Guests DONT read carefully directions and address, and after they rate it low In LOCATION/ accuracy!

Veronica2
Level 2
Guayaquil, Ecuador

Guests DONT read carefully directions and address, and after they rate it low In LOCATION/ accuracy!

I have been receiving a TOTALLY UNFAIR RATING in LOCATION AND ACCURACY. Guests have acces to an accurate map, with the exact name of  avenues, and streets as well as references of near shops by my place. Also, the address is written in detail, as well as description of main shops., stores they need to pass right before arriving. Additional to that, i send them a map to their phone numbers with even more details.

The big problem is with those  guests who tend to say; dont worry i will check the map later, or ill tell the driver to take me to your place. They are overconfident. Also  another BIG problem is that in my country, taxis do not use GPS, and most citizens do not know the name of the streets in the north of the city, because we don´t go by those names. So taxis make a big issue, when they actually have to follow a map, so the guests get worry and perceive it as an error of my part.

My place is 2 blocks down from a well-known main street, and a big mall, and the taxis get lost in those 2 blocks. I have to offer myselft to pick them up at the mall due the annoying lack of hability from the drivers to find a place that is NOT in the main road.  That disturbing moment when the taxi driver makes them believe is the most difficult place to find in the planet, cause me to have low rating in ACCURACY AND LOCATION. BUT the REALITY is that my place location matches perfectly with the description and map i had posted in airbnb.

When I have experience guests, that check the map and read the instructions in advance, as well as few taxi drivers  using GPS, people is happy and have no issues with address. 

In my opinion, it SHOULD BE FAIR AND APPROPIATE  to allow guests to rate accuracy and location base ONLY in IF IT MATCHES or NOT THE ADDRESS WITH WHAT THE HOST PUBLISHED? Not based on the perception of the drivers or for ignoring the AIRBNB LOCATION instructions.

Please airbnb team, your help.

8 Replies 8
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Couldn't agree more.  Guests who rate hosts less than 5 stars for Accuracy, Arrival or Location should be asked to substantiate the rating.  

I'm fed up with being given less than 5 in these categories simply because guests are too lazy to read my mind-numbingly detailed description, my arrival instructions and view the map and floorplan.   There is no reason any guest ever should give me less than 100% in this category and it annoys me that ABB's performance metrics cause hosts to bear the consequences of guests' laziness.  We already have to deal with the problems created by guests attempting to enter the wrong properties, parking in the wrong spot, setting off alarms, arguing on driveways and generally making their stupidity the whole neighbourhood's problem.  A low score in Accuracy and Arrival is just the icing on a particularly bitter cake.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The whole ratings system is so subjective - you are doing everything possible to ensure people can find you. However, don't forget that Location also means what they think of the area, not just how easy it is to find you. So it's a bit of a mix between getting there, whether or not they like the area, is it noisy, quiet, safe, busy, residential, etc..

It's a minefield of choices!

Annette16
Level 2
Saint-Vincent-sur-Graon, France

I get low ratings on location when I say in the first few sentences that it's in a hamlet 2km from the nearest village/shops etc, it's marked on the map, I send gps coordinates as well as address /directions. Why do people book it then complain it's in the sticks which drops my rating?
Debi37
Level 2
St Augustine, FL

I have a similar problem.  I live 'near' the beach.  My description says 'near' and further describes that it is 1 mile from the driveway to the beach, which allows drive on and park on.  More detail is listed in my guestbook at arrival.  The price is also indicative of being near, not on, the beach.  I have also added aerial photos to show the location of the house to the beach in my listing. The house is on a quiet street with quick access to restaurants, stores, etc.   I am getting hit on location, although I feel like I have properly set expectations.  At first, I privately messaged to ask the reason for the lower score....response was 'I wish it had been closer to the beach', for example.  I do not believe this is a good reason for lower rating.  There are plenty of places closer to the beach....

I am thinking of changing the listing to minimize the beach amenity, but that might reduce my bookings.  Any advice??

Jessica875
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

I just had a guest nail me on a location review because of other guest confirmation of my location.  It is very clearly marked on the map of the area that I am.  Also, I live in a City where the Downtown is at the harbour and not in the central part of the greater metropolitan area, so I am central, but also made it clear that I am not Downtown, they wanted to be down town so they could party and drink, (which is very clear in my rules that that is not what my house is about). Then to add insult to injury AirB&B sends me an e-mail threatening me to pause my account because of this review.  Are you kidding me?  So not only did I get one negative review because A guest can't read a map, I am getting threatened by Air B&B. 

@Jessica875 I agree that the location rating is dumb: people should research where they're booking before they book. You might want to include a bit more information on your location in your listing, though: one of your listings has the info, the other doesn't. 

Thanks for the Information.  I did not realize that the information does not get transferred over.  I will work on that.  

Maree25
Level 4
Napier, New Zealand

I have just been marked down for location..my place is in a block of flats and the guest gave me four stars for location..her reason?..because I don't have felt on the bottom of my table legs..and apparently I should..for the neighbours sake because of the noise caused by it being dragged across the tiles

Ludicrous!

Everthing else was marked 5 stars

Clearly some people do not understand the purpose of location

We are central to the CBD and the beach..perfect I would have thought..and in this guest case exactly where she needed to be for the purpose of her trip

Go figure!