Guests Expectations

Juliette64
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

Guests Expectations

I am very new to hosting, two months in, but have already had more guests than I expected I would. I have a very detailed description of the listing and ameneties, as well as photos (some of the photos did not load correctly and I am in the process of deleting and replacing) and am offering something that may be for a somewhat niche group. I think some of my guests booked because of the pricing. I have had a mix of great experiences, and not so great. What I'm most befuddled and frustrated about are those who mark my ratings low for accuracy, when these things were very clearly listed in the desciption and every other applicable place. I have even asked guests to review the listing again before they commit. Is there something else I should be doing to address this? So many professional property people have gotten into this biz, that I think some guests are forgetting how it all started, and that we are not all the same.

15 Replies 15
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Juliette64,

You will just get some people who mark you down for accuracy because they don't read carefully, or because they assume some things should be there, even if you stated clearly that they aren't.

Don't worry too much - those reviews will be buried under al the positive ones.  You can just reiterate some points in your messaging, such as "just a reminder that this is a retreat for unplugging, so no wifi" (if that is the case) to make extra clear some of those points people have complained about.

I don’t like to give guests a bad review. I wish they could do the same for me. I have guests ask to use my washing machine they have booked for 1 day and I don’t offer my washing machine. I have had guests just use the machine without asking. I have guests ask to cook as in use the oven. They have been offered a room and limited use of the kitchen (breakfast only). I allow space for them to put things in the fridge and will allow preparation of light snacks. They use the cook top and leave the stove unattended while going shopping. Or they put a milk pot on a wok burner again disappearing into the bedroom with the stove unattended.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Usually the accuracy ratings point to some gap between expectation and reality.

Is there anything you can think of that would be a surprise to people? There's an art to writing up your place in such a way that it's attractive enough to book while also being frank about downsides. I found it helpful to put the big surprises/dissatisfiers at the top of my rules section - like cliff notes - which say I live downstairs with a cat, that there's no bathtub, no full kitchen. If there's any smell, view, noise, location issues etc mention it there.

Your write-up seems really good and thorough, but you could tighten up your photos- have you asked for an Airbnb photographer? Landscape orientation works best with Airbnb's format. I'd rearrange the order so you show the most important ones (like the room they're renting) earlier in the set and save any detail ones for the end.

This is the kind of thing you could ask guests about, too. They can be great sounding boards for "I'd love any feedback you could give on this..." It's surprising what people will assume or "fill-in" with their imagination from pictures. My photos don't show a door at the top of the stairs, but apparently a couple people expected one.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Juliette64

A high percentage of guests do not read a description fully! The things they are primarily interested in are the price, what it looks like, how many it accommodates and the general area it is in. They tend to just gloss over the detail so best not to go into too much description

Concentrate on giving your guests a good experience and you will find their criticisms or rating of your listing will diminish.

I do agree with @Allison2, your photos do need some working on! Apart from the obvious like those that need rotating, little things like, you show a few of shots with snow on the ground! When you are not on the 'race line' at Whistler or Sundance, this just gives the impression that it is cold where you are! Keep the outdoor shots to warm flowery scenes....and on a personal level, visually, I do find your listing rooms uncomfortable! Beds on an angle in the middle of the room like that would worry me, it is just not right....... and your wall decoration is definitely not my style....but that is an individual thing. I understand you are catering for a niche market but it is generally wise to show your listing as mainstream as possible to attract the class of guest you desire. Those walls give the impression you want the guest to join in and do a bit of decoration of their own, and I don't think that is a good impression to give. Many guests do not know where to draw the line.....no pun intended!!

You will find after a while if you have a good bunch of reviews a high percentage of your bookings come as a result of your previous reviews.

Just tighten up you listing a bit and think about the way you want to present your listing, and the type of people you want to attract and Juliette, you will do well!

Cheers.....Rob 

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Juliette64 While you have a cute place, I fully agree with @Robin4, your pictures needs to be fixed and your rooms needs to be changed a bit to attract the general population. There is no need for nature pictures of flowers and poor leafless trees. It's June already, I'm sure your backyard looks a lot more attractive now, take some new pictures. Also, I'm bit confused, you advertise for families with children yet your chair artwork is a strangulation hazzard ... plus people would think: How am I going to keep my kids away from moving that artwork? Also, you have curtains on the walls but now on the windows. It's not an accident that black out blinds are a separate amenitie on Airbnb, most people don't want to get up at first light. Get some curtains, a small table perharps, you can easily find nice ones in yard sales, even in Ikea for a few dollars. It'd make your room instantly more cozy. There are super quick fixes, can be done within few hours. If you are willing to paint (which I think would drastically improve your rooms, small % of travelers are artist) it might take you a day or two but surely will make your listing a whole lot more attractive.

Look at your competition for ideas.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Nice house.

You did not say:

What is your niche market?

Do you want to  attract this niche? or a more general population?

Either way, you must cleverly point out your non-standard details: "mattress on floor" "No wifi"

"kitchen in rehab" "Art abounds"

There is nothing wrong with offering non-standard things. Diversity of offerings is Airbnb's forte.

If you prepare me for mattresses on floors, my first reaction will not be "flop-house"

People: We're funny creatures

P.S. Choose One outside plant picture. Get rid of the others - they don't add anything to your listing

I love your listing and would stay there if I visited your town.  Except that I can't get up off the floor easily.  You might want to add a couple of horizontal grab bars on one wall and move the bed in that one room closer to the wall so an older guest can more easily rise from the bed.  Other guests can use them to hang clothing.

Add a couple of wood folding chairs painted in bright colors, a small folding bistro table and a foldable suitcase rack to each room.  Your guests will appreciate this and the items can be put in a closet when you are using the space for other purposes.

Throw a set of colorful folding camping chairs in the living area or some bean bag chairs or some other soft comfortable portable and easily stored lounge seating. 

What I would do to manage their expectations is to message them right after they book and point out the salient features:  This is a minimalist artist's space.  The beds are on the floor.  There is no sofa and no 'comfy' chairs.

I read your listing and saw that you have blinds for all the windows.  If you add a longer curtain rod the decorative? heavy curtains can slide over and cover the windows as black out curtains.

I love your listing and would totally stay there 'as is'  but I am an unusual person also.

Kerrin

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Juliette64

@Paul154

I agree with Paul. 

In my experience prospective guests are looking for what they want - the area they are holidaying in, price, no of guests for that money.  they then assume a number of things.  as Paul says, if you prep them, it won't be such asurprise.

i would also add, when peoople are disappointed, rightly so or not, they will exaggerate this disappointment by expanding the number of things that annoy them.  sometimes the feeling of disappointment is enough to respond with spite both by theft and by review.

also, regardless of how much you work to do a good job there are always people that just have it in for you.

regardless of your pics and no wifi, no tv and beds close to the floor, you've still done a really good job.  if the cancelation was some kind of mistake i would explain to BNB in order to have it removed.

🙂

Em

Hukawai Lodge

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/15418840

Nurit0
Level 1
Ramat HaSharon, Israel

hi juliette.i feel the same ///i have e beautiful old nd historical house wich is very hard to meintain shine and clean as in hotels -dust is one of the problms ///i felt very sad that young women that came for just one night left me such revew blaming me of derty **bleep**s and towels that just came out from washingmachine or had time to serch for dust with the finger -and al of that with a lot of cruelty.i need to realize that their are people like that -that serch just for the bad insted of seing the good and original.not mentioned that they asked for my help with something and that i was avaliable to solv in time all isues.this villa was already a year in airbnb under another host that has 900 revew and never had complains and now a yaer after the villa is in much better conditions.i unswered in public to al claims but airbnb wrote me that im in a risk of suspention///do you have any advise for me?thanks

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Juliette64, hi, I agree with all of the above. 

It would also help to add into your Summary the description 'minimal' as in" "Minimal and relaxed informal interior" to give better expectations.

And included at the end:

- No WiFi

- No TV 

Pple unfortunately don't read and follow wishful thinking, so what could be conceived as shortcomings of an accommodation is best specified clearly and as visible as possible.

And for ex. when I answer inquiries or requests I always have guests confirm they've read in the description+seen in the pictures the type of room, the multitude of steep stairs, my weekday working times from home before pre-approving or accepting.

But with IB turned on you mostly won't be able to really vet or converse with potential guests before booking, yet you could prepare your pre-booking message accordingly: word it somehow to include reminder of your 'weak' spots, esp. if these are repeat concerns. As a couple of your reviews have stated not having WiFi or TV, those would be points I'd really point out since not having WiFi has become extremely unusual in most places in today's world.

Even if that eventually only manages to deter a smaller percentage of guests actually looking for something else, it will probably save you the irritation of that percentage of less than really good reviews.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

@Juliette64 I came in a little late. I see you have addressed many of the comments regarding spelling out no TV or WiFi. I think the listing is pretty straight forward. I also read the comments and notice some say you have no flatware, cookware, or utensils in the kitchen, and no curtains on the windows. Get to a fleamarket or yard sale and take care of those things. Also, you may consider a platform/low profile bedframe from Amazon ($74 and up). You will still have the simplicity but it will be easier on guests to get up off the mattress.

Read other listings to get an idea of what to include. Look at other's photos to get an idea of what to post. Robin gave you some excellent advice on photos. He helped me as well. But remember people don't read, and you can't please everyone. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I have awful pics of my place and am booked 75% of the time.  The attraction to my place is our proximity and price...and the reviews about me.  All I really have is myself and personality that can set me apart from other listings.  I TOTALLY agree about how people forget how Airbnb started...you think investors are squeezing folks out in Indy..here in Las Vegas it's investors taking over neighborhoods to use Airbnb, there is so much competition.  It's to the point that these investors for vacation rentals are driving up the market and the home values are blowing up.  It's a good and bad thing...bad for me because I cannot compete with the fancy staged homes people can rent on Airbnb.  I feel like who I get as guests are the people who cannot afford to rent those fancy homes and they are sometimes much less desirable guests who, even though they cannot afford the fancy house they think they should get it on their budget and treat me accordingly lol.

I  recommend metal frames for your matresses, curtains...simple BASIC kitchen stuff.  Trust me...I am the cheapest cheapskate alive and only shop Goodwill on 50% off days and use Craig's List for free items. Add things little by little as you find them in your price range (mine is always free lol) You can find what people are saying they want in your reviews for cheap or nearly free if you have time on your hands...then people will start raving in your reviews and the accuracy won't matter...they will see what poeple say in the reviews. Reviews are also very sketchy---there are a ton of variables involved, so don't obssess too much over them.  

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Juliette64:  I haven't read the other Hosts' responses because this same issue is my pet peeve.  Bottom Line Juliette:  Guests do NOT read.  Period.  They say they do, but most do not.  What I've learned is to always be seek ways to revise your listing to improve it, including making important items clear so they see it.  We've been dinged several times for location, although we specifically say, "We're not remote and have neighbors," although we live in the mountains and have a quiet home.  WHAT???!!!  That's not fair.   For months I had long House Rules with some specificity about a few important things, and some people complained about how they were offended at the length of the house rules because they were responsible Guests.  So, after numerous complaints, I shortened it and put some of the House Rules stuff in the House Manual.  After months of this, we've had more damage to our beautiful home than we had before, and people are not doing what we're asking them to do in the House Manual (to prevent damage).  So, our House Rules are now longer again, and we've actually become more emphatic in the House Rules that damages due to negligence are no longer ignore.  It's frustrating - my point is that I think you should be always thinking about how to improve your listing to protect yourself and increase business (looking at other similar listings & reading this great Community Help resource) and help make people see what is most important items in your listing.  Most people don't read - so I make it clear in my response to their booking request that they need to go read it, or they could be responsible for something.  So many Guests just see our Airbnb homes as hotels and that damages go with the territory.  Hey!  I think I just came up with a good statement for my listing.  Good Luck.  Lois

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Hi @Juliette64 , you got some great advice and pointers here from various hosts, specifically about your pictures, and the sad fact that guests are just not reading the detailed explanation a host provides. I would work on the pictures asap, at least make the ones that are tilted upright, that would just take 20 minutes or so: some  people might take it as an indication of how you are  taking care of your listing ( and hosting?), and you would want to come across as a professional.

The good news is that you got plenty of requests and bookings, wonderful! 

The not so good news is that your overall rating shows 4 stars:  the bottom line is that to remain a successful host you simply need  better ratings, or Airbnb will be on your back before you know it. It's great how pro-active you are in immediately addressing specific complaints from  guests, such  as  mattresses on the floor, (when actually you have  low platform beds), no TV, etc..,  by making it more specific in your listing. But then it comes around again to guests not reading it!

Here are two ideas that have not been addressed yet by other answers you got:

1.) perhaps give up on IB for a while - that would give you more opportunity to screen your guests and to possibly decline the ones you know will not be a good fit for you = better selection of your guests would help augment your ratings.

2.) dealing with the expectations you cannot meet, here is a "far out" suggestion to meet them: how about you limit your max. people count to 4 - and you convert one of the guest rooms into a sort of living room, with a couch and a TV? Can all be done without spending too much money, just as the curtains wouldn't be too costly. Unless you are against that idea on principle, it sure would solve a lot of those issues guests bring up repeatedly. Or, as someone suggested, you need to focus more  in detail on who your niche market guest is and only accept that kind of guest, but again, being on IB will not accomplish that goal.

So, I advise to make some changes: either accommodating more main stream people and their typical needs by adding TV, wifi, a couch, curtains, etc., , or only accepting your niche market people by selecting them very carefully.

Good luck and happy hosting to you!