Guest with Allergies

Erin173
Level 1
Oakville, Canada

Guest with Allergies

Our current guest has severe allergies, but she booked our place knowing that it was pet friendly. She found the professional cleaning to be unsatisfactory, as she found dander under the couch. I have offered to have a professional steam cleaner come in, but she said no and that she'll clean the place again herself. She is very unhappy. Does anyone have any tips? 

17 Replies 17
Jennifer1382
Level 2
Warren, RI

I have a guest in right now who booked our place never mentioning anything about her hisband having ‘severe allergies’ particularly to frangrance.  She emailed at 2 a m saying he couldn’t sleep because of it.  They have 3 more nights booked during a busy wedding weekend season in our town.  Had she mentioned it I could have made her aware of ‘plug ins’ and scented pine cones.  She could have chosen to stay elsewhere and I coukd have booked the space to someone else.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I am afraid that she will a) want her money back b) leave me a bad review.    When she arrived she texted me everything was beautiful and she was sure they were going to enjoy their stay..,  this is a newer space only 5 weeks old. I can’t afford a bad review. Suggestions?  Isn’t it the person with allergies job to find a place appropriate for their needs? I have bad hips so I don’t book four story walk ups.... ‘My bad’ if I do. 

I have now as well guest in. Before the booking she was asking interesting questions, about cleanliness level. As I wrote her, all bed linens are changed, towels newly washed, everything is cleaned. She wrote that she is steril. Hmmm.... what it would mean. After the check-in she was satisfied with everything. She asked what time I am coming to clean. What? I wrote her that cleaned just before her arrival. So she was expecting me to clean every day or every second day. She is allergic!!!!! And here fun begins. In one of the bedroom there is a big bed headrest on the wall, made from textil. It is of course accumulating dust. Another room has just a wall behind. So it was my just kind suggestion, to take another room in this case. She wrote me back she wants I am coming to clean, as she couldnt sleep at all. I want to mention, that I dont take any cleaning fee (maybe i should). About my suggestion to change the room reply was that if she pays for entire apartment, why I have to suggest her where to sleep. Ok, to be nice I changed my daily plan and will go today to clean her room. Yes, today is Thursday, she checked in on Monday.  Now I am also thinking that she can leave her bad review or whatever. We communicate daily, several times. She asks about everything. Even late. And I reply. If stay for the guest is longer (as 7 nights), should I add in comments that if you wish additional cleaning, there will be additional fee?

@Diana1469 As soon as the guest started asking questions at that level of detail regarding cleanliness and informed you that they needed the place to be sterile, I would have called Airbnb and asked them to find the guest a different place to stay. Unless she's planning on renting a hospital room, nothing is going to be sterile. This is the type of guest who is never going to be happy, and her communication before arrival should have been a major red flag.

This guest is likely looking for a discount by whatever means necessary. I wouldn't continue to entertain them. I would send her a message letting her know that if she is not happy with the accommodations, you will be happy to contact Airbnb to have them cancel her reservation and relocate her. That might put an end to the unreasonable behavior.

For stays longer than 7 days, I personally just build a cleaning into my price. I like the opportunity to check on the space. A lot of damage can be done during longer stays, and a weekly check might nip it in the bud.