Guests: Couple versus Single

Answered!
Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Guests: Couple versus Single

Adapting your home.jpg

Greetings fellow hosts!
 I would love to get your comments and advice.

I am a humble Canadian host, who lives on-site in my home. I offer solo travellers a private bedroom (with single bed, desk and clothes drawers) and private bathroom.

The  private bedroom is about 175 square feet of space (not including the bedroom closet).

A few guests suggested I offer the private bedroom for a couple; remove the single bed (measuring 39" x 75 "), and put in a double bed (measuring 54" x 75").

To do so, I would have to remove the clothes drawers and get creative in the closet!

Would the end result  be too limiting, too cramped?  

As a host, do you tend to get more guest as couples  versus  singles?   

Again, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Thank you! 

1 Best Answer
Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

My experience:

If you have "special" House Rules or details you need every single guest to do, **don't host couples**. 

If most of guests don't read your room's profile, be almost sure that one in the couple won't have any idea about your space before coming.

Also, **never take out a desk/table from a guest room**. It's one of the things people use to ask for. To the point that my big room don't have any table and I had complaint in the reviews because of that (true!).

Personally, I stopped hosting couples and I truly think this is one of the best desicions I took in Airbnb.

View Best Answer in original post

99 Replies 99
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Harold75 I took a look at your listing, and I have a question: do you find that people actually use the desk in the room? if not, I would probably consider taking that out. What are most people staying with you for? Study? Weekends away? Work? Are they spending much time in the room? I'd take that into consideration. You seem to have good rapport with your guests: maybe ask them what they feel is useful and what they're not using. Small shelves make good night tables: even something that's 1 ft x 1 ft or so is effective to put a lamp and a pair of glasses onto if you're looking to save space.

I'm a traveler who never unpacks into drawers if they're offered. I would prefer to use my suitcase and hang items in the closet. I'd be way more appreciative of a suitcase rack than a chest of drawers, and it would also save you some space.

I would think that offering a double bed would definitely have a positive effect on your bookings. Even as a solo traveler, I would prefer a double over a single, and if it opens it up to a bigger potential market of travelers, so much the better. My listing is different from yours - an apartment in our house rather than a room - but I find the vast majority of guests are couples.

Thank you for your reply!  I especially love your comment about the shelves as night tables!!   And you are correct about the drawers.  Your suggestion of using the closet is an excellent one!   Interesting observation you make - vast majority of your guests are couples. 

I have had 3 experienced Guests asked for couple arrangements. They also wear Host hats, and they are experienced hosts. 

SPACE

There is about 175 sq feet of space.  A double bed 54" x 75 "  is what I am looking at.   Queen Size bed (60 " x 80" ) overwhelms the room!  As a matter of fact, there would be more bed than bedroom!!   

Desk? 

Almost all guests  used  the desk for laptop work and for eating.   

Spending time in house?

100 % of guests spent their free time in their private bedroom.  No guests used living room.  2 guests used kitchen for eating meals.  

People stay for : 

80% for tourism, sightseeing  Montreal 

10 % one night  ( catch a flight/transport, scheduling conflicts,)

10 % work related , conferences 

Drawer? 

5 % and less used the drawers for clothing. 

@Harold75 If you have room for the width of a queen but not the length, take a look at RV queen mattresses.  They're the width of a queen but the length of a double.

@Ann72   Thank you four reply.   That is an interesting idea of all places, the RV market to look for that!  Truly outside the box : ) 

@Harold75 I have a cabin with a loft that holds a full size bed - a queen is too long.  A few guests have asked for a bigger bed.  I thought I couldn't provide one, but just last week I searched for a shorter queen and found this RV mattress idea.  Now the only thing holding me back is that I had a fitted bedcover made for the full...

@Ann72   Thanks for sharing the information.   Yes!  That is a detail  that did occur to me :  What about the bedcover, and the sheets?! 

@Harold75 I know!  Everything needs to be changed!!!

@Ann72  Put the bed, complete with the bedding, on Craigslist or some other buy and sell site and sell it as a package deal to offset the new bed and bedding cost.

@Sarah977  Excellent point!  Sell it all, bed, with bedding.. EVERYTHING .  sell it all! 

@Ann72  Yes, everything would have to be changed. Well, it is an investment.  

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Harold75  Your space is very nice but I agree that a double bed would be nicer. When I look at your space I see a child's room. Most adults I know prefer a bigger bed. I agree with the suggestions that @Alexandra316 made. 

When I have nice guests that stay for multiple days I ask them about certain changes I'm thinking about. They are the ones using the rooms so they see things differently than I do. Good luck!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with everything @Alexandra316  has posted.  I do have a private room and the vast majority of my guest parties are couples.  If you follow @Alexandra316  suggestions, would you be able to add a queen size instead of a full size?  You could put the luggage rack in the closet and probably there would be enough space for a few hanging pieces.  Floating shelves on either side of the bed would be great for lighting and a glass of water.

Since the shared space includes tables, most guests will use that for a lap top.  Also, you might bump up your nightly rate by a few dollars to accommodate the other guest in a couple.

@Linda108 I would have suggested floating shelves previously and I love the look, but I installed them in my own bedroom and they have both been torn out of the wall, despite using proper plugs. They're really easy to damage in this type of application, especially if someone accidentally leans on them getting  out of bed.

@Harold75 If you do go the suitcase rack route, Amazon has some really nice wood options for around $50. Mine have lasted for years, no problems.

Thanks for caution about the floating shelves,  I have some for brochures. I noticed it is sagging.

I do like the suitcase rack idea, Amazon to the rescue, eh?