Guest won't cancel and plans to bring a dog

Engin24
Level 2
Portland, OR

Guest won't cancel and plans to bring a dog

I'm a new host and I have a guest who reserved our place without checking the pet policy (we have a no dogs policy). He booked it about a month ago and the checkin date is in 5 days. He messaged me 2 days ago asking if they can bring their dog if they keep him outside or in the garage. Before I could reply, he messaged again saying his wife said the dog has to be inside. I told him we cannot host them with the dog and asked him to cancel as there're other dog-friendly places around.

He's been slow to respond throughout this exchange but he's been completely silent since my last message, sent almost a day ago. Airbnb support suggested me canceling it but I would still have the calendar blocked and also get a review on my account saying I canceled a booking. If they just show up with their dogs, what are my options? What do you recommend?

8 Replies 8
Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I think the main problem comes down to the question that are you willing to provide full refund to the guest (if your cancellation policy does not)? Apparently it's the guest's problem that they did not check the pet policy so logically they should eat the cost but in reality most guests will get frustrated about it and that would easily become an argument.

I would try to call the guest instead of waiting for messaging. If they do not respond then just keep your eye on their show up. If they show up with the pet then tell them pet cannot enter your property and ask them to contact Airbnb if they have questions. At this point you have done everything you can do. Leave the hassle to the guest to figure out.

Thank you @Nanxing0. I am okay with giving a  refund. I have a flexible cancelation policy. Calling the guest makes sense. If I don't hear back from him tomorrow morning, I will call and discuss.

@Engin24 In that case you might want to mention these 2 points to the guest when speaking. 1 they will receive full refund as long as they cancel 24 hours before check in time due to the flexible policy. 2 they can call Airbnb and ask them to help find alternative accommodation. 

Read AirBNB policies

www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/accessibility-policy

Contact AirBNB and explain that you (or your wife) are alergic (IF you really ARE) and any animal no matter what guests want to call them presenting danger to your health.

I for one walk with epipen and not going to die pleasing guests

I sent the guest a couple of additional messages and shared 4 properties in the same area that are dog friendly and available in that time frame. I called him but it went to voicemail. So, I assume he either really don't have access to internet at the moment or acts in bad faith. If it is the latter and they do show up on the checkin day without replying to my messages, even without a dog, I'm not comfortable with letting them stay in our house anymore. They might check in without the dog and bring the dog later. So, if they don't show up without the dog, do I have to let them in? If I don't, I assume they can take their money back either via Airbnb or their credit card company and give me a negative review as a bonus, right?

I am okay with refunding them (minus the first night) even within the 24-hour window as long as they cancel on their end because I want to avoid a negative review.

If I wait until the checkin date and cancel as a host, do the guest get to write a review about me?

Enri1804
Level 10
North Topsail Beach, NC

@Engin24 I agree with what the other hosts wrote. I would also keep messaging the guests via Airbnb and suggest they cancel (not you), not bring the dog, or find a local dog kennel. Remind them if they show up with dog they aren’t allowed in/the Airbnb agreement is broken. One good reason not to provide key code until day of checkin. My additional rules/agreement includes a fine. Airbnb need consequences for rule breakers. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Post removed as requested

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen