Guest with a different name

Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Guest with a different name

When you check into a hotel you have to give an id so they can check that you are who you say you are.  We don't do that at airbnb - we rely on the verification process.  I just had a guest book with the name 'Hannah Airbnb'.  Quite obviously not her real name.  She has a verified government ID, but Airbnb tell me that no part of your name actually has to match what's on that government ID which we never see.  I'm sorry but it just doesn't give me a lot of faith in the verification process, nor does it make me feel safe as a host.  I like to know that the person I'm hosting is who the booking says they are.  Both the people at airbnb agreed with me that as a host they would want this too - but it sure doesn't sound like airbnb have any intention of changing this because 'guests want to protect their privacy."

16 Replies 16
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Cari3  I have have in my House Rules:

- A signed rental agreement & ID must be sent to us within 48hrs of booking. If not recieved no door code given.

HI Letti, where do your guests get this signed rental agreement from and how do they send you their ID's? 

@Cari3  Each guest is given an AIrBnB guest email and Host is give an AirBnB Host email. It's listed on the resrvation under their profile picture in the bottom left hand corner. I send the rental agreement as a pdf attachment through their Guest email which bounces to their main email. They usually scan the agreement back into a pdf when signed and attach it and the photo of their ID to my Host email that's listed on their reservation which bounces to my main email. It's all rather simple.

Thanks Letti.  I never knew we could send them a pdf this way.  

Hi Letti,

I know this is an old conversation but I was glad to find your reply.  Can you share whether you used a template for the rental agreement?  And what sorts of things do you include (that are not already covered by the AirBNB policy)?

Many thanks from a new host 🙂

@Letti0 

Hi, I am really confused about this. When I have a rental house to rent out, I have interested renters fill out an application which asks about their job history, rental history and references. The way I see it, a airbnb guest can set up an account and they can book a room without any of the above, is this right?

@Mark4137  Correct. Which is why Airbnb is not suitable for long term rentals.

I tried doing an airbnb listing for an empty bedroom in the house I am living in. I'm kind of wary about letting a stranger book the room that I have never met before. When I have stayed in airbnb's before, it is some of the time like a room that is seperate from the main part of the house or condo. I guess they were kind of like a mother in law suite? So I would enter a pin that the host had given me, I never met the host. It is different if I live in my house and have to hand them a key, kind of like a short term room mate situation but different because they didn't fill out a rental application to get approved.

@Mark4137  I have been a home share host since 2016 (although I closed for 2 years due to Covid and am just getting back into it). My experience has been pretty much entirely positive. But it really depends on first of all, whether you are the kind of person who doesn't mind having others in your space. Also if you can easily converse with people- if a guest is doing something that is bothersome, it's crucial to be able to mention it right away rather than let the behavior continue and stew in silence, counting the days until the gust leaves- easy going communication is key in home shares.

Here are the things that I think have made my home share successful and non-problematic for both me and my guests, some of which may not be possible for you, but I'm just letting you know.

My guests have a private entrance to their room. It opens off the upstairs balcony (as does my own bedroom door). So they can come and go without interacting if they choose.

They have their own private bathroom attached to their bedroom.

I only host one guest at a time. I have found that solo travelers tend to be self-sufficient, not fussy complainers, adaptable, and easy-going. They like getting recommendations from a local for good places to eat, local things of interest, etc.

I have a 3 night minimum (don't want to clean for less than one night) and a 2 week maximum. 2 weeks is plenty to have a stranger in your home and if they are objectionable in some way, you won't have to put up with it for too long. It also keeps it from feeling like you have a roommate. If you find you get along great and like having them around and they ask to stay longer, you can always let them extend if you have availability.

Guests share my kitchen with me. While some home share hosts have had issues with guests not cleaning up after themselves in the kitchen, or taking it over for hours cooking elaborate meals, so the hosts feel pushed out of their own kitchen, I have never experienced that- all my guests have been respectful. 

Some of my guests have been very sociable and we'll end up chatting over coffee, or a bottle of wine in the evening. Others are more private, eat out and seldom use the kitchen and I may not see much of them at all.  I try to take my cue from the guest as to how much interaction they are comfortable with.

I am lucky in that I live on the outskirts of a touristy beach town- guests come here on holiday, so they are going to the beach, surfing, checking out shops and restaurants, etc. They aren't just hanging around the house all day.

While home-share hosts don't have the same kind of issues that entire house hosts do (no one can throw a party in a home share, or sneak in extra people or pets, for instance), you should try to be clear about expectations. Such as the cleaning up after themselves in the kitchen and maybe arranging a cooking schedule if you want to have the kitchen to yourself to prepare your own meals. Such as quiet hours. If you go to bed at 9PM, you don't want guests who stumble home drunk at 1 am, slamming doors or making noise in the kitchen. So it's important to market towards the type of guests who will be a good fit for you, your place, and your lifestyle. 

It isn't necessary to make the whole house aside from your bedroom available to guests. For instance, my guests have use of the kitchen and outside terrace in addition to their room and bathroom, but they don't share my living room or bathroom. 

If you like, you can click on my profile here and take a look at my listing and how I describe the living situation, my lifestyle and interaction with guests, and and market towards the type of guests who are a good fit.

Hi Sarah, thanks for the info. Your place looks like a good place. Having a separate entrance is a good idea. Sharing my place with guests could be good or bad depends on the guest. I have hosted before and sometimes the guests bother my room mates and me so I have to ask them to leave. I have a rental house that I rent out the entire house to a tenant and his father and he pays on time and takes care of the house but sometimes when I go over there to do repairs they fight.

HI Mark, I think airbnb can be suitable for long term rentals but you have to make sure you've set it up correctly.  There are 2 ways that I feel work well for this:

1:  You cannot use instant book

2: Put in your description that for anyone renting over ..........days/months you require a rental application to be completed and that you will do a background check on them and that once approved you will send them a rental agreement to sign and require a govt id.

OR

1:  Use instant book but in
2: your settings put that you are only prepared to accept guests who have positive reviews from other stays

Kindly Cari

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The profile name is not supposed to be the "real name" but when you get a book reservation, the proper name of the booking guest is provided.  @Cari3  I know some hosts do internet searches on their guests, but for privacy sake they cannot do that until there is an accepted reservation.  You can ask for the government ID at the time of check in.  Would that help?

I don't want to have to ask for govt id, I don't always see my guests when they check in and I don't want the extra hassle of doing that  - but I would like to know that the person booking is who they say they are.  The proper name of the booking guest when they made the reservation in this case was NOT given.   Don't misunderstand me....I think that 99.99% of my guests are awesome and aren't people I would be at all concerned about.  I just don't understand why airbnb wouldn't insist on a booking name that matches the verified ID.

Incompetence,  plain and simple.