Should I accept guests with no last name?

Deirdre12
Level 8
Santa Monica, CA

Should I accept guests with no last name?

I have recently had two occasions where after accepting the booking, I still could not see the guest's last name, only an initial  -- "Will C."  Has this happened to anyone else?  I do not feel good about allowing a person to stay in my house without knowing their full name.   Why does Airbnb not force guests to enter their last name when they make the reservation?  I thought that in the past Airbnb did demand this.

Thanks all.

27 Replies 27

@Gail-And-Bruno0 You might add in your House Rules / Additional Rules that you will only accept Booking Requests and Instant Bookings from guests with complete profiles, including first and last name and photo ID. Then, if they do not provide this information, you have good cause to ask Airbnb to cancel the reservation on your behalf. 

Very Helpful! Thank you, the wording is perfect!

Count me in on the disappointment with Airbnb for allowing guests the option for anonymity. I think one of the things that has made our guest experiences so extremely good is that there's a lot of accountability. Going nameless really reduces that. I appreciate the comments of asking nicely for a full name and will do that -- we too are absentee hosts who offer a very convenient key pickup point, but the trust factor is strained by this lousy development. 

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

interesting .. that so many people believe that the given surname is the right surname of the person .. you could write what ever you want as your name/surname  ... given a surname gives no security at all, for that you need to see the ID with your own eyes.

AirBnB has the surname of the booking guest, so why not provide it to hosts?  That way it won't matter if a guest uses a fake name, only initials, etc. 

AirBnB's terms state, "When you as a Guest submit a booking request, certain information about you is shared with the Host (and Co-Host, if applicable), including your profile, full name, the full name of any additional Guests, your cancellation history, and other information you agree to share. When your booking is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the trip, like your phone number."  

Yet, AirBnB does not provide the host with the guest's verfied full name.  They provide only the name the guest decides to use in her/his profile.  

This situation just happened to me and I confirmed the above understanding with AirBnB.

AirBnB leaves it to the host to get the guest's full/correct name, which is difficult or impossible for some hosts.  

This seems like a liability issue, or at least bad optics for AirBnB, should a guest do property damage or commit a crime. Knock on wood, we've had nearly all great guest experiences in our hundreds of bookings. But, if there was an incident requiring a host to call law enforcement, the host would have to say, "Sorry officer, AirBnB chose to NOT give me the name of the person who committed the crime."

In the meantime, I added the following to my house rules for both of my AirBnBs: Guests must provide their full name (i.e., first and last name rather than first and middle, first plus last initial, etc.) plus a photo of their actual face (i.e., no photo of pet, photo taken so far away that guest is not visible, photo with multiple people where it's not evident which person is guest, etc.)

Why on earth does Airbnb jeopardize the very people whom provide the homes to make this whole system happen? This is crazy...and hypocritical. Thank you for your advice.

Owen58
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I just had a guest ask for a pre-approval with the only name given as "The Good". I feel quite sketched out by that. Not even a first name. We have never required verified ID before, and I don't love making it requirement for everyone. Does anyone know what my rights are concerning a single situation that I feel uncomfortable with? 

Nancy822
Level 2
Wolfville, Canada

I have to admit that I am equally put off by a guest with no first name or last name who has made an enquiry.   It's just a "Mr."  followed by a letter of the alphabet.  It automatically raises suspicion when someone is not giving either of their names.  Why wouldn't they?  What do they have to hide?  Why would Airbnb be giving potential guests this type of privacy?  You can't book a hotel or a plane ticket without a last name.  As far as I'm concerned, guests should have to jump through a hoop or two to prove they are who they say they are.  Government issued ID should be a requirement in order to book on Airbnb.   What good is it to a host to see somebody's last name or photo only after they've booked?  How absurd.  Anonyminity should have no place on Airbnb.  It's just plain dangerous and puts hosts at risk. 

Christine2088
Level 2
Andover, KS

This just happened to me with someone who had a verified ID. Support said she must have logged in to change her last name after verifying her ID. In my opinion this should cause someone to be unverified! After hearing this and because it was a last minute local booking, I canceled her reservation. 

Carl28
Level 2
Washington, DC

A setting for verified ID doesn't help -- I just learned from CS that guests can change their name to whatever they want, irrespective of what's on their ID. Considering the "host guarantee" is basically crap (response by Airbnb to guest smoking and setting fire to my furniture was basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), I have no recourse.  Now I am adding to my house rules that if their profile name does not match their ID then I will cancel their reservation immediately (of course by calling CS to say I'm not comfortable with the guest.)

Joseph1325
Level 2
Iowa City, IA

And this is the reason why many guests choose a hotel because of the invasion of privacy present here in this system.  Air B & B has the name of the guests and does a background check on all of them.  It seems a little paranoid to require seeing an ID on arrival.  If they have no previous reviews than maybe I can relate but if they are on good terms it shouldn’t matter

If you are in my home with my belongings, and have my name and address, and can't reciprocate in kind..that's a huge problem!

My house rules say I need the name of every overnight guest to comply with city regulations.