Guests Expectations

Tina240
Level 2
Lyons, NE

Guests Expectations

I am new to hosting, only two months now.  Even though my rooms are full most of the time, a couple of my guests  have left me a four star rating due to cleanliness. One stating dust, and the other stating the bathroom, (which is shared with other guests) could have been better.  My home is 125 years old and it's in the middle of renovations. The dust is extremely minimal, and only in the areas of renovation, which is blocked off from the remainder of the house. As far as the bathroom,  I clean it every day with bleach. However, it does have a slight discoloration in the old bathtub. I feel these guess were expecting a five-star hotel rather than a room to rent for the night or two they were here. I  provide lots of little extras such as fruits cereal milk water and a little essentials that they may have forgotten . What else can I do to prevent the lower ratings when my house is clearly stated as being under renovations? 

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps during your guest selection you should ask them: 'Are you a fan of the TV program 'Monk'? That will give you a clue they may not fit your place. You said you like humor. 🙂

You have a temporary situation, remodeling your home, perhaps accepting not 'perfect' scores would be easier on you.  You do come across very well, and your guest do appear to be very happy with your most ~charming and interesting~ home.

Sean14
Level 5
Northampton, United Kingdom

I have the same issue - guests expecting too much for the price. The advice I have received which I'm trying to follow is to be up front with all the guests about the condition before they book. Then they have the right expectations before they arrive.

Tanya109
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

I have added extra info about my place to explain what appears to be dirty is rust and or hard water stains. I was getting low rate in cleanliness and figured out why. In a home like yours the same is true...perhaps a little more detail for them will help. My place is in the woods so I even let people know there is dust and bugs etc.  Unavoidable:)

Thank you Tanya. I will add that in and see if that helps. I guess it really isn't a major issue, however as you said, when there are things going on such as the construction and as old as the house is I should probably note that so it is very clear.

Krys0
Level 2
Orlando, FL

My listing clearly states it is a small rustic cabin in the woods on a lake in Florida with vintage camp furnishings, creeky floorboards and steep ladder to original treehouse. A 4 rating for cleanliness when the Cypress needles blow in from the deck, the seats in the canoe have to be cleaned off or the tiny lizards peek at them from atop the boatdock are enough to drive me crazy! I currently have 4 senior citizens...what were they thinking?!?!...and they are complaining about the mulched path to the cabin. I have added everything possible to my listing but guests only read what they want. Our ratings suffer as a result.

Hi Krys,

i agree with you 100%!  How much more clear can it be? I find that many guests expect a five star hotel for an inexpensive stay no matter how clear your listings are stated. My own ratings have suffered due to my location in a small town  and because I am restoring my 1800s home (Also clearly stated in my listings).

Most of my guests are great and are thrilled to see the renovations taking place. However, there have been a handful who are simply besides themselves because they “didn’t know”, even after we had extensive conversations before their arrival. 

I have had several conversations with AirBnB representatives regarding this same issue. They need to do something to help prevent their hosts from suffering the consequences of poor reviews simply because the guests didn’t read, nor question the accommodations, nor did they care until review time.

I feel your pain! 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Tina240 

You have done the impossible.

You have Superhost status in spite of having a shared bathroom

Brava! 

I offer both full apartments and rooms with shared bathrooms. I consistantly high marks on the apartments and get downgraded on the shared bathroom units.

You are a very good host. Don't change a thing