Guest with three identical reviews

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guest with three identical reviews

Hi all

I just received an inquiry from a guest with three positive reviews. I went to look at them, and they are all identical. Same host, same date. Four words only.  "Great guest. Strongly Recommend!"

Guest joined in April, zero profile. Location given is local.   3 ID verifications, including Govt ID. 

Customer Service says this is probably just a "System Glitch" that someone could post three identical reviews. 

Anyone else had this experience ?

Thanks,

Michelle

11 Replies 11
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Sounds like an actual glitch to me but I find out more about a guest by reading their reviews of their hosts. I can't recommend enough the chrome extension "Air Review" when you're in a chrome browser looking at there profile reviews it'll automatically add your potential guests reviews of their hosts in line. Good luck to you. 

Hi Jim

Thanks for the "Air Review" tip. Going to do that right now !

Best,

Michelle

@Jim472  Thank you for clarifying it's an extension! On another post it was described as an app which  explains why I couldn't find it. 

for the technically challenged please could you explain how I do this?

thanks....

1st make sure you're using a chrome browser. I don't know if it avaliable for ie or Firefox. Then just type "AirReview extension" into the address bar. It'll be the first thing you see in the search page. Then just follow the link to install.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle53  You say they are all from the same date, but as far as I've ever seen, only the month and year of reviews are mentioned, not the actual dates. So this could be a matter of a guest who repeat booked the same listing 3 times in the course of one month. The reviews may be the same because the host uses a standard template for reviews of good guests, or, to me, it sounds like one of those generic reviews that property managers with lots of listings post. You could cross reference to read the reviews this host has left for other guests- they may all say "Great guest. Highly recommend!"

That's a good suggestion. I'll dig into it some more. @Sarah977    Update: I checked through all the host's reviews for that timeframe, and I only saw one from that guest. 

@Michelle53  What I meant by cross-reference was to click on the host's profile, then scroll down to see the other reviews he has received from other guests. Then click on some of those guest's profiles to see the review that host left for them. He may leave the exact same cookie-cutter review for all, unless they were objectionable guests.

And if the guest you have received the booking request from only left one review for the host, that's not an indication that he only stayed there once- repeat guests may decline to leave reviews for any but their first stay at a listing, as they figure, what more could they say? 

Of course it could be some review glitch, but there's many possibilities aside from that.

@Sarah977     Yes, I checked, and it's the host's standard response. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Exactly my thoughts @Michelle53 ! (& @Sarah977 ) Even real life hosts with one listing, be it entire place or homeshare sometimes post 4 word reviews - or just "Great guest!" Not every host writes an essay. Where I live, many do just that. And staying 3 times a month is common, especially amongst business travelers. I had a guest who extended his stay at mine, but needed a second booking cos it was too late to alter the first. He wrote two (almost) identical reviews. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

It's a normal situation. I have 3 identical reviews from a lady, who stayed 3 times in my apartment last and this month.

Agree, that from the hosts side, there is nothing so much to write for a guest, especially if you are a distant host and don't meet your guests personally.