setting via reviews 

Yasmin88
Level 2
Largs Bay, Australia

Is the issue the possibility of unfairly loosing future business due to a 'revenge' negative guest review?

Or

Is the issue how to prove the guest broke house rules to warrant additional payment or cancellation of the guests booking?

Response 1:

Guests should have the right to leave a review regardless if it is made-up, exaggerated or a 100% lie.

Hosts equally have the right to leave a review.

That is the nature of online review forums and is what is accepted when you sign up with airbnb. This can't be changed and shouldn't need to be. 

The bad guest review is unlikely to affect future business because people can work out for themselves if the review doesn't add up or make sense. Why would one negative review over 145 positive host reviews be believed?  It would be obvious from the hosts good track record that the bad review would be false.

Response 2:

There is no host cancellation penalty for cancelling a booking if the host reports house rule breeches through the Airbnb Customer Resolution Centre. Evidence helps to support the hosts claim but is not always necessary.

Airbnb and its community know there are people who take advantage of house rules that's why there is the option for cancellation. Airbnb realises it would be unlikely for the host to cancel a booking without good reason because they would be loosing business.

If your guest causes property damages it is covered through Airbnb insurance. If you have trouble with guests leaving your property, the police will remove them instantly. 

If the hosts discovers extra guests staying without paying, the host can inform the guest that they are aware of this and to pay the extra fee otherwise their booking will be cancelled. More often than not the guest will accept guilt and make the payment over the hassle of moving out and finding different accommodation. 

If they become aggressive you have the right to cancel their booking.

I don't think there is an issue with handling guests of this nature because there are methods to solve  any of these problems.

However, what I do think is that guests with a bad track record (through majority bad reviews and complaint reports) should not be able to book again. 

@Yasmin88 

Guests should have the right to leave a review regardless if it is made-up, exaggerated or a 100% lie.... That is the nature of online review forums and is what is accepted when you sign up with airbnb.

There are not two issues, both are one.

Your first solution is totally against Airbnb Terms, but interesting that you feel this is acceptable when you sign up on Airbnb.

Yasmin88
Level 2
Largs Bay, Australia

If it is discovered after the fact that extra beds were used indicating non-paying guests were at the property, take photos and report to Airbnb Resolution Centre. Contact the guest and request additional payment. If they do not pay, leave a review of what you suspect. 

Guests are likely to try taking advantage first, but when caught out and confronted they will most likely amend the situation rather than argue and receive a bad review. 

@Yasmin88 

With the greatest of respect i don't think you've read enough of these blogs to have formed a complete overview of what going on and the implication of a bad review. 

@Yasmin88 

Guests are likely to try taking advantage first, but when caught out and confronted they will most likely amend the situation rather than argue and receive a bad review.

Possibly guests who would like to protect their existing Airbnb good history might comply in that way, but there is the possibility that new members to Airbnb - or the booking member for a group who is being put up as a stooge will simply re-register with a new ID without consequence.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Raquel24 

But can you prove it?

I had "stowaways" and when I confronted the principal guest, they denied it point blank, so what does one do?

If we were in command of our own business we would just order the whole crew out, but we're not and that’s one of the flaws in the Airbnb concept, in my opinion we are essentially  indentured servants as hosts, if we step out of line we're band from  the platform, Airbnb being trial, judge and jury.

Who has the time to jump through the hoops of Airbnb's self-serving protocols, when you consider Airbnb staff get paid for their time and we as host don’t!

It’s not unusual to hear hosts intone about the days and often week and in some cases month they laboured trying to essentially get justice from Airbnb.

Brian Chesky (CEO and head of community) where has it all gone wrong? I’m not holding my breath for answer.