Guest wrote horrible lying review, after I offered FULL REFUND on ARRIVAL stayed, & LOCKED DOOR

Elizabeth76
Level 4
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

Guest wrote horrible lying review, after I offered FULL REFUND on ARRIVAL stayed, & LOCKED DOOR

I offered  these guests  a  refund, or  another place to  stay. They accused  me of a  liar,  and said that  my  ad was complete BS. They  walked past  me with their luggage and locked  the door on me and stayed anyways. I never  had anyone be so mean,  and I think that  Airbnb should not allow guests  to write such NASTY reviews if they were offered a FULL REFUND at ARRIVAL. How can we  get AIRBNB to  change this  policy.  I  think that  these  people did this just so they could RUIN  my reputation. ADVICE?  HELP?

The Swan Lake Cottage description is a misrepresentation of what we experienced this week at the cottage at Lakeside, Ohio. The description lists an entire home and we had anything but - we had two rooms and a kitchen and no living area at all. We did not have access to a home. We did not have access to a washer/dryer as described. There were inadequate supplies for the kitchen - four plates, four cups, etc. and not enough breakfast food and some was expired. The host was in the front of the house the whole week and we were subjected to screaming, fights, profanity, etc. on at least three occasions coming through the wall and twice in the middle of the night. The outside area was in full sun and no umbrella for the table so we couldn't even sit outside since there was no place to sit inside other than at kitchen table or on a bed. Very disappointed in the host and Airbnb for working with this particular host - a total scam as far as what we paid for and what we never received. To make matters worse, all the Lakeside shuttle drivers knew about this disception and apparently it has been going on for some time and people even leave in mid week to stay at the Hotel Lakeside instead of staying the week at Swan Lake Cottage in the back of a house in two rooms and a kitchen. What a disappointment and feel we should get a refund as nothing was as promised or advertised.

Response from Elizabeth:
There's NO deception about anything! LOL! YOU PEOPLE ARE THE NASTIEST, RUDEST GUESTS I"VE EVER HAD IN 5 YEARS! As soon as you you stepped out of the car, you were MAD! Obviously, in the 30 plus years that you've been coming here, you cant seem to find 1 particular cottage that you like, and stay there, and only there? YOU made those 6 days of my families life miserable!!??. You went threw 4 rolls of toilet paper in 3 days, had the nerve to ask me for $50, and THREW MY BIBLE ON THE FLOOR! From the moment you exited your vehicle, you and your party were RUDE and QUERULOUS. I was AGHAST that you accused me of deception from the mere fact that you DID NOT thoroughly READ the Swan Lake advertisement's description. Therefore, in an effort to address your grievances, I offered ON ARRIVAL A FULL REFUND or REBOOKING, both of which YOU REFUSED. And you opted to stay at the cottage anyways. Just so you could write this nasty Review! You had planned this all along! How dare you say that I run a SCAM? If anyone is running a scam, it is YOU by asking for your money back AFTER you STAYED at the COTTAGE for 6 nights. *** you don't go to a restaurant,eat all the food on your plate, then say you didn't like it , and ask for your money back. LOL! You take a bite or two, then you can taste it and tell right away, if you like it or not, and either ask for something different, or ask for your money back. SERIOUSLY???? What planet are you on? As far as the cottage not having a living room, First, I never advertised a LIVING ROOM. So you cant Accuse me of false advertising. I am a very HONEST PERSON! Secondly, I offered you to come join us in the living room. As I have made many friends this way. But you were the one that replied with “OH NO,we wouldn't feel comfortable!” Well that's what AIRBNB community is all about. THE #SHARINGECONOMY. So apparently, Airbnb is not a website for you! I have never had a guest leave early and move to the Lakeside Hotel. That is a blatant lie. I have fine reviews, and a good reputation here. Not every listing is the same. True, most cottages are the ENTIRE cottage, and are OWNED by LAKESIDE CHAUTAUQUA. BUT BE PREPARED TO PAY FOR THAT OF EASILY $1100 and UP, some even go for $2500 on the LAKE a week, plus a huge DEPOSIT, Brokers Fees, plus cleaning, You have to bring everything in the kitchen sink, pillows, sheets, your own toilet paper even, LOL! There usually is no parking and NO linens, or breakfast. For what other cottages LACK, I have. Thats why I am successful. I am 100% TURNKEY! ALL you need is your TOOTHBRUSH! So Please stop the HATE, ***. If I have such a horrible place, than why am I constantly booked? If my listing is so inaccurate? Than why does Lakeside copy everything I do? From their website listings, to cottage policies, to hotel furnishings? My family and I have been running this cottage since 1934. So ....many people are jealous, and they LOVE TO SPREAD RUMOURS! As far as the Laundry room was concerned, I had to move the bedover a few inches for you to access it. (the door)I would have gladly moved it over for you, and moved it back for you when you were finished. But NO, that wasn't acceptable for QUEEN ***! Sorry, this a private residence, not a 5 STAR DIAMOND RESORT. Since Swan Lake is shared premises, I assumed that if you opted to stay the next 6 days there would be a lightening of your attitude. I went to great lengths preparing for your stay. I purchased a brand new headboard for you, 2 new end tables and 4 new chairs, (unfortunately they sent 2 left legs for the 4th chair). But none of this seemed to matter to you or your party as YOU to RIDICULE ME and MY COTTAGE. And as far as fighting and profanity, is concerned...... None of that happened while you were here. It must have been either your imagination or the television.What type of medication does a 90 year old woman take anyways? And whose body fluid decorated my immaculate bed spread? GROSS! You had such a stench in my cottage when you checked out, it was 3 days before I could get the smell out. UGH! I had tried to call you the night before your arrival, but received no answer. I had e-mailed you 2 days prior, and told you what I offered for breakfast, including the bacon. Obviously, I understand that a "HALF GALLON" of milk, not a "QUART" as you had claimed, won't suffice for 4 adults for 6 days, and that I would GLADLY buy or reimburse you for another GALLON. And the SAME for the OJ. But when I don't Know, whether or not you will drink it, I don't want to buy it in LARGE quantities, so that nobody drinks it, and it goes to waste. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT??? YOU said your husband couldnt have the bacon, yet you scarfed it down anyways; however, there were plenty of CHOICES, for breakfast: Sausage, 6 fruit cups, 6 mandarin orange cups, 12 pop tarts, 12 granola bars, 1 big box of raisin bran, 12 different types of kiddie cereal, varies types of individual oatmeal, 1 box of cereal cheerios, etc. PLUS COFFEE and TEA. So the fact that YOU and YOUR GUESTS wanted ONLY EGGS and OJ and MILK, is YOUR DECISION. SORRY, this IS NOT A RESTAURANT! I OFFER A > breakfast>> mini. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? AS AN HONEST CHRISTIAN WOMAN, WHO KEEPS MY WORD, I have reimbursed you for the 3 days of xtra food that you had purchased. After You DEMANDED at 11:30 PM, a street rant, waking up my neighbors, complaining that you wanted more milk. Afterwards, I did my best to stay away from you, as I knew you were planning on picking an argument every chance you got. But in no way, will I give you $50, as you demanded in that ridiculous note that you left me. My 75 year old mother and father were both here, as well as my boyfriend. You were RUDE and EXCESSIVE DEMANDS made us miserable. First you were upset, by our presence, then you thought, you'd make us you SERVANTS, our should I say “SLAVES” Lakeside owns 200 cottages. They are not privately owned. If you didnt READ my listing,on AIRBNB, this is NOT MY FAULT. I offered your money back! Lakeside cottages, ALSO MAKE YOU BUY ALL YOUR PAPER PRODUCTS! And they certainly dont offer HI speed WiFi, BREAKFAST, some dont even have a TV! Let alone with all the 900 plus channels I have! And yet you complained about watching television on top of a refrigerator. REALLY?????? And the doughnuts, were bought prior to your stay, along with everything else. I see that they ARE expired. , actually they say "FRESH BY" Well, I bought some for my boyfriend, and he ate them, and he didn't die. They are 11 days past the "FRESH BY" date Whooops!!! I did not notice. Neither did he. Neither did the Dollar Store. You might want to call them, and tell them that they are selling 11 day old doughnuts! You act like I'm trying to poison you! You couldn't find the broom, but yet, you are quick to point out "Fresh by" date. For Heaven's Sakes! It is unfortunate that your nitpicking diluted the joy of your vacation. There's an old saying: Life is like a glass of water. ......Some people see it half full. Others see it half empty. Ask yourself... WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

16 Replies 16
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Chuckle.  🙂 

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

It's not Aprils Fool Day today is it?

To be frank, you seem unable to respond to any criticism levelled at you.

In effect you are ruining your own reputation by responding to reviews in such a hair-triggered aggressive manner.

It seem from your listing, this is the second time you have responded this way to disgruntled guests.

As far as your listing goes, I would suggest you need to clarify the accuracy of it. Is it really a 'whole apartment' or is it some self contained rooms in your main house.

Your photographs on the apartment, perhaps to rethink these and show specifically what exactly the guest will gain access to. You have 58 photographs and they appear to me to be rambling - I think they need editing.

No-one likes criticism, but instead of deciding to respond by launching a double barrelled caps lock full frontal attack and calling the guest 'MAD', you need to deal with a bad review in a more measured and professional way, really it goes without saying.

Criticism, whether it is justified, unjustified or constructive - repond to it in an appropriate and measured manner. Find some good book or reading to help you on this.

If I were you I would send a message of forthright apology to the guest you have insulted, I would also contact airbnb by phone and plead for them to remove your response. 

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Elizabeth76 if you don't manage to convince airbnbn to remove your answer to the review, I'm afraid things could go even worse for you... you didn't just overreact, you insulted people over and over again. Not good for business 😕

Have to agree and its not the first time it would seem. I think this person is slightly bonkers to be honest and should not be on Airbnb

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

I'm sorry you had such s bad experience and I'm confident most of thesis sues were with the guests. However, I must agree that under no circumstances should you ever challenge even the most inaccurate and spiteful reciew possible.

Remember your reply to the review online is not a response to the person that left the bad reviews but to all the future guess who might rent your place. You always want your reviews to be positive. There seems to be done nuggets of truth learn from those and respond to that about how you addressed the issue. The other tact is to publicly offer to have them conract you to discuss.

Something like : "I'm sorry my apartment did not meet your needs. At checkin it was clear that my cozy 2br apartment dos not meet your needs. I wish you had allowed me to help you work with Airbnb to find you alternate accomidations and refund your money. I think it's a definite lesson learned, and I have updated my description to make it more clear that you get entire private apartment in my home. I appreciate the feedback about the dishes and I have stocked the kitchen with service for 10."

I think the key point is to never write angry responses. You have 14 days use them! Calm down and write a message to your future guests showing how wonderful and responsive you are. This will help them ignore the negative reviews!
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

Thank you for the lesson in tact. I’m faced with my first knee jerk negative review to me ( after 9 glowing ones! ) and I’m trying to think how to word it professionally instead of “reactionary! Good thing we have s forum to see how we should be!! 

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Elizabeth76 As a host, you have to consider the next potential guest that looks at your listing. What are they to think when they see such a long, rambling rant, from the host? Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to deal with such a person if that's all you know about them? I'm sure you're a great host, but potential guests certainly can't tell that from your response.

Hosts need to be thick-skinned and gracious. No matter how unjustified or bitter the review is, we must take the high road.

Just a tip, since they have their own kitchen I would change the listing to not provide any food. You can leave some coffee, sugar, and some basic spices, but let them buy and cook what they want on their own so that it doesn't become a point of contention or a management hassle for you to keep things stocked. Also maybe have some paper plates, cups, plasticware, etc. in case they need more. While you don't advertise a living area, you might make it clear that it's a small, eat-in kitchen and that there is no living room.

It really looks like a cozy place to stay!

I see and understand what  you are saying. I purposely did not write them a review,because I  did  not  want to bad mouth them, and I  was hoping  that  they  would do the  same. I also told Airbnb  this. I agree that I went over board, but I did everything  I could for  these  guests.  I  NEVER had  that  happen to me  before. I figured that since I offered them the refund at arrival, and  the chance  of  finding an alternative location through Airbnb,  that  they would have  the common courtesy to at least refrain from writing such  horrid misery about me  and my cottage. They decided to stay anyways, pushed past me with their luggage, and locked the door. What was I suppossed to do? I  called Airbnb that evening, and told  them about what  happened, and also told them about their  extreme rudeness, and their petty  demands. I was told by  an Airbnb representative that, if they kept up that  nonsense, that I  should just move their check out date to an earlier one, and  ask them to leave. But I feared that this would  create even more  DRAMA. So  as a sensible and gracious host, I felt bad, as they were elderly, close  to  70 and up,  I had my 75 year old mother come down here, and stay for the  remaining days of their trip, just in case I was missing something. I usually dont get guests that age. I didn't want to move  them out and relocate them, if I didnt  have to. The demands did stop, when my mother did arrive, the rudeness slowed, but  did not cease. When they left, they had a few choice words to say to my mother. And  the  worst thing was that  a few days later, her husband wrote a nasty review, on my Fa  cebook e page that I cant get removed. Thats what really set me off! Because not only were there 1 now there were 2,  Bad reviews, and no one has ever done that Before! Plus I refunded her for the breakfast food! She  has not taken the  money yet in guest resolution. So, I really dont think this is fair! I've asked Airbnb to remove the review, and  they wont! What to do? A person can only take so much! Has  anyone  been in this situation before?

Elizabeth the guest you were backlashing to probably never even read your public response to their bad review.  They would have to go to your listing again and scroll for it.  I can't imagine they did that.  So you were attacking someone who probably never read it. The only people who do read it are your potential, future guests.  And if I were someone looking for a place yours would not be where I would want to stay because you came across as crazed.

And in another post (fireworks) of yours you wanted to "protect other hosts" from people like them so you wanted to post a review of them and were not allowed because the reservation was cancelled.  But with this guest you chose not to even review them.  I would encourage all hosts to always leave honest reviews of their guests.  Not a ranting, crrazed review.  But a calm, rational review.  When you go off the deep end people don't take you seriously and may think you're the one who is out of control. 

Ricardo71
Level 7
Miami, FL

Hi Elizabeth,

Your response made everything worse, you do come accross as someone who would be screaming profanities in the middle of the night as the guests claim.    Never, never, never answer to a review this way.  Try to state unemotionally your account of the events and clarify things when needed.  Watch the wording, watch the use of caps to stress on certain words, and try to apologize if anything at all was not up to expectations.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Well luck or not, I have taken the higher road. I did  request  Airbnb to delete my response, apologized, and offered  her  $100 back. And I  appreciate  all the constructive criticism. It was a huge learning lesson.

@Elizabeth76  Don't feel bad... @Ricardo71  is right. But you did the right thing Elizabeth . I myself have been in your shoes in life, not Airbnb related. Learning situation. It's best to look as though you have YOUR head on straight to the public. .... Even if inside you are unhinged ! This whole situation is the best form of education. . Blessings on you and yours!  You remedied the situation as fast and as best you could. :))  Ricardo was right in suggesting to be unemotional!  

Sherry21
Level 2
Norfolk, VA

Whht do you do when a guest lie, ignore your house rules and damage your place.  Although it's clear evidence of dog hair, ripped furniture and extra people in the unit. Because you report them you Airbnb to be compensated they create a reckles atmosphere to find something to complain about. Such as issues that clearly didn't effect there stay. For an example, They text to tell me that they would be hours later than arrival time of 4:00 but would arrive at 7:00. I decided to clean ; Mop the kitchen again with clorox, ( basically killing time) This was a complaint. After patiently waiting for them over three hours inside the unit. I live one hour way. I simply find greeting my guest more personal therefore I try very hard to do so. Staying that it was a challenge for them to get in when the text Airbnb would varify that they got in the gate due to me  having their names at the gate prior to me coming down to greet them. I wanted to greet them and request a parking pass all at one time. But They were already in and parked before I could come downstairs to greet them. I asked to help with ther bags  and all at once noone needed help. I asked where did they parked they skipped the subject. I thought is was more about them not wanting to be judged by their car. I kindly blew it off. My son told me that it was a lot of people in their car. I ignore him because I thought if was four people I witnessed. Although they did not pay for the other person. They only paid for one extra person instead of three. I clearly would not allow this many people as it is design for only two people. I ask them not to sleep on  my furniture but they did anyway I later discovered that they had another female with them and a dog. I discuss with them how I am allergic to animal hair. This is why I did not allow pets. This family collective heard me but still brought their animal in my condo as a result it cause a allergic reation which ultimately delayed my vacation and on my back for four days. My eyes swollen and face full of fever a very unpleasant experience.

They had two many people there complaining to my life guard about getting into the pool. Instead of contacting me to arrange pool access. The condos I have are all luxury living. This kind of behavior is unacceptable. Please advise me of how to handle this in the future. In particularly how to avoid guest creating lies or fabricating the true to justify what they did wrong. Thank you in advance for your help.

Palmer3
Level 2
Captiva, FL

I just had the same thing happen with two consecutive guests I believe to be related and on top of this was just diagnsed with a crippling neurological disease that the guests went as far to makle fun pf during our interaction. I bring in approxcimately 10k net monthly on Airbnb and because these bookings were each for two weeks I am out $10,000 with two 1 star reviews saying terrible things. One of the guests actually did stay 14 days and somehow was able to get all of his money refunded ($4,500+). I am livid and the Airbnb staff has been no help even with before and after pictures, testimony from police, etc.

Please see listing in question (I have multiple seems this one was only affected for now): https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16857792?s=51